Outpour of Opinions at Western Bypass...

Outpour of Opinions at Western Bypass Public Hearing

There are 40 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jul 13, 2011, titled Outpour of Opinions at Western Bypass Public Hearing. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

The last time there was a public hearing on the Western Bypass, 7,000 people showed up; that was 20 years ago.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Growth is now to the east

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jul 14, 2011
The Question is why a western bypass? This is a project that was thought of 20 years ago when growth was in the western and northern part of the county but for the last several years growth has also blossomed in the eastern part of the county and in the northern part of Fluvanna and the southwestern part of Louisa county (Zion Cross Roads area). The Pantops area traffic is a zoo and is only going to get worse. Why not consider an eastern bypass.
just a opinion

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Jul 14, 2011
i have to agree with the above article, why not a whole new bypass all together. Richmond put up the new 288 years ago and it saves at least 45 mins to the south side of Richmond. ok i get the "lets not kill the wildflowers" thing but lets be real, we have an HUGE state park 30 mins away called skyline drive. Charlottesville is a growing community that needs space to grow. And please whatever happens, don't let this bypass go through the city. We would have a total unfinished project on our hands just like the meadow-creek parkway.
ricky

Glasgow, VA

#3 Jul 14, 2011
For heaven's sake, stop building roads we do not need. This bypass benefits the truckers and business people of southern and southwest Virginia, not the people or businesses of our area. It's inane and unaffordable in this environment to spend millions on a road we absolutely do not want, need, or desire. Give it up and concentrate on improving the roads we have.
ccc

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Jul 14, 2011
Anyone that has dealt with traffic on 29 OR Pantops knows that something needs to happen. We definitely need a western bypass first...but it needs to start at the airport not at the current location.

Then the east needs to be dealt with. Pantops is also a gridlock in the morning and afternoon--dangerously so.

If anyone has driven the Lynchburg bypass--you'll see that it will be welcomed once finished.

Additionally---and just why isn't the Albemarle portion of the Meadowcreek Parkway NOT open????
Your grade school teacher

Front Royal, VA

#5 Jul 14, 2011
Is this REALLY worth $250 million? REALLY?
growit

Douglasville, GA

#6 Jul 14, 2011
" if work on the Western Bypass does not move forward, VDOT's Culpeper headquarters will have to pay back the $47-million already spent on the project."

It this the main reason for revisiting the project now?

A plan from 20 years ago, may not be the best one today, since growth/traffic trends do seem to be increasing fast on the other side of town.
The Squeeze

United States

#7 Jul 14, 2011
Charlottesville is a bottleneck and should be avoided at all costs! One way in from the north (29), one way in from the east (250), and everybody seems to live to the north or to the east and apparently nobody works because it's always slam packed busy. Pantops is a complete zoo all the time because there is only 1 bridge that all traffic must cross, all the lights in town seem to be timed so to force you to stop at every light, there is only one lane for getting on 250W/29S on Seminole Trial and it backs up all the way to Northrop Grumman regularly. What has happened with the Meadowcreek Parkway (which is pointless anyway)? It is halfway done and now we just have a completed section of road that is closed. I suppose anything that will be done is gong to be done half a$$ anyway so why bother? Just avoid this joke of a city.
David

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Jul 14, 2011
So is John Grisham, a newer member to our community, offering to pay the 47 million in exchange? What a room full of crazies....This will hurt our rich educational heritage?....you mean our Rich Citizens !!!!It would have been built 20 years ago if it went through an Africa-American neighborhood, a Native American Cemetary or some poor peoples property. My chears to the project and the Board of Supervisors
Freedom

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Jul 14, 2011
This whole issue is a travesty that should have been discarded for good years ago. By definition "bypass" means going around something that already exists, not going "through" homes and neighborhoods. Calling a road a bypass does not make it one. And why at a meeting of the Board of Supervisors of Albemarle County are nonresidents stating their opinions? That is a total waste of time and Mr. Grisham was directly on target when he addressed that issue. If the Commonwealth of Virginia can waste money on this boondoogle the idea of any type of fiscal crisis in our state and nation is a joke. Put this issue to bed and vote out of office the supervisors who resorted to a late night maneuver to bring it back to see the light of day.
two cents

United States

#11 Jul 14, 2011
As a resident of Hollymead, I have to say that this proposal totally disgusts me. I am all for a bypass around Charlottesville. The traffic on 29 is horrendous. It takes me 25 - 30 minutes to get home every evening. The design is horrible! What idiot came up with the idea of dumping bypass traffic into a residential neighborhood? By the way, where is Rob Bell on this issue?!? A 16 year old girl was KILLED at the intersection where this bypass will end on 29N! If you are going to take the time and money to reduce the speed limit, trim trees, add warning strips and signs, how can you rest comfortably knowing that you're just setting up another family to deal with the same tragedy?! What sense does this make?! If any of the members of the board traveled up 29N, you would know that we're never allowed to forget the tragic loss of Sydney. The changes brought about by her death were for the better, but all of that will be for nothing if this is approved. Maybe he's managed to forget after all.
south of cville

Lyndhurst, VA

#12 Jul 14, 2011
the traffic on 29 has passed awful, to the point where driving through you're reminded of northern virginia. those of us in albemarle south of town find it faster to go a further distance to waynesboro than to go into charlottesville. maybe a bypass would actually help business because we wouldn't hate driving through charlottesville so much. i agree it should be further north than the forest lakes south area though.
Captain Obvious

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Jul 14, 2011
Wrong answer, Ricky. I've stopped shopping on 29 North because I can hop on I-64 and get to the stores around exit 94 more quickly than I can get to the same stores on 29.
So, Goodbye Seminole Square. Goodbye Rio Hill. Goodbye Fashion Square, home of gangfights. Maybe when a bypass is finally in place maybe just maybe my shopping dollars will return to C'ville.
ricky wrote:
For heaven's sake, stop building roads we do not need. This bypass benefits the truckers and business people of southern and southwest Virginia, not the people or businesses of our area. It's inane and unaffordable in this environment to spend millions on a road we absolutely do not want, need, or desire. Give it up and concentrate on improving the roads we have.
Captain Obvious

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Jul 14, 2011
Actually, the part of a I-64/US29 access road that went through african-american neighborhoods was built. The city leaders plowed up the Vinegar Hill area, brought 4 lanes up 5th street, got to Market street and stopped for fear of pi55ing off white people.

Charlottesville has a rich history of failing to make good on promises to neghboring communities, the state, and the federal government.
David wrote:
So is John Grisham, a newer member to our community, offering to pay the 47 million in exchange? What a room full of crazies....This will hurt our rich educational heritage?....you mean our Rich Citizens !!!!It would have been built 20 years ago if it went through an Africa-American neighborhood, a Native American Cemetary or some poor peoples property. My chears to the project and the Board of Supervisors
JT McGraw

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Jul 14, 2011
I vote to build it as proposed but if given a choice, I'd take it further north past Hollymead. If it could go up to Ruckersville, I'd be OK with that as well because that corridor between the Airport and Sheets is going to be just as congested with stop lights and strip malls soon.

In either case the bypass is long overdue.
uva

Winchester, VA

#16 Jul 14, 2011
I was mentioned that the Sierra Club was in a panic mode trying to locate people from all over the country to sit with them in opposition, letÂ’s have a local referendum.
Ben

Southfield, MI

#17 Jul 14, 2011
All this bs because some developer sold unsuspecting dummies houses in a development in the proposed path of the 29 bypass many years ago. Of course because these dummies have money, the BOS hears them loud and clear. Build the 29 bypass already!
Mow

Fredericksburg, VA

#18 Jul 14, 2011
Thre birth rate is not stagnant as much as some clueless people would like to beleive. Regardless of you position common sence and the public good dictates that the bypass should be built. Those opposed live in different world the rest of us do, includung Mr. Grisham.
Albemarle

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Jul 14, 2011
Mow wrote:
Thre birth rate is not stagnant as much as some clueless people would like to beleive. Regardless of you position common sence and the public good dictates that the bypass should be built. Those opposed live in different world the rest of us do, includung Mr. Grisham.
That different world is called Albemarle County and you are correct that it is different from Stafford, which I am certain is a wonderful place.
Patriotically Speaking

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Jul 14, 2011
When Thorpe opens her mouth either something wacky and stupid comes out or a double cheesbuger goes in.
So so sad...
Cry Babies

UK

#21 Jul 14, 2011
Is it just me or does it seem like to only opposition to any projects regarding Cville, or Albemarle are coming from groups where the average age is in the retirement range. They hence have nothing better to do then fight to save their precious way of life. So let me get this straight we are worried about the environment?? but yet we find it ok to allow 5000+ vehicles to sit idle while waiting to turn onto 29/250S. Yeah that great for the environment??. Next- "But the Bypass will divert traffic away from businesses on 29" No it will improve it because people will start using 29 again instead of the interstate which is Earlysville Road and others as there will be less traffic fighting to get THROUGH town. Define Bypass Verb: Go past or around. So go around everything start at North Garden and take it all the way to Ruckersville. That is a bypass./rant

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albemarle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fatal Car Accident in Staunton (Jan '13) Nov '13 Augusta County 19
News VDOT Holds Hearing on Western Bypass Design Opt... (May '13) Sep '13 Im Ya Huckleberry 15
News Orange Woman Charged with Hit-and-Run in Albemarle (Jul '13) Jul '13 mista swim 4
News Albemarle Sheriff's Search & Rescue Locates Mis... (Jul '13) Jul '13 thanks 12
News VDOT Crews Working to Reopen Dick Woods Road (Jul '13) Jul '13 Tax Dollars at Work 1
News Deadline Nears for Albemarle Residents Waiting ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Crack Scooter 13
News W.R. Grace - Maybe The Most Valuable Bankrupt C... (Jun '13) Jun '13 mike crill 1
More from around the web