No Breaks While at Work
Exhausted

Chicago, IL

#1 Oct 6, 2009
I just started working at BBB a few weeks ago. I have prior retail experience and understand my expectations for my job. However, BBB's policy of not allowing breaks until after an employee has worked 6 hours is quite unreasonable. This policy is also more unreasonable given that the management does not allow water to be brought out on the floor with the employee. Every time I want to drink water from the water fountain by the bathroom, I must get permission to leave the floor from the manager on duty. Sometimes this is not possible due to the lack of coverage. I found myself very dehydrated each time after I left work and suffered from severe headaches as a result. I spoke with the management but they were firm about not allowing water to be brought with me, even to be stored under a register so I might take a drink whenever I am up to ring.

Is there anyway that BBB can change its policy so that employees may be better taken care of and thus more productive in the long run? I understand no food on the floor but basic hydration is very necessary for people's well being. If this continues and my health suffers, I will have to resign and find another job.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#2 Mar 16, 2010
In our store you are allowed water only, in a sports type bottle that cannot be spilled, and you are required to keep it out of sight of the customer. I'd try doing that, and make them fire you for trying to drink water on the job.
Totowa NJ

Maplewood, NJ

#3 Apr 19, 2010
I've been working for BBB since May 09. In the beginning it was cool. Then I started to seen the lack of appreciation management had for non management employees. Front End employees in my opinion gets treated unfairly. FEM/FEL doesn't pay enough attention or care when you are suppose to go on your break or be relieved from your register when it is your time to go home. In my past job I worked as a supervisor and held a position over the supervisor. It was my job to make sure the employee went on break when they were suppose to. It was my job to make sure the employee gets relieved when their shift was over.
Some front end employees just leave when their shift is over, but to me that's unethical because customers standing and waiting in long lines. When I held a high position in my past job, whomever was lead could not take their break until floor staff who was schedule a break took theirs. It's difficult to find a job nowadays, but i would never recommend anyone to apply at BBB, well not the store I work for any way. Store 466
sparkle

Raleigh, NC

#4 Aug 17, 2010
Totowa NJ wrote:
I've been working for BBB since May 09. In the beginning it was cool. Then I started to seen the lack of appreciation management had for non management employees. Front End employees in my opinion gets treated unfairly. FEM/FEL doesn't pay enough attention or care when you are suppose to go on your break or be relieved from your register when it is your time to go home. In my past job I worked as a supervisor and held a position over the supervisor. It was my job to make sure the employee went on break when they were suppose to. It was my job to make sure the employee gets relieved when their shift was over.
Some front end employees just leave when their shift is over, but to me that's unethical because customers standing and waiting in long lines. When I held a high position in my past job, whomever was lead could not take their break until floor staff who was schedule a break took theirs. It's difficult to find a job nowadays, but i would never recommend anyone to apply at BBB, well not the store I work for any way. Store 466
I worked at store 1124, the unethical practices going on were shocking!!!!!!!!!!
achin

Fort Smith, AR

#5 Dec 30, 2011
The worst, or close to it, job I ever had (BBand BS). Really glad I stumbled upon this and see how much others had the same experience. I don't think they play the race card, I think they are an equal opportunity treat you like a piece of sh#t employer. I also tried to excel in my job....I was never late and I think I missed one time. I was there nine months until I finally came to my senses and go the hell out of there. It's not nice.
WonderWoman

Bethlehem, PA

#6 Jan 24, 2012
We also have a no drink or food policy on the floor being enforced even during non business hours unless your the store manager then you can have a coffee while everyone else has to go without. Then the endless smoke breaks that are taken are ridiculous while you get a dirty look for wanting to step off the floor to get a drink.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beyond Corp Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Working at Bed Bath and Beyond has been a terri... (Dec '06) Sep 13 Layed off 639
beware of talbots womens clothing store (Apr '07) Aug '17 coco 139
BEWARE of Stores using Certegy Check Approval l... (Oct '06) Jul '17 Lowesformercustomer 1,568
News Bealls expanding stores (Jun '06) Jun '17 USS LIBERTY 6
News Weird 38 mins ago 7:41 a.m.2 men arrested after... (Feb '17) Feb '17 VP Mullah Elect P... 1
Certegy (Mar '07) Oct '16 lauraclare 915
Bed Bath & Beyond's questionable new policy (Dec '09) Mar '16 asuckernomore 17
More from around the web