800 BA Workers Set to Work Unpaid

800 BA Workers Set to Work Unpaid

There are 4 comments on the news.bbc.co.uk story from Jun 25, 2009, titled 800 BA Workers Set to Work Unpaid. In it, news.bbc.co.uk reports that:

British Airways has said 800 workers have volunteered to work for nothing for up to a month, following the airline's request to cut costs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.bbc.co.uk.

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#1 Jun 25, 2009
If I could afford to do it, I'd just not work at all. I don't care how many months you spread it over

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#2 Jun 26, 2009
Looks like British Airways will now have a lot of temporary amateurs on staff.
Amateurs do something for the love of it.
Professionals get paid for what they do.
It will be interesting to see where this strategy or scheme goes.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#3 Jun 26, 2009
I forgot, since Mr. Walsh is forgoing his pay, I guess he is now an amateur.
Dear Leader - Kim Jong-il

United States

#4 Jun 26, 2009
The British Airways staff has raised the meaning of PROSITUTION to a whole new level in aviation.

Just shut that F*#@!ing airline down !

If you can't afford to pay your employees, then you can't afford to run an airline in compliance with aviation safety protocols.

One & half-years ago, a British Airways B-747-400 captain experienced an engine failure on takeoff from Los Angeles. Instead of dumping fuel and returning to land at LAX, he elected to continue on flying across North America and the North Atlantic on three engines. His destination was London, but he was forced to land in Scotland when he simple ran out of enough fuel to make it to London. NOTE - The airplane flys less efficiently (slower speed and more power required) on 3 engines rather than 4 engines.

The USA - FAA informed the British - CAA (Civil Aviation Authority),that if British Airways ever did that again, they would be band from entry into US airspace.

This is the economic pressure that this airline is now faced with in order to survive.As a passenger I wouldn't get on this airline ever. No thanks, I'll fly on Lufthansa German Airlines.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

British Airways Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What does US think of airline security? (Oct '10) Feb '15 Tourist 3
News What we're reading: Oneworld backs AA, airline ... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Prost 1
News BA may buy key stake in American Airlines to bl... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Prost 14
News BA parent considering a bid for American Airlines (Mar '12) Mar '12 OldCapt 1
News Hopes rise for end to BA strike (May '11) May '11 OldCapt 1
News Hopes rise for BA crew peace deal (Apr '11) Apr '11 confused one 1
News British Airways cabin crew begin 5-day strike (May '10) Oct '10 brayden thomas 4
More from around the web