Natural gas prices spike for Atmos customers

Full story: KTVO Kirksville

Natural gas rates are rising drastically for customers in Northeast Missouri. New, higher rates for Atmos Energy Corporation customers went into effect Friday.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13
Deborah Hitt

Palo Alto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2006

I think this is highway robbery. My bill more than doubled from last month to this month. We have not had many cold days (below 35 degrees) so what's up with the charges? We keep our thermostat set at 65 almost all the time.
Emmett Webb

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2006

I know what you mean. We had several December days where we had most of the windows open in the house and the heat off! Also, we keep our thermostat set on 66 degrees with a 2 degree variance, so it's not like we're hotter than hades in there. I keep the ceiling fan on to circualte the heat in there so the heat doesn't come on all the time and now my bill says I used 25% more heat in December 05 vs. last year December.....which is Bull Sh$t. Not only that, we had less usage last December (which was astonishingly colder) and our bill was less than half of what Dec. 05 bill was.

Too bad there is no regulatory agency on energy products because there is no other product out there that could increase in price by 125% and ethically get paid that....or legally for that matter.

This whole deal is a bunch of crap and cannot be tolerated. This is purely unacceptable in the eyes of a consumer and ranks right up there in my mind with World Com, Enron.....etc!
Emmett Webb

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2006

Here is what I copied directly from Atmos Energy Web Page !

Earnings Release
Atmos Energy Corporation Reports Impressive Results for Fiscal 2005;
Atmos Energy Corporation today reported consolidated results for its fiscal year and fourth quarter

Yeah, we got Screwed !
Scott

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2006

You need to remember that Atmos Energy DOES NOT KEEP THE MAJORITY OF THE MONEY YOU PAY. My bill was $191 for, but only $22 of that goes to Atmos. That's only 11%! How can that be price gouging?

%80 of the bill was for the cost of the gas. That money goes directly to the gas suppliers. The rest is for taxes.

The only money Atmos keeps is the Customer Charge and the Consumption charge, and THAT is regulated by the state goverment.
Scott

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2006

Emmett Webb wrote:
I know what you mean. We had several December days where we had most of the windows open in the house and the heat off! Also, we keep our thermostat set on 66 degrees with a 2 degree variance, so it's not like we're hotter than hades in there. I keep the ceiling fan on to circualte the heat in there so the heat doesn't come on all the time and now my bill says I used 25% more heat in December 05 vs. last year December.....which is Bull Sh$t. Not only that, we had less usage last December (which was astonishingly colder) and our bill was less than half of what Dec. 05 bill was.

Too bad there is no regulatory agency on energy products because there is no other product out there that could increase in price by 125% and ethically get paid that....or legally for that matter.

This whole deal is a bunch of crap and cannot be tolerated. This is purely unacceptable in the eyes of a consumer and ranks right up there in my mind with World Com, Enron.....etc!
In Dallas, the average temperature was 47 degrees in December. It may have been warmer where you are. But remember, the price of natural gas spiked in December. So even though it was warmer, you would have paid a lot more for gas in that month.

This is partly due to the Hurricane Katrina that knocked out 14% of the nations gas supply. Natural gas was in short supply even before that.
Michelle Gilford

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2006

I only used my fireplace at Christmas and cooked a couple of meals and my bill was $150 so I wont be cooking with gas any more my electric was less than by gas and I use electric all the time, I turned off the pilot light...Hey Scott do you have stock in Atmos or no you must be on the Board of Directors! Give me break please.
Scott wrote:
You need to remember that Atmos Energy DOES NOT KEEP THE MAJORITY OF THE MONEY YOU PAY. My bill was $191 for, but only $22 of that goes to Atmos. That's only 11%! How can that be price gouging?

%80 of the bill was for the cost of the gas. That money goes directly to the gas suppliers. The rest is for taxes.

The only money Atmos keeps is the Customer Charge and the Consumption charge, and THAT is regulated by the state goverment.
Michelle Gilford

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2006

Thought I would post the prices of natura; gas for 01-26
Overview: Thursday, January 26 (next release 2:00 p.m. on February 2, 2006)

