Buck Institute and BioMarin to partner on Alzheimer's research

The nonprofit Buck Institute for Age Research in Novato has inked a deal with Novato drugmaker BioMarin Pharmaceutical to collaborate on a potential treatment for Alzheimer's disease. Full Story
contractor

Mill Valley, CA

#1 Aug 16, 2010
How will this benefit the people of Marin? Wasn't that the Buck will's wording?
How many times have we seen the ground breaking work of a non-profit get subsumed by the investor driven needs of a for profit corporation? Is this relationship legal under the Buck Center's charter? Why are the financial terms being kept secret? Will Jason, did you think to ask any of these questions?
Free advice

Novato, CA

#2 Aug 17, 2010
contractor wrote:
How will this benefit the people of Marin? Wasn't that the Buck will's wording?
How many times have we seen the ground breaking work of a non-profit get subsumed by the investor driven needs of a for profit corporation? Is this relationship legal under the Buck Center's charter? Why are the financial terms being kept secret? Will Jason, did you think to ask any of these questions?
Why don't you go to a board meeting and ask your own questions if you want answers. No i did not write this story
Tom

Mill Valley, CA

#3 Aug 17, 2010
"The Buck Institute, which opened its doors in 1999, has yet to invent a drug that has reached the marketplace."

Then maybe it's time to stop killing millions of animals and/or move the Institute to the Nevada desert with the atomic weapons industry since they would have more in common than they do with Marin.

tom
MarinJohn

Discovery Bay, CA

#4 Aug 17, 2010
When some local Marin activists took on the San Francisco Foundation for breaking Mrs. Buck's will, did they think it would turn out this way? That victory was huge, and kept the money in Marin, which is what Mrs. Buck wanted to do with her fortune. But when Gary Giacomini, Judge Homer et al decided to interpret the will in their own way, setting up this Aging Institute to get a third of the money, didn't they kind of set this into motion?

I wonder how much Giacomini has made legitimately, both personally and for his firm, running the billion dollar Buck Fund. I'm not even talking about the "special appropriations" for pet projects, like the $500,000 gym for his son in San Geronimo; but straight income?

The finances of the Buck Center should be open to all of us residents of Marin. These dealings with Biomarin should be fully disclosed. Biomarin stands to profit, at our expense; and we should know what that will be.

I would even like to be allowed to actually go up & check out the Buck Institute. I know they don't want us commoners checking out their compound, but don't we own it? I like architecture, and am quite impressed that we had to spend all that money on I.M. Pei to design it - can't I at least get a little tour?

Maybe it's time to challenge the use of Mrs. Buck's will again. She had a special interest in the elderly, and aging, but does that mean she wanted it to go the this pet project? I wonder what she would think about it when there are so many older Marinites barely making ends meet, not able to afford their health care.

I think that the Buck Trust, Marin Community Foundation & the Buck Institute for Age Research are a bit like Marin General Hospital. The people of Marin have forgotten, or never knew in the first place, that they actually own it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

BioMarin Pharmaceutical Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BioMarin leases office space in former GreenPoi... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Concerned 6
Novato's BioMarin finds niche and growing quickly (Mar '10) Mar '10 MSD 4
Novato's BioMarin buys cancer treatment maker (Feb '10) Feb '10 anarchyintheUSA 1
Marin's economy in 2010: Year of the comeback (Jan '10) Jan '10 Pot Smoking Moronite 20
Novato's Raptor Pharmaceuticals to merge with S... (Jul '09) Jul '09 WHOO HOOOOO 1
La Jolla Pharmaceutical Company and BioMarin Ph... (Feb '09) Mar '09 Ricky F 2
Novato's BioMarin stops study of lupus drug (Feb '09) Feb '09 naddy 1
More from around the web