The downfall

Gypsum, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2009

There are lots of reasons why this company is failing. The obvious better prices and products from other company's like Netflix, Wal-Mart, GameStop, the list can go on. They could stay competitive if they would only get rid of some of the idiots working at their district and region offices, people like someone I know who calls one of his stores and finds out that the store manager has today off and proceeds to hang up on the current employee (HOW PROFESSIONAL) No wonder nobody with any brain wants to work for this company anymore and then we are left with people like this guy, who have no management experience or at least not good with that experience and zero people skills, and are only out to make themselves look better not the company. I can't wait for the reality check to hit all of them, and especially the person I'm talking about....I wonder some days how he even goes through life looking at himself?(PROBABLY ALONE) I know for a fact if Blockbuster Video really cared about this company people like this district manager wouldn't be in charge of the garbage removal from stores.(I DON'T THINK HE WOULD MANAGE THAT VERY WELL EITHER) Can't wait to see some response from anyone who has been a part of this bullsh$t.
rusted_opportuni ties

Eugene, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

I currently work for a Blockbuster in Oregon and have been a part of this company for almost two years now. In the first 4 months I was promoted twice to 4star and then to shift lead changing stores in the process. At first I was amazed at the company's willingness to promote me so fast and was happy with my new full time set schedule and good benefits package. However the perks have ended. Since then I have never been formally reviewed to get a raise and I have watched minimum wage in the state get raised twice. Since the company doesn't adjust management pay I now, after two promotions, get 10 cents more per hour than my entry level CSR's and in some sketch cases may even be making less!! All griping about pay aside, there seems to be an inconsistant adherence to rules set by the management for staff and rules set by corporate for management. This compnay has a ridiculous turnover rate and I believe this is due to lack of respect and bad leadership on part of the general manageres and district managers behalf. I have frequently seen management bend dress codes, stay clocked in whilst runinng errands, give freebies to customers, ignore important weekly reprices, and then turn around and write up staff for the same inconsistencies. When questioned about the behavior the response was "managment need not apply to the same rules as CSR's, if you have an issue call the word on me or bring it up with the district I bet they will say the same thing". What a great example to set for your staff, no wonder sales are down! The disctrict manager frequently makes and breaks store visit appointments which I think are very beneficial and helps hold stores accountable for their weekly promotions that need to be getting done! As far as the good workers go, they are left behind, uncompinsated and left unpromoted while the lazy managers of yesterday continue to help run this company into the ground. Take responsibility for your store, and set good examples or your staff will show you how they feel in sales, and respect! As for corporate, there is something scary about a company who does not try to bridge the gap between their top execs and entry level employees. Many of our promotions do not get executed because there is no understanding of why we may be running a particular sale or drive. There is too much ambiguiuty when leaving store changes up to managers to explain. Many do not do a sufficient job telling staff or only write minimal note with directions. I believe a weekly bulletin aimed at CSR's to help promote sales from a Corporate could help the company and inlist a little more loyality from the staff so that they don't just feel like disposable trash. You need to like the company you work for and the consensus I hear all around is that workers do NOT respect blockbuster and what it stands for. What does blockbuster stand for...in this world is it even relevant anymore? If there were a blockbuster mission statemnt I wonder what it would say if it were honest....
Robert

Ponca City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2009

I have a problem , I rented a movie from blockbusted ,returned the
movie but , come to find out the next day I only returned the case, so I drove up there in:
ponca city,ok and gave the girl the movie explaining the mishap. end of story? no
they call me up 2 1/2 weeks later telling me to return the movie! explained to<manager chris>
that I returned the movie, didnt 'believe me'
now 2 days later get a bill for a late fee?
chris refuses to contact district mgr.
Got Answers

Eagle, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Robert wrote:
I have a problem , I rented a movie from blockbusted ,returned the
movie but , come to find out the next day I only returned the case, so I drove up there in:
ponca city,ok and gave the girl the movie explaining the mishap. end of story? no
they call me up 2 1/2 weeks later telling me to return the movie! explained to<manager chris>
that I returned the movie, didnt 'believe me'
now 2 days later get a bill for a late fee?
chris refuses to contact district mgr.
You should just call the customer care number at the bottome of your receipt or write down the district managers number it should be in the store near the exit, even go or call another store in the area they should give you a number to call. The number won't be a direct line but if you leave a message the district manager will get on it, and in turn so will the store manager. good luck
blockbuster managers

