jt2002tj

Baltimore, MD

#1 Apr 19, 2007
if i upload a solidworks file that was done in mm, does ANSYS keep it in mm? also, what is the pressure units in define loads>pressure>on areas... is it in Pa? or do i enter a force which is then converted to a pressure automatically when the area is chosen?
thanks!
Baldy217

Canada

#2 Jun 7, 2007
ANSYS Classic does not have any units. It's best to always use fundamental units : m, s, kg, N, Pa. If you use fundamental units, your pressure is gonna be in Pa.

If your part is 100 mm, in ANSYS it will be 100. If it's 100 m, in ANSYS it will still be 100.
Ahsan Roaf

Islamabad, Pakistan

#3 May 14, 2008
Hello,

I imported file in ansys from Pro/E.The units which i used in Pro/E was mm.I wana keep units in mm in ansys.Would you like me what are the units of Pressurse,density,specific heat and thermal conductivity.Plz,answer me with units

Since: May 08

Bangalore, India

#4 May 15, 2008
i think it will be in mm its self...,means u have to input all the units in mm ..,
Jusy

Bangalore, India

#5 Feb 5, 2009
kfjgofjdo eifjo0rgf rgdft
hima

Trivandrum, India

#6 Mar 17, 2010
If length is given in mm, what will be the units of force, mass, density and stiffness?

Since: Dec 08

Timisoara

#7 Apr 16, 2010
Hi all,

To respond it on your question, I will exposed here an example: I transfered a body from Solid Edge to Ansys DesignModeller 11(units in S.E. mm and units in Ansys DesignModeller in.). I made simplifications and I exported in Ansys Classic 11.
So, theoretical in ANSYS Classic after import, the geometry must have the same dimensions in inch. But surprise, the model has imported in meter. If I activating option "Alow scalling" the import is made in [mm]. So, Ansys Classic use import of geometry by default in [m]. If you need to scale use option "Scaling" and enter the same value (scale coresponding to your necessity) in all directions (X;Y;Z). In this manner I working with Classic uing American Standards of unit measure.

Best regards.
Nirave

Mumbai, India

#8 Jun 9, 2012
The confusion here is that when I set the units to SI(MKS) and model a line with two points "1" apart in X-axis,[(0,0) & (1,0)]. what is the length of the line? 1 meter or 1 milimeter????
Gowtham

New Delhi, India

#9 Jul 5, 2012
Hi guys,
If u import models from any kind of software's to Ansys, use SI unit system.

For Instance I created a model in mm through NX(Unigraphics), then I imported to Ansys for Structural analysis. In that I took 1000 mm in NX to 1 meter in Ansys, based on that I applied pressure and Gravity load.

Like that don't confuse with units, u may know the dimensions of the part based on that u can create and Analysis.
GUNASEKAR

Chennai, India

#10 Dec 27, 2013
if i import a iges , which is drawn in mm,,,,then what unit i used for load
youngs modulus,,N/mm2..OR..,N/M2
surendhar

Chennai, India

#11 Dec 30, 2013
How to cut the volumes in ansys.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

ANSYS Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Population balance in fluidized bed. Oct 3 michaleadam 1
ansys plugin error (May '09) Sep '14 gama44 53
How to install ANSYS 13 (Dec '10) Sep '14 GOWTHAM 137
ERROR: Feature MAPDL Solve Capability timed out Aug '14 Florasaurus17 1
vibration analysis of buckled beam Aug '14 kartikey shahi 1
Connect mesh to volume in Ansys APDL Aug '14 Giacomo 1
Ansys Piezoelectric Harmonic Analysis (Feb '13) Aug '14 Quoc Le 3

ANSYS People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE