New York urged to bolster anti-smokin...

New York urged to bolster anti-smoking efforts

There are 2 comments on the Star-Gazette story from Sep 22, 2011, titled New York urged to bolster anti-smoking efforts. In it, Star-Gazette reports that:

Representatives from New York's leading health organizations called on the state Monday to increase spending on anti-smoking campaigns.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Star-Gazette.

Walt

Brandon, Canada

#1 Sep 22, 2011
The state has only raised $406 million on anti smoking campaigns.....
What is really accomplished with more pamphlets about the effects on health that get used to write the number of the local cab company on, more commercials that everyone has seen 8 zillion times, more people to go and preach to the converted, more advertisements to scare people straight etc.

More and more and more of the same tends to get boring and make the subject seem even more boring than it is.
Walt

Winnipeg, Canada

#3 Sep 23, 2011
Jerry wrote:
<quoted text>
Put on a took, eat some back bacon and TAKE OFF!!! eh!!!
"Put on a took" must be a regional term. It is certainly not one I have encountered so it misses any mark you intended. I would rather someone spent $406 on illustrating to people how ineffective communication can be when we are reduced to relying on only words.

Your intent was not misunderstood though. I would think when life is about recession we would stand back and question ALL expenditures. If the purchase is redundant, and in this case, seriously redundant it could be better spent elsewhere ie feeding people, creating jobs and so on as opposed to recreating the wheel.

That is where special interest groups loose perspective and those clinging to it become their own type of fools. If programs for cessation have had so much success surely maintenance is enough. Infusing greater and greater amounts of money is simply irresponsible. Dying from smoking and its effects is only one form of death.Money has to cover other forms of research and search for cures for many types of deaths.

I don't smoke, but back bacon would be my preference ( with pork fat trimmed ) if I was desperate for bacon. It is far leaner than side bacon and is recommended for people who want a bacon treat with less potential consequences than side bacon. Of course there is faux, as well as chicken and turkey, bacon made by a variety of companies if that is your choice. I have no problems with cholesterol but am supplying you with "more" information about healthy eating in case the messages have not reached you. Maybe more of that money needs to be spent on information about how food kills us.

The difference bewteen

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

American Cancer Society Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Making Strides salad (Dec '15) Jan '16 Gilberto_Farthing 6
News Erie church selling 'fight breast cancer' T-shirts (Oct '15) Jan '16 Fact 4
News Mammograms good at 40 but even better at 50, ad... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Here is a Thought 1
News Breast cancer fundraiser to make Third Thursday... (Oct '15) Oct '15 cops are liars an... 1
News Making strides against breast cancer (Aug '15) Aug '15 Caroline 1
News Many cancer survivors have unmet physical, ment... (Apr '15) Apr '15 _Learsi 1
News Study shows smoking even more deadly (Feb '15) Feb '15 One who Thinks 2
More from around the web