BB&T Error Ruins Family Father's Day Celebrations

Posted in the BBT Forum

David Horton

Jacksonville, FL

#1 Jun 17, 2012
I'm an account holder with BB&T and thought the banking public should know about how a BB&T error left me in an embarrassing situation and ruined my family's Father's Day Celebration.

I used their new mobile deposit application on my phone to deposit my paycheck on Friday. After the transaction, the application informed me funds would be held up to 3 days. I called BB&T customer service and they said unfortunately this was true (kind of defeats the purpose of instant deposit from your phone right?!). I told them I was used to depositing my check on Friday and it being available on Saturday and I needed those funds this weekend, so this wouldn't be acceptable. The customer service agent explained I could still go into the branch and deposit my check and all would be well, that their system would catch that I deposited at the branch and would cancel out the mobile deposit. So, I proceeded on my lunch break as I do every two weeks to my branch. All is great ..Right? Wrong!

I go to visit my family about 3 hours away to take my father, stepmother and family out to dinner for Father's Day on Saturday. We go to a very nice seafood restaurant in Savannah ... 5 people ... so the bill after tip came to $250. I presented my card but the waitress came back - declined. I looked up my balance on my BB&T mobile app and is states: Posted balance:$702.xx Available balance:$50.xx ??? What does this mean. How embarrassing. Luckily my girlfriend had the funds available in her account to cover me or it could have been even worse.

So, today I check my online account and it shows both deposits credited to my account and then one deposit taken back out of my account, but not the one from the branch as I was told would happen. Nope, it kept the mobile deposit and kept the 3 day hold on funds in place. So, I called card services. Guess what? They said they couldn't do anything. They called mobile banking and their supervisors. What was I told? No one there had the power to release my funds.

I explained to them the horrible embarrassing position they had put me in and that now we would probably need to cancel plans with my girlfriend's family since she had used her money to cover me at my family gathering. But, no matter what I said - they reiterated there was no one with the power to assist me on staff on the weekends.

Why have a card/banking department open on the weekends to handle EMERGENCY situations if you aren't going to empower anyone to actually take care of your clients. Shame on you BB&T for putting me in this embarrassing situation and then doing nothing about it. Shame on you BB&T for once again showing that banks are heartless money-hungry corporations and how BB&T is just another providing NO CUSTOMER SERVICE to even their own clients/customers.

A monkey could look at this situation, see my TWO DEPOSITS on my account and see that my funds should be release. A monkey could see that I deposit the same paycheck every other Friday like clockwork.

Just remember - even when the error isn't yours .. even when the BANK commits the error ... they will leave you stuck and not help you. No-THANK-YOU BB&T for leaving me stuck!