Marina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

The downfall wrote:
There are lots of reasons why this company is failing. The obvious better prices and products from other company's like Netflix, Wal-Mart, GameStop, the list can go on. They could stay competitive if they would only get rid of some of the idiots working at their district and region offices, people like someone I know who calls one of his stores and finds out that the store manager has today off and proceeds to hang up on the current employee (HOW PROFESSIONAL) No wonder nobody with any brain wants to work for this company anymore and then we are left with people like this guy, who have no management experience or at least not good with that experience and zero people skills, and are only out to make themselves look better not the company. I can't wait for the reality check to hit all of them, and especially the person I'm talking about....I wonder some days how he even goes through life looking at himself?(PROBABLY ALONE) I know for a fact if Blockbuster Video really cared about this company people like this district manager wouldn't be in charge of the garbage removal from stores.(I DON'T THINK HE WOULD MANAGE THAT VERY WELL EITHER) Can't wait to see some response from anyone who has been a part of this bullsh$t.
Once upon a time it was a decent place to work, with qualified managers; the powers to be which would include a few dm and above, chose to cut costs, at no cost legal or not, now you have inexperienced individuals that really would do much better with proper guidance, and most spread too thin, you also have those who have seen the most unethical practices by regionals in both sales and lp, and a human resources division which unfortunately has no credibility is there only for looks or occasional lawsuits; a new president who obviously is in a position to believe only those closest to him. How unfortunate,,,,,,no customer service, no mdse. skills, outright dishonesty in order to eliminate the more seasoned management team......and that is what you get........mismanagement,,,,,, ,,guess they can continue on with reporting bad inventories as a write off and an excuse to eliminate the honest as well as the crooks,,,,,,,,,it's all about who you know ..........who's covering who..........integrity has been completely taken out of the equation..........from someone who once knew the company when the customer mattered and its associates......truly a sad day at corporate stores........and president who???????
Ramon ex-manager

High Point, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

As an ex-manager at Blockbuster Video, I have to say that working there for me was a pleasure, mostly because of what I made of the job. Handling customers in a reasonable fashion always allowed for consistently good interaction. However, my main issue with corporate was they constant changes they would make to store appearance and displays. Originally when Jim Keyes took over, corporate pushed for the managers to have an "ownership mentality". And at my store it worked. While we followed the map for wall consistency, I tweaked it to make more sense for the customers to find what they were looking for and used the same common sense throughout the rest of the stores. But....of course regardless of the positive TNR we had, changes needed to be made. This is where Blockbuster loses its way. Stores need to be looked at in an individual light. Different styles will work in different stores. I believe Blockbuster is still a viable business. It may be corporate management that needs changing more than the stores. District managers need to step up for their store managers and when something is working, let it work. Open communication always works in business. As far as turnover of employees, I had same employees for years. Customers liked them, they adapted to change, communication was there daily. I was very lucky. As a side note, since I left, the store has been changed around 3 times in 3 months. TNR down, atmosphere is sullen. What do you think.
Xbbfan

Gulfport, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2009

For as long as I can remember, my family has rented from blockbuster. Until the past 5-ish years, we've had good experiences. In the beginning, There were two in this area, one was smaller, in a bad location, and one was larger, had everything I was looking for, and just off a major road we used every day. Strike 1 was when they closed the larger store... the one my family earned gold membership with... They decided one store in this area was all they needed, so they moved SOME of the stock from the large store to the smaller....but couldnt fit it all in, so shed what they could. Strike 2 was when they decided to clear inventory and sell all the less-popular older dvd's--the ones we'd look for on a family night to bring back old memories and have laughs at classics. Strike 3 is an accumulated effort. For the past few years, EVERY time I go, to blockbuster (which is rarely now that Redbox is a dollar) I am greeted with a lack of stock... rarely they even have ONE copy of what i'm looking for...even the new and most popular games and movies.... and a hearty slap in the face with the "restocking fee" bit.... You can put an elephant in tights and call it a ballerina, but it will still be an elephant.... and that will still be a late fee. Why dont they try anymore? I once loved going to blockbuster...now i just get annoyed at myself for wasting gas, and the only thing keeping me from renting at a video city or some other facility is that i dont want to commit to yet another membership all for the same purposes.
Nomo Blockbuster

Burbank, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2010

Ramon, I think Jim Keyes is an idiot and you were right to leave when you did. There's no way that Blockbuster is a pleasure to work for and it is in no way, shape or form a "viable business."
Ex BB employee

Eugene, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2010

Judged:

I'm glad Blockbuster is going down. I worked for blockbuster for 5+ years and was constantly lied to by my store manager and district manager. Entry level people with zero prior experience were being paid more than I was and I ran the store when the store manager was gone even though there were 2 people above me. The company is filled with self serving liars not only at the corporate level but at the store level. In the past year my former district has lost all of their good store managers being forced to promote people that they don't want to so it's only going to get worse. The company is a joke as for years it ignored Netflix and Redbox but now it's too late. Good riddance.
Danny

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2010

Mismanagement on many levels ..
Nomo Blockbuster

Hermitage, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2010

Especially at the top executive level with a board of directors that can't operate an iPod looking to embrace Blockbuster's digital side...what a laugh...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Blockbuster Discussions

Search the Blockbuster Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
eye sore Apr '14 blockbuster burn in hell 1
Flush that BIG BLUE TURD (Apr '11) Nov '13 flush em fast dish 360
Blockbuster to close all U.S. stores, end DVD b... (Nov '13) Nov '13 its about F-ING time 1
why is blockbuster open (Jun '11) Oct '13 JOE PISCIS 29
Blockbuster closing two stores (Dec '09) Sep '13 Who me 28
blockbuster sucks (Aug '13) Aug '13 OMG JUST SHUT THEM DOWN 1
Blockbuster queue woes-Anyone have this trouble? (Aug '07) Jun '13 Linda Blodgett 36
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••