Drive AVX Out of MB?

Drive AVX Out of MB?

There are 2 comments on the Myrtle Beach Online story from Aug 29, 2008, titled Drive AVX Out of MB?. In it, Myrtle Beach Online reports that:

Myrtle Beach City Council members were right this week to formally oppose the AVX Corp.'s application to add another substance to the legal toxic emissions from its factory on 17th Avenue South.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Myrtle Beach Online.

FYI

Columbia, SC

#2 Aug 29, 2008
Well, it's very nice that Rep. Clemmons will ask DHEC to deny the permit. Unfortunately, all of the members of the whole House and Senate cannot ask an agency to break the law they have consciously and carefully crafted hand in hand with the business lobby over the last twenty years. There are absolutely no considerations of subjective issues allowed. They even tried to have the law amended to have permits automatically approved if a decision was not forthcoming within a certain time of review, regardless of questions regarding the technical integrity of the permit application.

With respect to "down zoning," the courts have ruled such attempts to be 'exclusionary' and repeatedly overturned such attempts. The zoning can be changed, but any existing non-conforming uses are grandfathered for as long as they continue to operate.
YOU ASK FOR THIS

Buffalo, NY

#3 Mar 27, 2009
Hang in there, Avx will be closing soon!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Avx Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Contamination rages on years after base closes (May '08) Aug '16 Mom 9
News Farming town demands answers on birth defects (Dec '09) Jan '11 beat reporter 2
News Wyo. community blames fracking for water woes (Sep '09) Sep '09 ActiveForPeace 1
News AVX under fire for air, water pollution (Oct '08) Oct '08 Streets 88 2
News AVX pollution not in community's interest (Sep '08) Sep '08 Chillaxative 27
News Toxic Combo (Sep '08) Sep '08 Sun News is Biased 13
News AVX pulls permit request (Aug '08) Aug '08 who_me 7
More from around the web