Jimmy Carter: Iran hostage rescue should have worked

Full story: USA Today 33
Former President Jimmy Carter felt his efforts to rescue U.S. diplomats held hostage by Iran should have worked but were thwarted by a "strange series of mishaps," and the mission's failure played a major role in his 1980 re-election defeat, the Georgia Democrat writes in a new book assembled from diary entries. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bob Burns

Kunming, China

#1 Sep 17, 2010
The loony dim libs mantra. "It should have worked" News flash! It has always failed and always will. It's a mental disease. Thank the Spirits there's no liberals here

“First take log out of own eye ”

Since: Jan 07

Defender of Islamic Iran

#3 Sep 18, 2010
Bob Burns wrote:
The loony dim libs mantra. "It should have worked" News flash! It has always failed and always will. It's a mental disease. Thank the Spirits there's no liberals here
liberals or conservative two arms of the same body, divided in bipolar schizophrenia with a touch of ADD.
Bob Burns

Kunming, China

#4 Sep 18, 2010
pjam2825 wrote:
<quoted text>
liberals or conservative two arms of the same body, divided in bipolar schizophrenia with a touch of ADD.
Yeah, that's what the libs say all right. If you buy it you're effectively dis-armed and confused
Watching

De Soto, KS

#5 Sep 18, 2010
Should have worked my aZZ.

Carter as a military tactician is equivelant to a KFC Wet Wipe being a bath.

Just doesn't get the job done.

“Trespassers will be shot dead.”

Since: Jul 10

Sandy Ground, Jamaica

#6 Sep 18, 2010
Should ... but didn't!
Because of a damn dumb stoooooopid ASSH0000LE like you Jimmie.
Jeeeeeez what a weirdo this smiley!

But Obama bin Barak is even worse.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_9VGZjBQHr0s/Sv6huTmw_cI...
FWsouthsider

United States

#9 Sep 18, 2010
Mr. Carter can point to some circumstances that helped the rescue attempt fail. Things like. engines on choppers not working well in dust storms.

Let's face it. He had to do something about the hostage situation or it would have guaranteed him loosing the White House in 1980 no matter what else would have happened. It seems the safest choice he felt he had was to authorize a small surgical strike that turned out to be too small to be salvaged when something did go wrong though. And any real military man knows you plan on things going wrong.

A large operation would have improved the chances that at least some of the hostages would have been freed and could have harmed the new militant Islamic government much more, giving hope to the opposition inside of Iran. His choice of an anemic operation, added to his past choice to abandon the Shah showed how ignorant he was to the potential threat from militant Islam. And that wasn't a circumstance beyond his control.

Carter did what he felt was best and history shows that wasn't good enough. The Islamic Republic got a public relations boost because charred American aircraft were in their desert and not one hostage was freed.

It would be nice if he stuck to his domestic humanitarian efforts; left Israel alone and just faded out of the national spotlight. But Carter can't do that for reasons only he truly knows.
I can read

Falkirk, UK

#10 Sep 18, 2010
Bob Burns wrote:
Using special forces to rescue people is a liberal mental disease, has always failed and always will?

I guess he should just have secretly provided arms to iran to resolve the hostage crisis like reagan then?
Archie

Dumfries, VA

#11 Sep 18, 2010
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
Using special forces to rescue people is a liberal mental disease, has always failed and always will?
I guess he should just have secretly provided arms to iran to resolve the hostage crisis like reagan then?
"Always Fails" Perhaps you have not heard of your own SAS and the raid they did to rescue the hostages held in the Iranian Embassy in 1980. What about the Israeli raid on Entebbe? Carter's Desert One mission failed in part because of defense cuts that led to sub par equipment being used along with putting a team together that had never had time to train as a unit. It is a text book case of how not to run an operation.
Dingo

North Highlands, CA

#12 Sep 18, 2010
So are you saying the military leaders who advised "Carter" was incompetent?
Archie wrote:
<quoted text>
"Always Fails" Perhaps you have not heard of your own SAS and the raid they did to rescue the hostages held in the Iranian Embassy in 1980. What about the Israeli raid on Entebbe? Carter's Desert One mission failed in part because of defense cuts that led to sub par equipment being used along with putting a team together that had never had time to train as a unit. It is a text book case of how not to run an operation.
EASY MONEY

