As City Council gets set to vote on e...

As City Council gets set to vote on electric rate increase, new...

There are 8 comments on the Austin American-Statesman story from May 26, 2012, titled As City Council gets set to vote on electric rate increase, new.... In it, Austin American-Statesman reports that:

Achievements: Four students earn a Eagle Scout rank; San Marcos student wins art competition; MetroAccess operator takes third at Roadeo As part of a technology change, commenting will not be available on some articles for a number of months.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Austin American-Statesman.

Chuggaboom

Austin, TX

#1 May 27, 2012
Well, I do not like the city telling me their utilitiy is going broke so my rates are going to shoot up when it is clear that the city is using almost $300,000,000 of the utilities profits for not only the general revenue fun (which seems fine) but also tens of millions a year for feel good projects like special interest parades, artsy fartsy stuff, and more totally unrelated things.
Thier feel good green power thing was a flop, it was higher than conventional electricity so very few people bought it and last year Austin Energy slapped the remaining cost onto every customer's bill, roughly $6.00 a month but this will never be taken off the bill I assure you that.
Now that the city has installed the smart meters they have complete control over your electric useage and plan to charge people nt so much on how much electricity you use but rather when you actually use it. It will cost you a whole lot more to turn a light on at 8pm than 8am even though it takes the exact amount of electricity to do it.
Do not pee on my boots and try to convince me it is raining.
Solarman

Yucca Valley, CA

#2 May 27, 2012
Chuggaboom wrote:
Well, I do not like the city telling me their utilitiy is going broke so my rates are going to shoot up when it is clear that the city is using almost $300,000,000 of the utilities profits for not only the general revenue fun (which seems fine) but also tens of millions a year for feel good projects like special interest parades, artsy fartsy stuff, and more totally unrelated things.
Thier feel good green power thing was a flop, it was higher than conventional electricity so very few people bought it and last year Austin Energy slapped the remaining cost onto every customer's bill, roughly $6.00 a month but this will never be taken off the bill I assure you that.
Now that the city has installed the smart meters they have complete control over your electric useage and plan to charge people nt so much on how much electricity you use but rather when you actually use it. It will cost you a whole lot more to turn a light on at 8pm than 8am even though it takes the exact amount of electricity to do it.
Do not pee on my boots and try to convince me it is raining.
It's not just in your neck of the woods that these energy price increases and "intelligent metering" is being installed, with the addition of tiered electric rates and time of use pricing, the power company will make a nice profit. If you think it's bad now,consider real time spot pricing of electricity. Who's to say if the utility is charging too much, and how do you keep track of it? If you have a net metering agreement with the local utility and install enough solar PV to offset the peak usage rates, you can defend yourself from future rate increases. Instead of worrying about wet boots, you need to think about fighting back. www.disireusa.org see what programs are available to protect oneself from future price increases.
Solarman

Yucca Valley, CA

#3 May 27, 2012
Solarman wrote:
<quoted text>It's not just in your neck of the woods that these energy price increases and "intelligent metering" is being installed, with the addition of tiered electric rates and time of use pricing, the power company will make a nice profit. If you think it's bad now,consider real time spot pricing of electricity. Who's to say if the utility is charging too much, and how do you keep track of it? If you have a net metering agreement with the local utility and install enough solar PV to offset the peak usage rates, you can defend yourself from future rate increases. Instead of worrying about wet boots, you need to think about fighting back. www.disireusa.org see what programs are available to protect oneself from future price increases.
OOOoooppps,my bad www.dsireusa.org .
kevin

Lindside, WV

#4 May 27, 2012
it is carbon taxes . www.infowars.com
Chuggaboom

Austin, TX

#5 May 28, 2012
I looked into solar before for my house and between the initial costs of installation, somewhat offset with local utility rebates and so on then coupled with my 25% increase in homeowners insurance it would take roughly 20-25 years to break even. That was using electrical rates doubling twice in that time so fiscally it was not worth it. I use a generator to power the AC/heat and appliances when there are rolling blackouts or storm outages.
Solarman

Yucca Valley, CA

#6 May 28, 2012
Chuggaboom wrote:
I looked into solar before for my house and between the initial costs of installation, somewhat offset with local utility rebates and so on then coupled with my 25% increase in homeowners insurance it would take roughly 20-25 years to break even. That was using electrical rates doubling twice in that time so fiscally it was not worth it. I use a generator to power the AC/heat and appliances when there are rolling blackouts or storm outages.
Have you checked lately? There are systems you can install, one panel and one micro-inverter at a time. This type of system can also be expanded one panel and one micro-inverter at a time until some goal for power production is reached. Kind of like a electricity savings account. Instead of say 20K in the bank at a whopping 0.5 to 1.5% interest, you could put the 20K on your roof and get a better yield off of the electricity generated. As for 25% on your home owners insurance, it's time to look for a new insurer. My system added 100 dollars a year to my homeowners insurance, something like 8 to 10%. If you want to insure a specific electric rate each month, then go with a solar PV rental agreement and lease the system for no up front costs. It's getting to the point of self defense, what are you willing to pay to defend yourself?
Chuggaboom

Austin, TX

#7 Jun 2, 2012
Solarman wrote:
<quoted text>Have you checked lately? There are systems you can install, one panel and one micro-inverter at a time. This type of system can also be expanded one panel and one micro-inverter at a time until some goal for power production is reached. Kind of like a electricity savings account. Instead of say 20K in the bank at a whopping 0.5 to 1.5% interest, you could put the 20K on your roof and get a better yield off of the electricity generated. As for 25% on your home owners insurance, it's time to look for a new insurer. My system added 100 dollars a year to my homeowners insurance, something like 8 to 10%. If you want to insure a specific electric rate each month, then go with a solar PV rental agreement and lease the system for no up front costs. It's getting to the point of self defense, what are you willing to pay to defend yourself?
No, insurance company would over the expected life of the equipment charge roughly 25% more for the coverage.
Sure you can do the install in stages but the end result is still the same, just spread out more over time.
I am looking into a windmill and that seems to be the way to go, couple a solar panel and either way it would store several days of power at any given time shoudl there be more rolling blackouts. Total cost is about 8K so overal not a bad investment. Any excess power will have to be bought from me by law by the local power company, at the rates they charge their customers.
Solarman

Yucca Valley, CA

#8 Jun 2, 2012
Chuggaboom wrote:
<quoted text>
No, insurance company would over the expected life of the equipment charge roughly 25% more for the coverage.
Sure you can do the install in stages but the end result is still the same, just spread out more over time.
I am looking into a windmill and that seems to be the way to go, couple a solar panel and either way it would store several days of power at any given time shoudl there be more rolling blackouts. Total cost is about 8K so overal not a bad investment. Any excess power will have to be bought from me by law by the local power company, at the rates they charge their customers.
There ya go, self defense at its finest. You know sooner or later the electric utility will actually go bankrupt and be absorbed by some other energy concern. Either way the price per KWh of electricity will increase, what ever you do today to offset or eliminate the electricity costs will be rewarded for years to come.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Austin Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Affordable new option for solar power launches ... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Jon 4
News How Austin Energy's rate increase will affect you (Jun '12) Jun '12 Solarman 1
News Trickle down of electric rates; Our power over ... (Jan '12) Feb '12 El Cid 2
More from around the web