Blekko raises $30M for refined search

Sep 29, 2011 Full story: Business Journal 7

Blekko, a search engine company striving to eliminate spam from search results, has taken a $30 million investment led by the Russian search engine and Internet services company Yandex , with participation from MLC Private Equity of Australia and others.

Read more

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#1 Sep 30, 2011
Blekko? That name sounds like it is related to vomit. But if they are anti-spam, then maybe blekking up chunks of spam is a good thing.

Since: Nov 09

Smirk .. ;-)

#2 Sep 30, 2011
Topix has been using it for awhile now.

Plum, Purplonia

#3 Sep 30, 2011
-Kevin- wrote:
Topix has been using it for awhile now.
Yes, I noticed, but there were no threads to discuss it before.

Smirk .. ;-)

#4 Sep 30, 2011
I hope they do good. I remember when Google first came out. Before there was a big deal about it. It was a small search engine only those that really cared about such things used. It grew from there... maybe a bit too big? I now have extensions built into my browser that blocks cookies that they use to track. Sad how companies start out with good intentions, and end up with nefarious ideals.

Plum, Purplonia

#5 Sep 30, 2011
-Kevin- wrote:
I hope they do good. I remember when Google first came out. Before there was a big deal about it. It was a small search engine only those that really cared about such things used. It grew from there... maybe a bit too big? I now have extensions built into my browser that blocks cookies that they use to track. Sad how companies start out with good intentions, and end up with nefarious ideals.
I agree. I've said before that organization is what makes things evil. By organization, I am referring to being big and establishmentarian, not whether it has order or follows accepted practices.

For instance, everyone liked the original Walmart stores. Back when Sam was alive, he put customers first and really didn't want his stores to become big or famous. He relied mainly on word of mouth, and he did well because he knew how to treat people.

Similar can be said about some aspects of the early days of medicine. The doctors cared about their patients and interacted with them socially outside the practice. Now they are a part of an impersonal machine which only cares about profits.

It is so ironic that Google's slogan is "Don't be evil," when they are kind of like the "Walmart" of the internet.

Smirk .. ;-)

#6 Sep 30, 2011
Agreed 100%.
IYKE-WHIZY

Houston, TX

#7 Oct 3, 2011
Tanx 4replyin 2my comment i tested it but was not wrkin freely.pls i need an mtn proove 4my Nokia c3 and a web site in which i could download al kinds of opera and mobile apps.my numba is still 08139026034 tanx 4ur efforts kep up d gud wrks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blekko Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Blekko Launches Izik, A Tablet-Optimized Search... (Jan '13) Jan '13 consoles and comp... 1
Felicia Wilson (Jul '11) Jul '11 icon 1
News Human touch makes search engine smarter (May '11) Jul '11 Mississippi gurl 1 8
News Topix Partners with Blekko To Power Their Search (May '11) Jun '11 the perfessor 9
News Topix Search Powered by Blekko (May '11) May '11 NightSerf 4
News One Of The Earliest Computer Viruses Was Really... (Feb '11) Feb '11 sage brush 32
News How to Use Blekko to Rock at Your Job (Nov '10) Nov '10 Editors here frus... 1
More from around the web