Natural gas spot prices continued to decrease this week at all market locations as unseasonably mild temperatures persist in most regions of the United States. For the week (Wednesday to Wednesday), the spot price at the Henry Hub declined 35 cents per MMBtu, or about 4 percent, to trade at $8.50 per MMBtu yesterday (January 25). The price of the NYMEX futures contract for February delivery at the Henry Hub also decreased this week. The contract closed yesterday at $8.460 per MMBtu which is 23 cents per MMBtu, or about 3 percent, less than last Wednesday’s price. Natural gas in storage as of Friday, January 20, decreased to 2,494 Bcf, which is 21.7 percent above the 5-year average. The spot price for West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude oil dropped 16 cents per barrel since last Wednesday to trade yesterday at $65.60 per barrel or $11.31 per MMBtu.
Michelle Gilford wrote:
I only used my fireplace at Christmas and cooked a couple of meals and my bill was $150 so I wont be cooking with gas any more my electric was less than by gas and I use electric all the time, I turned off the pilot light...Hey Scott do you have stock in Atmos or no you must be on the Board of Directors! Give me break please.
<quoted text>
Scott

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2006

Michelle Gilford wrote:
Thought I would post the prices of natura; gas for 01-26
Overview: Thursday, January 26 (next release 2:00 p.m. on February 2, 2006)

Natural gas spot prices continued to decrease this week at all market locations as unseasonably mild temperatures persist in most regions of the United States. <quoted text>
Yes, and you will notice that your next natural gas bill will be substantially less, because of the warm weather and the lower gas prices. The warm weather will reduce your usage, and the lower demand will reduce the prices. There might be some lag in the reduction on your bill (just like there is some lage in the increase of gas prices on your bill), but the bills will go down.

By the way, I do work for Atmos, but I'm not a spokesperson or an executive. And I am also an Atmos customer, who doesn't get a break on my gas bill. I just happen to know a bit about the inner workings of the utility industry.
Emmett Webb

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2006

I agree with Michelle ! Thank you Michelle for your comments...

Electricity is so much cheaper....During the summer months when I run my Central A/C unit into the ground I am only looking at a $150.00 Bill. When I run my central Gas Unit in December I am looking at $325+ ; Keep a propane heater in case power goes out, but we'll all save money by switching to electricity.....just look at the data...
Scott

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2006

Emmett Webb wrote:
I agree with Michelle ! Thank you Michelle for your comments...

Electricity is so much cheaper....During the summer months when I run my Central A/C unit into the ground I am only looking at a $150.00 Bill. When I run my central Gas Unit in December I am looking at $325+ ; Keep a propane heater in case power goes out, but we'll all save money by switching to electricity.....just look at the data...
Acutally, the price of electricity is rising too, because many electric generating plants use natural gas turbines to generate the electricity.

Electricity was cheaper this past summer because gas prices were low.

But electric companies are raising prices this winter because of increased natural gas costs to run the gas turbine generators.

Gas is still cheaper in terms of heating (unless you get your electricity from wind or solar power).
Brent Dunn

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2006

I live in TX and have been billed $2000 for the last three months. I talked to customer service, was told that MY cost for gas has tripled. I was told that It is because I turned on my jaccuzzi TWICE that month. This is highway robbery, and I am in the process of converting ALL my gas appliances to electric.

I asked about the possibility of a leak, and was told that if I couldn't smell it, there was no leak. I have found out this is BS as well.

BOYCOTT ATMOS ENERGY! If we work together we can shut this company down. I refuse to be ripped off like this. They should be charged with highway robbery.
Scott

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2006

I find a $2000 gas bill for 3 months hard to beleive. Are you sure you're not exagerrating for effect? I have a pretty large house and my gas bill was only about $300 for the same time period.

Did you actually use a lot of gas during this period? Gas prices are much higher, so even though your gas usage was about the same, you might have gotten hit with a much higher bill.

If you think that the gas company made a mistake in reading the meter, you can always check. Every bill has directions on how to read your own meter, so you can make sure that it's not being read higher by accident.

The rep was probably right in saying that you would be able to smell a leak. Gas has a very strong odor, and any amount that would show up on your bill would be enough gas to smell.
stock holder

Redmond, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2006

these people who bash the company. hzve no idea how the company operates and atmos has to pass the cost on to the end use comsumer because atmos has to pay the same cost its call a recovery charge AKA gcr chanrge read your bills people

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Atmos Energy Discussions

Search the Atmos Energy Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
atmos gas bill (May '13) May '13 joseph willis 1
Atmos faces PSC probe after union lodges complaint (Feb '06) Jul '12 Show Me 3
todlers running the company? (Jan '12) Jan '12 Daniel 1
DeSoto County Gas Line Break (Oct '10) Oct '10 MSLLL62 1
Call Center in Amarillo (Jun '10) Jun '10 Amarillo Employee - andy 1
anyone work at atmos? (Nov '07) Jun '10 Amarillo Employee - andy 3
Customer Service.. (Mar '06) Aug '09 Diane 4
•••
•••