Bangkok, Thailand

#13 Sep 18, 2010
Dingo wrote:
So are you saying the military leaders who advised "Carter" was incompetent?
<quoted text>
In a word, YES!!!! All of the branches wanted a piece of the action and all of the brass had never done anything like that before, they were all trained to fight the Russians in Europe.
Part of the reason that a Central Command was formed.
By the way I went to a briefing after the raid where they tried to explain why the mission failed and it all came down to piss poor planning and leadership. One branch not knowing how the other branch operated.
Dingo

North Highlands, CA

#14 Sep 19, 2010
So is that the same reason we lost the war in IRAQ?
The military leaders under Gw Bush was annointed by Donald Rumsfield, well you know the rest of the story.
EASY MONEY wrote:
<quoted text>
In a word, YES!!!! All of the branches wanted a piece of the action and all of the brass had never done anything like that before, they were all trained to fight the Russians in Europe.
Part of the reason that a Central Command was formed.
By the way I went to a briefing after the raid where they tried to explain why the mission failed and it all came down to piss poor planning and leadership. One branch not knowing how the other branch operated.
EASY MONEY

Bangkok, Thailand

#15 Sep 20, 2010
Dingo wrote:
So is that the same reason we lost the war in IRAQ?
The military leaders under Gw Bush was annointed by Donald Rumsfield, well you know the rest of the story.
<quoted text>
At the time of the raid I was working in Saudi and I got that briefing shortly after my return,. The Col. doing the brief was so full of shit on went wrong, that I got up and left. Come on, when was the last time that navy chopper guys trained to land in the desert. at that time never. Those choppers toss up more dirt, rocks and dust and your your totally blinded. You have no idea where your at.
No! The reason IMO is that the politicians tied the military's hands much the same way that they did in Vietnam and I may add the same way they are doing it in Afghanistan. The bottom line is that they really are not there to win as an army should, they are playing at being cops.Sadly the bad guys are playing to win.
Dingo

North Highlands, CA

#16 Sep 20, 2010
Let me see if I read you correctly, are you saying both GW Bush and Carter FAILED?
EASY MONEY wrote:
<quoted text>
At the time of the raid I was working in Saudi and I got that briefing shortly after my return,. The Col. doing the brief was so full of shit on went wrong, that I got up and left. Come on, when was the last time that navy chopper guys trained to land in the desert. at that time never. Those choppers toss up more dirt, rocks and dust and your your totally blinded. You have no idea where your at.
No! The reason IMO is that the politicians tied the military's hands much the same way that they did in Vietnam and I may add the same way they are doing it in Afghanistan. The bottom line is that they really are not there to win as an army should, they are playing at being cops.Sadly the bad guys are playing to win.

Since: Apr 07

Kansas City, KS

#17 Sep 21, 2010
Fact: Our Embassies do not belong to our politicians. They belong to the American people. Jimmy Carter ordered the Embassy personnel to surrender our Embassy over to the Iranians. That was in direct conflict of the Standing Orders for ALL Embassy Guards. Wed were told that under no situation or circumstance are we to allow our Embassy to fall to any hostile hands.

Our Embassies have enough ammo, weapons and supplies to hold off any hostile force for a period of 30 days. That allows plenty of time for a diplomatic solution or to execute a military response depending upon what is required.

Now having said that in my professional opinion as an Embassy Guard Carter should have pulled our people out of Iran as soon as he was told that the Shaw of Iran was stepping down. Then after the government was stabilized again try to establish diplomatic relations with the Islamic Government.

However Jimmy Carter has never been known for doing the smart thing.
EASY MONEY

Bangkok, Thailand

#18 Sep 21, 2010
Dingo wrote:
Let me see if I read you correctly, are you saying both GW Bush and Carter FAILED?
<quoted text>
Never said one word about Bush.
Jimmy peanut man and Clinton, is where it starts, George had nothing to do with their screw-ups. George trusted the worn out stuck in the mud Pentagon gererals and their power point presentations that mean nothing and total lack of knowledge of what the mid-east is all about and how it functions and reacts. The same way that they don't have a clue as to how Asians think or react. The dip-shits are still planning for a war with Russia. The shit starts at the Pentagon and the State Dept. they make the calls and advise.
How can you justify a navy man as the head of the joint chiefs when we are in a war on the ground and he is the person advising the phony politicians?

