County And City Add Up Cost Of Storm

As the snow from this month's huge storm melts, the costs are still adding up. The deadline to submit costs to the state in hopes of getting federal disaster relief money was Wednesday evening, and now the wait for dollars is on. Full Story
Snowed In

North Garden, VA

#1 Dec 30, 2009
I don't understand. I live 4 miles down Rt. 20 North on a state route and to this day, no county or state vehicle has been down the state maintained road. No plowing, no sand, no chemicals. I know of several other roads in the county that did not get touched. Can someone explain this to me?

“mookcollins to the rescue!”

Since: Nov 09

new market

#2 Dec 30, 2009
well i suar can...its caled aint nobodie importaint livin on your part of the road.
Dear Snowed In

United States

#3 Dec 30, 2009
If you are still snowed in, I suggest you grab a shovel and clear a path so you can see the sun
thinking free

Rocky Mount, VA

#4 Dec 30, 2009
Snowed In wrote:
I don't understand. I live 4 miles down Rt. 20 North on a state route and to this day, no county or state vehicle has been down the state maintained road. No plowing, no sand, no chemicals. I know of several other roads in the county that did not get touched. Can someone explain this to me?
Not a problem, as a tax payer you are classified as a sucker, as such you will endure what ever our elected leaders wish.
UVA FAN

Keswick, VA

#5 Dec 31, 2009
A $450,000 job that costs 900,000. Rt 729 between Rt 53 and Rt 618 is still a mess! Once again a fleecing of the taxpayer! If I did this kind of work I would be fired. But hay, maybe I could get a job with the state, look out Lou, I know I could do better.
commuter

United States

#6 Dec 31, 2009
Its called poor management to waste the public funds and not show results. Washington should tell them to shove it.
Faith

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Dec 31, 2009
Albemarle County spokeswoman Lee Catlin says, "Those estimates include personnel costs, overtime being the biggest expense. We also had pretty significant fuel costs.

Seriously? Fuel costs? Then perhaps you shouldnt PAY the drivers who were riding around with their blades UP,(not pouring chemicals nor sand or salt)or just hanging out in gas station parking lots sipping coffee with the engine running! And OVERTIME costs? Are you a complete ignorant idiot?? This storm was predicted WAY in advance why werent people scheduled appropriatley to AVOID overtime costs? Dozens of roads are still a mess and very hazardous. Where exactly do you come up with this ludicris price?! I could understand if the roads were plowed (ALL roads) in a timely manner however they were not and still are not. This is insane and VDOT should be ASHAMED!
Belmont

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Dec 31, 2009
29 News- Please ask Lee Catlin why pay overtime for the poor job, plows up in the air and most of all WHERE IS THE SALT?
thinking free

Rocky Mount, VA

#9 Jan 1, 2010
thinking free wrote:
<quoted text>Not a problem, as a tax payer you are classified as a sucker, as such you will endure what ever our elected leaders wish.
Thinkee free did not post this comment. Some numbnut from martinsville did.
thinking free

Rocky Mount, VA

#10 Jan 1, 2010
I think we've reached a point in time where most everyone making a management decision on the local level has reached the top of the Peter Principle.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albemarle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fatal Car Accident in Staunton (Jan '13) Nov '13 Augusta County 20
VDOT Holds Hearing on Western Bypass Design Opt... (May '13) Sep '13 Im Ya Huckleberry 15
Orange Woman Charged with Hit-and-Run in Albemarle (Jul '13) Jul '13 mista swim 4
Albemarle Sheriff's Search & Rescue Locates Mis... (Jul '13) Jul '13 thanks 12
VDOT Crews Working to Reopen Dick Woods Road (Jul '13) Jul '13 Tax Dollars at Work 1
Deadline Nears for Albemarle Residents Waiting ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Crack Scooter 13
W.R. Grace - Maybe The Most Valuable Bankrupt C... (Jun '13) Jun '13 mike crill 1

Albemarle People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE