Carson Pirie Scott parent Bon-Ton Inc...

Carson Pirie Scott parent Bon-Ton Inc. to lay off 1,150

There are 14 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 29, 2009, titled Carson Pirie Scott parent Bon-Ton Inc. to lay off 1,150. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Bon-Ton Stores Inc. , parent of Carson Pirie Scott, plans to eliminate 1,150 corporate and store jobs as part of an effort to reduce expenses as it grapples with the recession.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Steve

Miamisburg, OH

#1 Jan 30, 2009
Well, it appears having multiple nameplates isn't the answer in 2009. Macy's was right on. Bankruptcy is imminent for Bon-Ton. It is not expected to survive.
kevin

Aurora, IL

#2 Jan 30, 2009
I was one of the managers let go in illinois. for 7 years I worked there, and they went off of years of service instead of productivity. They let go of myself and another manager who literally did everything for that store. I worked 10 or 12 hour shifts everyday doing all I could. Were as they kept managers that have been with the company for 18 years and honestly still can not do their job on their own. the Bon-ton is one of the mist illogical corporation. They keep managers not because of their productivity but how many useless years they gave to the company, and tell me why the CEO bud has 22.7 million shares and still collects a HUGE salary along with the rest of the top level. Its unfair they make millions on top of there stock options a year, and they are laying off people that need jobs and money because they are too greedy.
askdlfjhiueasdmv

United States

#3 Jan 30, 2009
List of Potential Store Closing IMO
Later

Aurora Northgate - surprised that is still there
Stratford - too close to other malls
River Oaks - yeah
Machesney Park - dead mall
Beloit - another dead mall
Either Sheridan Village or Pekin - Too many in Peoria market

any others you think?
askdlfjhiueasdmv

United States

#4 Jan 30, 2009
Also, i worked at a Bergners about 9 years ago while i was in college and it was the best job i had ever had, i loved it. Then they started to Wal-Martize their stores by centralizing the cash registers and not having them in every department. And we were discouraged from helping customers on the floor. That was when i jumped ship, because what was wrong with the traditional department store model.
Mike A

Chicago, IL

#5 Jan 30, 2009
Woodmar in Hammiond dead mall, close to Southlake and River Oaks. River Oaks will stay open that mall does good business.

Charlestown mall, that mall is becoming a dead mall most likely that store will close, Evergreen??
Sooner or Later

Secaucus, NJ

#6 Feb 16, 2009
askdlfjhiueasdmv wrote:
List of Potential Store Closing IMO
Later
Aurora Northgate - surprised that is still there
Stratford - too close to other malls
River Oaks - yeah
Machesney Park - dead mall
Beloit - another dead mall
Either Sheridan Village or Pekin - Too many in Peoria market
any others you think?
All of them. I was just at a Bon-Ton store. It was sad. The variety of merchandise was quite sparse. They eliminated three check-out service centers and left big empty spaces. Bare shelves in the men's department were filled with shoe clearances.

I don't think they will make it to next Christmas.
Carol for Hire

United States

#7 Feb 18, 2009
I worked in the Corporate offices, Milwaukee Wisconsin. I was laid off, 2 years of service. Based upon the Advertising/Marketing strategies and coincide that with the hurting economy Bon Ton will have a hard time surviving. They offer some of the same brands other retailers sell for cheaper. Plus their marketing strategies need a UHAUL! They have upper-level managers that have grown old and stale with the company. They don't care about pushing the envelope to make a brand out of Boston Store. They just want their paychecks. I came from a very successful retailer pre-Bon Ton. When you walk through the corporate offices and see duck-tape holding the carpet together don't lie to me Bud and say the company is not in trouble. Their holding onto their 100 year old, old-school mentality. Well that flame has burned out and those customers are dying. Get some management in that company that is fresh and innovative and actually put in the work.
Judi

AOL

#8 May 11, 2009
I currently work in a Bon Ton store. How or when will the employees know if our store is going to close? I read on another website that The Bon Ton will probably end up bankrupt. How can I know for sure?
Lucinda

Odessa, FL

#9 Aug 7, 2009
I myself worked in Corporate for Bon Ton stores in Milwaukee, with the company 5 years and was worked to death with the payback being to let me go after disagreements with a new supervisor who was wholly unqualified and incompetent. Why did they hire someone of that calibre? To save the money-- they could have done better. I must say I saw this coming and couldn't be happier I was let go.
Donna

Schenectady, NY

#10 Sep 16, 2009
I have worked for Bon Ton for many years and they do have stupid managers, mostly the store managers who do nothing but sit in their offices and collect fifty grand a year and have the employees do everything. And if you are a great employee, you get a twelve cent raise at the end of the year. I hate this stinking store. They deserve to go under.
Thomas

Dickinson, ND

#11 Sep 22, 2009
Bonton I thoguht was a great company to work for unti l i let go as well in the minot ND Herbergers store. I worked long hours and had Always made my sales goals and was let go because I was the last one hired. Well news flash theres three managers there that have been there for twenty plus years and are amazing at covering unethical business practices and talking down to employees to other employees as well as calling people trash and loosers as well on several occasions. When I was laid off and there was another opening I was treated less than human by the human resource area manager who is on of the most ignorant but good at bullcrapping his way to anyone not to actually have to work. and when my questions where yet not answered I attempted to go up the ladder to the next person in line since Bon Ton claims to have a open door policy and practice an ethical code of business. The current managers there still employeed come and go as they please to pick up kids car pool around and even have there kids upstairs in employee break areas which are supposed to be off limits. I find it a damn shame customers tell me everyday how horrible it was I was let go and what was bonton thinking of keeping managers that are never on the sales floor and doing less than par work.
i do not know

Scottsdale, AZ

#12 Sep 22, 2009
maybe
Desiree

Chicago, IL

#13 Oct 26, 2011
My mom works at Carson in Matterson Illinois. The store is TERRIBLE..... they have remove many of the counters along with the registers.....they have already removed customer service. Yes NO customer service area...no gift wrap and no ticket tron. Customers have to FIND someone to ring them out...there are NO designer merchandise in juniors department..can you believe there is only one counter in the men department with ONLY two registers, when there were 3 counters with seven registers!!!! They made all of these changes before the holiday season. The store manager told associates that they would have to work a 12 hour shift from midnight to twelve in the afternoon..with only a thirty minute lunch. My mom said many associates have already left..she is leaving also, she says this is the worst place she has every worked.
Desiree

Chicago, IL

#14 Oct 26, 2011
Can any one explain to me how can Carson give their associates four hours a week....and still hire new associates. This is October 26, 2011 where many people are not spending like the use to. Would you believe they came in the store and fired the Human Resource Manager/ Cosmetic Manager/Assistant Store Manager all because her sales was not up. NEWS FLASH there are no customers in the store....when you treat customers like dirt...along with the associates...YOU LOOSE your customers and good workers!!! Now they have a new Human Resource Manager...who threatening associates with saying that if you don't get your instant credits and customer e=mail address...YOU WILL BE FIRED!!!!!! Yes you heard right...there are not to many stores in Lincoln Mail.... This place will be CLOSING SOON it is just the matter of time!!!! Carson has re- venting the SLAVE WHEEL by removing all those counters and registers..so your work load INCREASES.... while managers Catherine Sanders, store manager Audrey Mallory and asst store manager Josue Guerrero...just continue to miss treat their people...and do whatever they please!!!!! This is why I DO NOT SHOP AT CARSON...WHO IS RUNNING THIS BUSINESS.......I KNOW MY TWO YEAR OLD CAN DO A BETTER JOB THEN THIS!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

BonTon Stores Inc The Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Remembering downtown's department store heyday (Sep '10) Dec '11 Danny b 8
News Cold, wet weather dampens sales at The Bon-Ton (May '11) May '11 little piggy 3
News Bon-Ton Stores 4Q earnings rise, revenue up (Mar '11) Mar '11 Melba Miles 1
News Bon-Ton to maintain guidance (Nov '10) Nov '10 J Rothschild 4
News Bon-Ton closing store in Frederick, Md. (Nov '10) Nov '10 anna 2
News Bon-Ton credit rating downgraded (Dec '08) Oct '10 Shopping Fanatic 6
News Bon-Ton sales down 5 percent (May '10) Oct '10 Shopping Fanatic 5
More from around the web