NetJets accused of age bias in lawsui...

NetJets accused of age bias in lawsuit | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 31 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jan 8, 2011, titled NetJets accused of age bias in lawsuit | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

A former sales executive for NetJets has filed an age-discrimination lawsuit against the Columbus-based private-jet company and its CEO, alleging that he was fired as the company chose to promote younger, lower-paid workers after its 2009 management shake-up. The company, owned by Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway, declined to comment other than ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
what

United States

#1 Jan 8, 2011
He is not alone. Many, many companies participate in age discrimination.
ramseyjames

Bellefontaine, OH

#2 Jan 8, 2011
If Sokol, 54, is firing employees because of their age, he should be packing his bags, because there are many, younger, more educated, dynamic suck-ups ready to replace him!
ramseyjames

Bellefontaine, OH

#3 Jan 8, 2011
Employers know that it is very difficult for an employee to win an Age Discrimination Suit, and that is why it is so rampant in private employment!
Corp Idiots

United States

#4 Jan 8, 2011
Older is wiser, younger is dumer. I would rather have a professional with years of experience handling my business affairs than some young punk who cheated in college and has an entitled attitude. Just my two pennies.
Jill

Bellefontaine, OH

#5 Jan 8, 2011
This guy was 54 when hired by NetJets, an age considered old in the hiring process, then let go when he is at retirement age. Enjoy retirement and move on. Hw wouldn't have been with the company much longer anyways.
Mango Bango Boo 2 U

Blacklick, OH

#6 Jan 8, 2011
The problem isn't age, it's longevity with the company. If you've been with NetJets 12 years you are making more and have accrued more benefits than the new schlub fresh out of college. Looking at the bottom line one way to keep employee expenses low is to keep hiring newbies and keep cutting the experienced people loose.
Get Real

Columbus, OH

#7 Jan 8, 2011
Watching younger workers ignore experience and charge forward repeating mistakes older workers have learned to avoid is like watching a train wreck on slow motion. But as an older worker, I also know that younger workers can bring different ideas. But age bias goes on in nearly every company I worked for and the GOP and Courts have weakened protections.

It is all about money, greed, and self-interest - so common now in Ohio and National government.

Since: Jun 10

Canal Winchester, OH

#8 Jan 8, 2011
Easy to claim.
Rarely proved.
Good luck!
TellsItLikeItIs

Mansfield, OH

#9 Jan 8, 2011
NetJets wouldn't be the only organization picking younger, less experienced, lower-paid employees to hire and promote.
BuckI

Columbus, OH

#10 Jan 8, 2011
It's so hard to prove this, but I hope he is successful. It's one of those things that we all know happens, but we can't prove in a court of law that it's happening. I wish him the best of luck...one of these days, someone's got to beat it!
happy gilmore

Springfield, OH

#13 Jan 8, 2011
who wants to work when they're 66 go retire and die old man and quit takin my social security
choppit

Reynoldsburg, OH

#14 Jan 8, 2011
Angry Blackman wrote:
Yeah; I don't see a lot of Negros over there either!
Thanks for showing us exactly why.
Pogo

Reynoldsburg, OH

#15 Jan 8, 2011
Mango Bango Boo 2 U wrote:
The problem isn't age, it's longevity with the company. If you've been with NetJets 12 years you are making more and have accrued more benefits than the new schlub fresh out of college. Looking at the bottom line one way to keep employee expenses low is to keep hiring newbies and keep cutting the experienced people loose.
You hit it right on the nose. This same unsolicited observation was voiced by a representative of the ODJFS....the person said they saw it several times over the last few years. A heartless reality all too commonly practiced by corporate America.
DRB757

League City, TX

#16 Jan 8, 2011
I hope you clean their clock so maybe other companies will understand the work ethic of an older person is much greater than a kid. Also this man could retire and do nothing but because of his work ethic and desire to contribute to the company's success he want's to work. Stick it to them.
DRB757

League City, TX

#17 Jan 8, 2011
happy gilmore wrote:
who wants to work when they're 66 go retire and die old man and quit takin my social security
You nimrod little twerp. It is not your social security. This man has worked all his life and paid into the system so he should get his back. that is the contract with social security. You probably are a welfare receiving democrat with minimum skills and can't even work for Burger King.
DRB757

League City, TX

#18 Jan 8, 2011
Get Real wrote:
Watching younger workers ignore experience and charge forward repeating mistakes older workers have learned to avoid is like watching a train wreck on slow motion. But as an older worker, I also know that younger workers can bring different ideas. But age bias goes on in nearly every company I worked for and the GOP and Courts have weakened protections.
It is all about money, greed, and self-interest - so common now in Ohio and National government.
Your comment about the GOP fit's your name very well.
Mango Bango Boo 2 U

Blacklick, OH

#20 Jan 8, 2011
Angry Blackman wrote:
Yeah; I don't see a lot of Negros over there either!
Those rich white folks over there had better give some of those jobs to the blackman.
I'm tired of collecting welfare!
Why don't you earn one of those jobs instead?
USS Obama

Columbus, OH

#21 Jan 8, 2011
happy gilmore wrote:
Why don't you go away and die and quit taking the taxpayer's welfare, medicafe and food stamps.
blameMe

Dublin, OH

#22 Jan 8, 2011
It's not "Age Bias." It's AGE DISCRIMINATION and it goes on everywhere in America.

Corporate America is one of the biggest discriminators. Academia is just as bad if not worse.

All those so called "politically correct" academics who pretend to be mortified that anyone would be racist or sexist are the first people to devalue someone based on age.
NJS

Columbus, OH

#23 Jan 8, 2011
Netjets sucks as an employer! We have all these laws in place to protect workers from this kind of treatment, but there's more loopholes in them than there are teeth! It's time they start being enforced!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berkshire Hathaway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
annual letter in the mail Mar '18 david 1
News Berkshire buys Teva, feels IBM blues as Apple b... Feb '18 follow the money 1
News How three of America's biggest companies might ... Feb '18 many do no know 1
News Buffett says Trump tax proposal won't fundament... (May '17) May '17 Dr Reker s Bellhop 5
News Buffett Chides College for Not Cutting Tuition ... (May '16) Apr '17 kapo klavan 4
News Warren Buffett is the face of Cherry Coke in China (Apr '17) Apr '17 andet1987 4
News Buffett's PacifiCorp Plans $3.5 Billion Clean E... (Apr '17) Apr '17 Solarman 1