US Airways to Takeover American Airli...

US Airways to Takeover American Airlines?

There are 27 comments on the KSFO-AM San Francisco story from Mar 23, 2012, titled US Airways to Takeover American Airlines?. In it, KSFO-AM San Francisco reports that:

US Airways is reportedly in talks to takeover the now bankrupt parent company of American Airlines, AMR Corporation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KSFO-AM San Francisco.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#1 Mar 23, 2012
That's great news... US Airways has excellent labor relations with unions. look how well they did with the pilot seniority issue with America West. If US Airways and AA become a single compnay they will be back in BK within 2 years... Take that professional airline analysts.. What do I base my prediction on? Neither management team is competent.
Flyer

Arlington, TX

#2 Mar 23, 2012
The only thing worse then the Mgt at US Air and AMR are their respective Unions.
Cableguy

Fort Mill, SC

#3 Mar 23, 2012
Well did we ever think that Parker would pass up this oppurtunity? Nooooooo! Get ready for layoffs at USAirways and AMR if this occures. Parker and his group of "Cubicle Geeks" love this chance, as dupplication is a way of downsizing and seeking more and more outsourcing of services. Sooooo standby, things have been quiet at both AMR and USAirways which means that they are in talks, both will suffer layoffs above and beyond what AMR has already proposed. With the election coming up and jobs being the issue, all Parker and his "Geeks" have to do is "YELL" the threat of layoffs and Washington will agree to such a merger. "perfect Timing for both AMR and Parker.

Santee CA

#4 Mar 23, 2012
Flyer wrote:
The only thing worse then the Mgt at US Air and AMR are their respective Unions.
Without the unions protecting the workers from managerial decisions neither place would be a place to make a career. Airline careers for anyone not in the plane are about to become a thing of the past. You dislike the service you are getting now, wait 5 years.
Jose Manuel

New Port Richey, FL

#5 Mar 23, 2012
mi and my brother pedro we go to airplane feex school and feex usair plane cheep now we feex american airplanes chep
Glenn Curtiss

Midlothian, TX

#6 Mar 23, 2012
As an AA employee I'm willing to bite the bullet and take whatever cuts necessary to keep my job and seniority. In the end most of us will agree to keep our way of life and make up the small difference in some other way. If USAirways takes over AA we will either be at the bottom of the list or laid off. I don't want either of those scenarios. I hope AA will emerge as a stand alone, financially solvent company.

Santee CA

#7 Mar 23, 2012
Glenn Curtiss wrote:
As an AA employee I'm willing to bite the bullet and take whatever cuts necessary to keep my job and seniority. In the end most of us will agree to keep our way of life and make up the small difference in some other way. If USAirways takes over AA we will either be at the bottom of the list or laid off. I don't want either of those scenarios. I hope AA will emerge as a stand alone, financially solvent company.
The BK makes life interesting. The ramp has buyout language in thier contract. Only usefull if it isn't voided. I don't see the logic in a USAir buyout. They haven't fixed the HP/US Pilot seniority issue yet, now you want to mix in AA pilots. Parker can wish and dream but I don't see it happening. What is truly sad is that after 25 years of destroying my body for this company I will have to walk away with virtually nothing. I'm just glad I saw it coming and put a back up plan in motion.
ex airline employee

Southfield, MI

#8 Mar 23, 2012
all well did not help us
Glenn Curtiss

Midlothian, TX

#9 Mar 24, 2012
Prost wrote:
<quoted text>after 25 years of destroying my body for this company I will have to walk away with virtually nothing.
Let's look at this in a positive way "Prost". I had the ability to live 1000 miles away from my family but hop on a plane anytime I wanted to visit them. I was able to live a decent middle class lifestyle, buy a home, and visit places people in my income level only dream about. I walk away with plenty even if it's just good memories of places I've been, places I've been to and people I've met. Not bad. At 50, I hope for another ten years :)
Nats

Thomasville, NC

#10 Mar 24, 2012
Pilot Senoirity, Management doesn't care. If there is a merger the seniority will never be merged. Seperate operations indifinetly, no joint contracts ever. Union members you have nothing to fear with the labor friendly Obama Administration.
Your biggest fear should be $5 or higher fuel prices, which will idle half of the airlines fleets.
Lincoln Beachey

Dallas, TX

#11 Mar 24, 2012
Nats wrote:
Union members you have nothing to fear with the labor friendly Obama Administration.
Huh? What does Obama have to do with any of this?
It's in the best interest of the employees to join together and agree to take a big hit but keep our jobs. If the Judge decides we all will get less than what the company is offering. For one, I want my job.

Since: Apr 08

Tulsa, OK

#12 Mar 24, 2012
Glenn Curtiss wrote:
<quoted text>Let's look at this in a positive way "Prost". I had the ability to live 1000 miles away from my family but hop on a plane anytime I wanted to visit them. I was able to live a decent middle class lifestyle, buy a home, and visit places people in my income level only dream about. I walk away with plenty even if it's just good memories of places I've been, places I've been to and people I've met. Not bad. At 50, I hope for another ten years :)
Glenn, you know about how the majority of the union guys think. They want it all - NOW. Supreme compromise when management is painting a bleak picture, no way! Let them shutdown the airline! We'll show them who's boss!

Well it's section 1113 or another airline purchases the company. If I had my druthers, I would like to see Delta, US Scair is still a basket case.

Santee CA

#13 Mar 24, 2012
Glenn Curtiss wrote:
<quoted text>Let's look at this in a positive way "Prost". I had the ability to live 1000 miles away from my family but hop on a plane anytime I wanted to visit them. I was able to live a decent middle class lifestyle, buy a home, and visit places people in my income level only dream about. I walk away with plenty even if it's just good memories of places I've been, places I've been to and people I've met. Not bad. At 50, I hope for another ten years :)
Oh I won't say it hasn't been fun. I am looking at the very real possibility of losing my 2nd house in 25 years due to layoffs and cutbacks.(the first one was in 1996) Non-rev travel in and out of SAN is close to nonexsistant. The past 5-6 years is when the fun went away. I'm just glad I live in a vacation spot so I don't need to try to travel to one.
Flyer

Arlington, TX

#14 Mar 25, 2012
Prost wrote:
<quoted text>Without the unions protecting the workers from managerial decisions neither place would be a place to make a career. Airline careers for anyone not in the plane are about to become a thing of the past. You dislike the service you are getting now, wait 5 years.
Service can't get worse then having to deal with AMR airport and inboard personnel. It simply can't, as AMR is and has been at the bottom of the bottom for a long long time. But, I am sure some how that is someone elses fault, right?
steve

Redwood, VA

#15 Mar 25, 2012
I hope usairways does not combine with american.American I hope can come out of chapter 11 intact and not saddled with airways.Usairways is the airline that brought you processing fees to redeem miles,was the first to charge for water and commuter aircraft such as the 25 year old dash 8 that vibrate your fillings loose.
AA has always been a notch above airways in service and their route system.
Toad

Sheffield, UK

#16 Mar 26, 2012
Glenn Curtiss wrote:
Dear Sir.......Federal rules will not allow for stapled to the bottom to ever exist again. AMR was the last to use it w/ their purchase of TWA. Alas, I do hope u emerge w/ out Doug as he is the Ichan of the present. Take care, work hard and remember UAL,CAL,DAL,USAir,AmerWest, NWA have all filed BK and survived.
Toad

Sheffield, UK

#17 Mar 26, 2012
Flyer wrote:
<quoted text>
Service can't get worse then having to deal with AMR airport and inboard personnel. It simply can't, as AMR is and has been at the bottom of the bottom for a long long time. But, I am sure some how that is someone elses fault, right?
Hey F"yer..........what the heck is an inboard personnel? Ur ignorance of the workplace proceeds you.
Toad

Sheffield, UK

#18 Mar 26, 2012
Prost wrote:
<quoted text>Oh I won't say it hasn't been fun. I am looking at the very real possibility of losing my 2nd house in 25 years due to layoffs and cutbacks.(the first one was in 1996) Non-rev travel in and out of SAN is close to nonexsistant. The past 5-6 years is when the fun went away. I'm just glad I live in a vacation spot so I don't need to try to travel to one.
Cheers and Congrats. Wish I had kept my place in Carlsbad that I paid 72k and sold for 275k. Would rather have the shack back and no mortgage and living in paradise!! Congrats! Do you know the twins that used to work for AMR/WAL out of SAN? They were great guys.
Meryl Getline

Dallas, TX

#19 Mar 26, 2012
We just want to keep our jobs. I will take a few bucks less and pay a little more for insurance if that's what it takes.
123zoom

Annapolis, MD

#20 Apr 1, 2012
I think it will be a big improvement for AMR. I fly US Airways- a lot and find it just fine to fly. Service is usually pretty good (especially international) but American? Forget it...they are really on the way down. Someone needs to buy them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

AMR Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rolls-Royce, American Airlines to dissolve Texa... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Prospective Passe... 1
News American Air, union reach tentative pacts for U... (Jun '14) Jun '14 cableguy 1
News American Airlines' parent earns $289 million in... (Oct '13) May '14 MERS on AA omg 10
News Tom Horton will step down as American Airlines ... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Toad 4
News Supreme Court Won't Hear AMR, U.S. Bank Make-Wh... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Clem CadidleHopper 1
News American Airlines posts $2 billion loss on charges (Jan '14) Jan '14 AA for life 2
News American Eagle To Change Name (Jan '14) Jan '14 jason 4
More from around the web