Education Funding Fight Brewing

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

A school funding fight is brewing between Charlottesville and Albemarle County. Albemarle's School Board is considering taking a budget amendment to Richmond to recalculate the state's education funding split between the city and county.
Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Nov 29, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
cvillemom

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2009

Judged:

It's about time that the inequity be corrected! Thank you to the Albemarle County School Board and Rob Bell for finally realizing that there are ways to deal with Albemarle's funding shortages besides more tax increases.
To Mayor Norris and the citizens of the City of Charlottesville: Sorry, you've had it good for a lot of years, now isn't it about time you start paying more of your own way?
teacheracps

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2009

Judged:

It may be unfortunate for the city--but Albemarle County Public Schools are facing devastating cuts in funding. It shouldn't be disturbing and distressing. It really is simply an enormous inequity that warrants being fixed.
wondering

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2009

Charlottesville Mayor Dave Norris said, "It's very distressing, very disturbing if this moves forward."<<<

Not to me it isn`t. Maybe it is time your ox was gored.
wondering

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2009

Didn`t mean to double post - it was worth only one post.If that.
sick of it

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2009

Duhhh? Who signed the revenue sharing agreement with the city in the first place? It is not the fault of the city that the county has gone broke. The county has overdeveloped its tasteless sprawl and now they can't make do. Just too bad in my opinion. Better management is called for in the county. The county is dumping all of their homeless, poor, and traffic into Charlottesville. Charlottesville deserves to keep the funding.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2009

Judged:

Neither community deserves squat. They both squander tax payer money to no end, especially the city. Time foe torches and pitchforks.
Dark Side

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2009

Judged:

Sorry City your free ride is over. Time to manage your money better and realize you have to handle your own for a change. I guess the liberals will have to take responsibility for something for a change and not take money that isn't theirs.
Serious

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2009

Both sides need to take a little responsibility and be honest about squandered funds. There is much waste on all sides.
Waste Not Want Not

Rocky Mount, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2009

Judged:

Could you please enumerate the waste you allege?
I do note that Albemarle County gave no teacher raises and has no new projects -- no libraries, fire stations, parks, school renovatiosn -- while Charlottesville City teachers got raises in 2009-10 and the city is readying $40 million for new projects, including a new fire station.
The $18 million is unaffected by the down economy -- and based on revenues of two years ago, to boot.
Serious

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2009

Waste Not Want Not wrote:
Could you please enumerate the waste you allege?
I do note that Albemarle County gave no teacher raises and has no new projects -- no libraries, fire stations, parks, school renovatiosn -- while Charlottesville City teachers got raises in 2009-10 and the city is readying $40 million for new projects, including a new fire station.
The $18 million is unaffected by the down economy -- and based on revenues of two years ago, to boot.
unnessecary construction, painting parking lots and buildings that didn't need it. Conference rooms with plush new furniture. Toys for staff that serve no educational function. Food for meetings and huge conferences. The list goes on...
twistermom

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2009

serious
I work on a PTO in a county school and I can tell you that the painting done in our school was donated by a family and the food for meetings is provided by PTO volunteers. The county has an obligation to taxpayers and to the students to make sure the upkeep on the buildings is completed. While you might think this is a waste, you are wrong.
Ron

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2009

Judged:

If albermarle can't control their own budget its thier own fault, they agreed to the shareing years ago. If they want to go that direction Charlottesville should throw out the agremeant and anax the county and take in all the land it can. If albermarle wouldn't fight every business that trys to come in they wouldn't have any problem with the budget. This area doesn't have most of the chains that other areas in the state have because they give them such a hard time. Houses with kids don't pay the majority of taxes large business does more houses only cause the need for more schools. Look at Greene they woke up and it will mean less taxes for the people that live in Greene.
Serious

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2009

Central office work was not pto funded.
cvillemom

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2009

Ron wrote:
..Charlottesville should throw out the agremeant and anax the county and take in all the land it can.
My understanding is that there are now state laws that prohibit cities from annexing county lands to increase their tax base. The county should look at ways that they can repeal the agreement all together, or at the very least, have it re-negotiated periodically. Times and circumstances change. Just like the archaic laws that no longer serve their intended purpose are repealed, so should this agreement be re-examined to see if it still makes sense in the current world.
constitutionalis t

Palmyra, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2009

Ron wrote:
If albermarle can't control their own budget its thier own fault, they agreed to the shareing years ago. If they want to go that direction Charlottesville should throw out the agremeant and anax the county and take in all the land it can. If albermarle wouldn't fight every business that trys to come in they wouldn't have any problem with the budget. This area doesn't have most of the chains that other areas in the state have because they give them such a hard time. Houses with kids don't pay the majority of taxes large business does more houses only cause the need for more schools. Look at Greene they woke up and it will mean less taxes for the people that live in Greene.
Please don't feed the troll.
Fox Fan

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2009

The only education these kids need is to watch 3 hours of Fox News every day! They would be much better educated, and millions of squandered funds could be returned to taxpayers!
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2009

Fox Fan wrote:
The only education these kids need is to watch 3 hours of Fox News every day! They would be much better educated, and millions of squandered funds could be returned to taxpayers!
I believe that falls under the heading of propaganda. Of course you may want your kids to grow up as mindless zombies thats fine by me, somebody has to work at McDonalds. Why don't you start handing out brown shirts while your at it.
constitutionalis t

Palmyra, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2009

thinking free wrote:
...somebody has to work at McDonalds.
You almost hit the nail on the head. That is part of the problem. When was the last time you saw a teenager working at McDonalds? That was almost everyone's first job when I was growing up. Now, we train them for future citizenship by giving them money instead getting a job and earning it.
Fox Fan

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2009

thinking free wrote:
<quoted text> I believe that falls under the heading of propaganda. Of course you may want your kids to grow up as mindless zombies thats fine by me, somebody has to work at McDonalds. Why don't you start handing out brown shirts while your at it.
I dont want them to grow up mindless zombies. That is why they are forbidden to watch CBS (communist broadcasting system), NBC (national brainswashing company), ABC (america bashing channel), CNN (communist news network) or any of the other anti-amerrican liberal conspiracy propeganda channels. Fox is the only news that is fair and balanced, and that is why they give the left a chance to present their point of view, and then present the truth. It is the only education that kids really need.
Dark Side

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2009

thinking free wrote:
<quoted text> I believe that falls under the heading of propaganda. Of course you may want your kids to grow up as mindless zombies thats fine by me, somebody has to work at McDonalds. Why don't you start handing out brown shirts while your at it.
thinking free stop feeding the troll please. No one really advocates only listening or watching to one news network all this blogger is doing is trolling. Your better then that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Albemarle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fatal Car Accident in Staunton (Jan '13) Nov '13 Augusta County 20
VDOT Holds Hearing on Western Bypass Design Opt... (May '13) Sep '13 Im Ya Huckleberry 15
Orange Woman Charged with Hit-and-Run in Albemarle (Jul '13) Jul '13 mista swim 4
Albemarle Sheriff's Search & Rescue Locates Mis... (Jul '13) Jul '13 thanks 12
VDOT Crews Working to Reopen Dick Woods Road (Jul '13) Jul '13 Tax Dollars at Work 1
Deadline Nears for Albemarle Residents Waiting ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Crack Scooter 13
W.R. Grace - Maybe The Most Valuable Bankrupt C... (Jun '13) Jun '13 mike crill 1

Search the Albemarle Forum:
•••