TennCare's smoking cessation benefit ...

TennCare's smoking cessation benefit will improve enrollee's health

There are 5 comments on the The Tennessean story from May 15, 2011, titled TennCare's smoking cessation benefit will improve enrollee's health. In it, The Tennessean reports that:

Last week's announcement by Gov. Bill Haslam's administration of budgeting $3.5 million for a TennCare smoking cessation benefit in the 2011-12 state budget is a step in the right direction for tobacco control in Tennessee.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Tennessean.

Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#1 May 16, 2011
I hadn't heard of this. That IS useful. Now, if he and the other politicos will only take the shackles off local governments and let cities deal with the problems smoking causes in the higher population density there, things really WILL improve.

As it stands, the cities not only have to persuade the rural representatives of the State Legislature to act for the public health, they have to get any legislation related to tobacco control past the Agriculture Committees first, before the rest of the Senators and Representatives can have a chance to decide.

The tobacco industry REALLY got over on US.
My Cut

Jackson, TN

#2 May 23, 2011
If they are giving drug addicts (smokers) money to quit we who have never smoked should get the same amount of money for never starting!
I am SICK of my tax dollars being used to reward people who make STUPID decisions!!!
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#3 May 23, 2011
My Cut wrote:
If they are giving drug addicts (smokers) money to quit we who have never smoked should get the same amount of money for never starting!
I am SICK of my tax dollars being used to reward people who make STUPID decisions!!!
Keep in mind that the government has been given hundreds of millions of dollars for the role the tobacco industry's fraud and illegal marketing tactics played in addicting those smokers. This represents so SMALL a portion of that money it is ridiculous. And in THIS case the money is being in a direct effort to UNdo some of what that crime has done.

Has anyone given the government billions of dollars because of a fraud that led to your being a nonsmoker? No? Me, neither.
My Cut

Jackson, TN

#5 May 23, 2011
They should ban tobacco NOW.

Millions starving yet thousands of acres of land are wasted growing poison.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#6 May 23, 2011
Rick Cartmanez wrote:
Smokers are losers. And maybe the very best measure of the possible accuracy of Darwinism/evolution.
Head down to your local smoking area. Are YOU like those people? Anyone with a brain in their head quit YEARS ago.
Please remember that the tobacco industry's VERY highly paid and competent marketing research team spent DECADES helping them design ways to addict CHILDREN, whose decision-making faculties are PHYSIOLOGICALLY un-developed. It has NOTHING to do with general mental capacity. It has NOTHING to do with the eventually-developed decision-making ability.

THEN remember that the SAME industry's VERY highly-paid R&D staff spent DECADES figuring out just how to maximize the addictive potential of the nicotine in their products.

DECIDING to quit is NOT enough.~70% of current smokers ADMIT that they have MADE that decision but were unable to follow through.

Nicotine addiction is simply another disease, although it is far more wide-spread than most and the symptoms far more obvious.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

American Lung Association Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Smoking results in staggering costs over a life... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Pete 1
BOOP Pneumonia (Jul '15) Jul '15 Willy1962 1
News 40-cent cigarette tax hike not enough, anti-tob... (Jun '15) Jun '15 LiesBeTold 7
News EMU's smoking ban is a good thing (May '15) May '15 Ohio loves bans 1
News Some expert tips to help smokers finally quit i... (Jan '15) Jan '15 smokers death face 1
News Much More Must Be Done to Lower Smoking Rates, ... (Jan '14) Jan '14 SO GROSS 1
News Anti-smoking groups: Cuomo budget cuts effort (Jan '13) Jan '13 Bernard Continelli 2
More from around the web