Sincerely,

David Horton - Jacksonville
davidmhorton@gmail.com
I hate the world

Cape Coral, FL

#2 Oct 17, 2012
Dear David, BB&T sucks! They could care less about anyone since their taking over of colonial. Everyone at my bank has left. Now they have unprofessional people at the branches where I live. I too have had an embarrassing moment. they did not give a rats ass about it!
David Horton wrote:
I'm an account holder with BB&T and thought the banking public should know about how a BB&T error left me in an embarrassing situation and ruined my family's Father's Day Celebration.
I used their new mobile deposit application on my phone to deposit my paycheck on Friday. After the transaction, the application informed me funds would be held up to 3 days. I called BB&T customer service and they said unfortunately this was true (kind of defeats the purpose of instant deposit from your phone right?!). I told them I was used to depositing my check on Friday and it being available on Saturday and I needed those funds this weekend, so this wouldn't be acceptable. The customer service agent explained I could still go into the branch and deposit my check and all would be well, that their system would catch that I deposited at the branch and would cancel out the mobile deposit. So, I proceeded on my lunch break as I do every two weeks to my branch. All is great ..Right? Wrong!
I go to visit my family about 3 hours away to take my father, stepmother and family out to dinner for Father's Day on Saturday. We go to a very nice seafood restaurant in Savannah ... 5 people ... so the bill after tip came to $250. I presented my card but the waitress came back - declined. I looked up my balance on my BB&T mobile app and is states: Posted balance:$702.xx Available balance:$50.xx ??? What does this mean. How embarrassing. Luckily my girlfriend had the funds available in her account to cover me or it could have been even worse.
So, today I check my online account and it shows both deposits credited to my account and then one deposit taken back out of my account, but not the one from the branch as I was told would happen. Nope, it kept the mobile deposit and kept the 3 day hold on funds in place. So, I called card services. Guess what? They said they couldn't do anything. They called mobile banking and their supervisors. What was I told? No one there had the power to release my funds.
I explained to them the horrible embarrassing position they had put me in and that now we would probably need to cancel plans with my girlfriend's family since she had used her money to cover me at my family gathering. But, no matter what I said - they reiterated there was no one with the power to assist me on staff on the weekends.
Why have a card/banking department open on the weekends to handle EMERGENCY situations if you aren't going to empower anyone to actually take care of your clients. Shame on you BB&T for putting me in this embarrassing situation and then doing nothing about it. Shame on you BB&T for once again showing that banks are heartless money-hungry corporations and how BB&T is just another providing NO CUSTOMER SERVICE to even their own clients/customers.
A monkey could look at this situation, see my TWO DEPOSITS on my account and see that my funds should be release. A monkey could see that I deposit the same paycheck every other Friday like clockwork.
Just remember - even when the error isn't yours .. even when the BANK commits the error ... they will leave you stuck and not help you. No-THANK-YOU BB&T for leaving me stuck!
Sincerely,
David Horton - Jacksonville
davidmhorton@gmail.com
Paul

Manassas, VA

#3 Mar 2, 2013
I just had a situation where I was at a restaurant with my girlfriend and my son and the bill came and I gave them my BB&T debit card. The manager comes back and tells me it's been declined. I say "´mpossible, I know I have plenty of money in there" but he said he ran it twice. While it could have been embarassing it wasn't because I knew BB&T had screwed up somehow and I wasn't at fault. So I give him a credit card and look up my information using the mobile app and it shows all of my accounts with a $0 balance. I would have thought that my account was hacked and someone took my money but that would have made sense if it was only my checking account and maybe my savings but there were 2 other accounts that I never touch and can't access unless I go to the bank in person and they were ALL showing a $0 balance. So I get home and look online using my computer and I see all my money. I tried to call their customer service number where I got the phone robots and they told me I had $0 dollars available and so I pushed 0 for a service rep but couldn't get through to a live person. So the only conclusion I can oome to is either I'm seriously screwed, someone took money from all my accounts, and zombies are coming or that BB&T is having a serious problem right now. I'm hoping for the latter and that my accounts will be restored very soon. Hard to believe that with all of the technology available today that something like this would happen.

Paul
River guy

Northport, AL

#4 Sep 17, 2013
BB&T sucks. I recently made a deposit and 3 hours later a rep called me to tell me my deposit was being held for 10 days because "it was larger than someone of my average account balance could possibly have". I called corp. and sure enough they have a formula to make sure that person of working class doesn't deposit a large check. They wouldn't give me the formula but when I closed it out the new bank didn't seem to have a problem. They seemed glad to get my 50K. First bank I have ever seen to harass depositors. They used to be known as the the peoples bank but as someone else said, after they took over Colonial they have gotten above their raisin". BB&T can go to hell.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

BBT Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
btt forum- topix (Apr '13) Apr '13 lenutaa_mirceaa 1
Managing your own accounts (Aug '12) Aug '12 The undertaker 1
BB&T extends credit facility to Main Street Cap... (Jul '11) Jul '11 brad 1
APNewsBreak: Judge orders BB&T to rehire invest... (Apr '10) Apr '10 jrw 2
BB&T Cursed? (May '09) May '09 FireMan 1
No bonuses for BB&T execs (Feb '09) Mar '09 Stanley 12
Billions in Bank Rescue Funds are Fueling Buyou... (Dec '08) Dec '08 lenutaa_mirceaa 1
More from around the web