Since: Aug 09

Doylestown, PA

#19 Sep 21, 2010
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
Entebbe.

Ask ur hom skool teechur to splain it.

Since: Aug 09

Doylestown, PA

#20 Sep 21, 2010
There were two separate helicopter teams for the rescue. Both failed.

Odd in light of Carter's appointee to the CIA, Stansfield Turner, who annoyed the agency by trying to reform it from being something akin to a frat party.

Also odd that about the day after Raygun took office how the hostages were suddenly released.

Very odd how the Iran Contra scandal showed there were all kinds of ongoing US efforts in Iran around the time.

Deals were made, but the captivity of those US hostages probably mattered less since they were mostly overt and de facto spies, anyway, as is the case at embassies around the world.
EASY MONEY

Bangkok, Thailand

#21 Sep 22, 2010
corrective_unconscious wrote:
There were two separate helicopter teams for the rescue. Both failed.
Odd in light of Carter's appointee to the CIA, Stansfield Turner, who annoyed the agency by trying to reform it from being something akin to a frat party.
Also odd that about the day after Raygun took office how the hostages were suddenly released.
Very odd how the Iran Contra scandal showed there were all kinds of ongoing US efforts in Iran around the time.
Deals were made, but the captivity of those US hostages probably mattered less since they were mostly overt and de facto spies, anyway, as is the case at embassies around the world.
Your observation are pretty much correct but I have to say that if the embassy staff here is any indication of what a de facto spy does, we're in very deep shit. From what I've seen and heard this group could't find their ass if it was in Macy's window and they were outside looking in. Sad!!! There is only one way for the agency to operate and that is without any oversight from congress. They have to get back to the idea that winning is the object and the end justifies the means. Trying to keep our enemies happy isn't the answer. The Russians ubderstand that.
Dingo

North Highlands, CA

#22 Sep 22, 2010
Now! Now!, you didn't say anything when an Air Force General was giving advice to the Defense Chief and GW Bush about a ground war in Iraq.. but you took issue with a Navy Admiral being Chairman of the Joint Chiefs under Obama.., your angle is clearly showing.
try disguising your post a bit.
EASY MONEY wrote:
<quoted text>
Never said one word about Bush.
Jimmy peanut man and Clinton, is where it starts, George had nothing to do with their screw-ups. George trusted the worn out stuck in the mud Pentagon gererals and their power point presentations that mean nothing and total lack of knowledge of what the mid-east is all about and how it functions and reacts. The same way that they don't have a clue as to how Asians think or react. The dip-shits are still planning for a war with Russia. The shit starts at the Pentagon and the State Dept. they make the calls and advise.
How can you justify a navy man as the head of the joint chiefs when we are in a war on the ground and he is the person advising the phony politicians?
Dingo

North Highlands, CA

#23 Sep 22, 2010
Lots of belching going on EasyMoney, you think you know but you don't. Let's stick to what you REALLY know.
EASY MONEY wrote:
<quoted text>
Your observation are pretty much correct but I have to say that if the embassy staff here is any indication of what a de facto spy does, we're in very deep shit. From what I've seen and heard this group could't find their ass if it was in Macy's window and they were outside looking in. Sad!!! There is only one way for the agency to operate and that is without any oversight from congress. They have to get back to the idea that winning is the object and the end justifies the means. Trying to keep our enemies happy isn't the answer. The Russians ubderstand that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Associated Press Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Funding to Tame an Ebola Outbreak Has Fallen Short Oct 29 OccupyThis 1
NSA surveillance limits: The focus turns to courts Oct 29 Asian Guy 1
Where's czar? Ebola raises management questions Oct 28 Jeff Brightone 1
Lawmakers seek to end benefits to former Nazis Oct 24 bottlecap 1
Low expectations as China considers legal reforms Oct '14 Gem 2
Gadhafi, in letter, asks Obama to end air strikes (Apr '11) Oct '14 Swedenforever 61
US doctor exposed to Ebola virus admitted to NIH Oct '14 Cordwainer Trout 21

Associated Press People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE