Charlottesville And Albemarle Fight F...

Charlottesville And Albemarle Fight For Funds

There are 12 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Feb 9, 2010, titled Charlottesville And Albemarle Fight For Funds. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

State legislators started lining up Tuesday on either side of the funding fight between Albemarle County and Charlottesville city schools, and millions of dollars lay in the balance.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

AreYouKiddingMe- --

Waynesboro, VA

#1 Feb 9, 2010
14 point, how many million did Albemarle County give to the city on revenue sharing?, now the "Fight" is over money for our childrens' future and OUR future ( our children will become our leaders one day). I know, OBAMA will fix it ! yeah right, this countrys' going to hell---
cvillemom

Forest, VA

#2 Feb 9, 2010
"...county school board members want to fix the glitch by taking $2.6 million from the city school division."

Now that isn't exactly true, is it? Albemarle is asking the state to take into consideration the fact that the County gives the city millions of dollars every year when they calculate the county and city's ability to pay for education locally. No one in the County is trying to TAKE money from the city; we just want the state to acknowledge reality when they do their calculations.
Isn't that fair?

Since: Jul 09

Chi Town

#3 Feb 9, 2010
Didn't the county agree to this some time ago? And why? So when things get tough they cry? Indian givers. OOPs not PC
Tell it like it is

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Feb 10, 2010
End the revenue sharing agreement and annex some land in order to build up the tax base...it's that simple!
bingo

Scottsville, VA

#5 Feb 10, 2010
Tell it like it is wrote:
End the revenue sharing agreement and annex some land in order to build up the tax base...it's that simple!
I agree, the city should tear up the leagal document and start the process of annexation. I would take most of rt 29 north and also many of the local county neighborhoods. that would equal the money lost and also increase the number of students for chville schools that would bring in additional income. i would advise albermarle leaders to not go down that way pay the money ,for the other alternative is not so good. as asking the state for a refixing of the index, it is not going to happen for numerous reasons.whoever advised albermarle to do this , has given very bad advice to them.
I do not have a dog in this fight and still think this is political posturing.
Financial Conservative

Buford, GA

#6 Feb 10, 2010
Why not just combine the Charlottesville and Albemarle school systems and save millions of dollars each year on overhead and administrative salaries?
cvillemom

Forest, VA

#7 Feb 10, 2010
To Financial Conservative:

Citizens of the County DO NOT WANT to be saddled with the sorry lot of the city schools. Ask the people who move to Charlottesville from other localities where they buy houses - in the County - because we want the quality of County schools. The last thing we need here is to be stuck with supporting the mediocre city schools. They will drag us down in every respect. We already pay 18 million to the city (for what? I'm not sure). Why would we want to burden ourselves further by taking on that mess?
cvillemom

Forest, VA

#8 Feb 10, 2010
To "Tell it like it is" and "Bingo" - My understanding is that the state prohibits annexation such as you describe. That is one reason why Albemarle County citizens find the revenue sharing agreement so unpalatable. It doesn't have an expiration date and is non-negotiable, so even though the city can't legally annex county land in a tax grab anymore like they threatened to do in the past, we are stuck paying them millions for a threat that no longer exists.

Albemarle isn't trying to back out of the agreement- we are stuck with it. But it sure would be nice (and the only fair thing) if the state recognized the resources that are available to the city and not available to the county when they calculate the composite index.
Betsy in Cville

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Feb 10, 2010
Yes,the state money would be taken away from the City schools. Do you think the City is fighting this just because it hurts their feelings? Don't forget that Charlottesville's tax base shrinks every time the University buys land in the city because they are exempt from paying property taxes.
Keith Hernandez

Macomb, MI

#10 Feb 10, 2010
Take an Albemarle County resident who lives well otuside of city lines, say up near Greene County. Is there any possible way that they benefit from this agreement? Does the city pick up their trash, or plow their roads, etc? Certainly not. But, when it comes to their kids education, for example, and other things, the big loss of money given to Charlottesville could have a direct impact on them.
This agreement is old, was the last of its kind struck in the state before the law changed, and is glaring now that their are big budget issues in Albemarle County.
I normally diagree with Ken Boyd, but I appreciate what he is doing to help the county recoup some of this money
The idea of consolidating school is common (Charlotte/Mecklenburg comes to mind) but it would probably create more problems that what it would solve.
If I log on one morning and discover that the work of Delegate Bell, ACPS school board members and Mr. Boyd, among others, has gotten some money back into the county, I will be thrilled.
crozetstruggle

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Feb 10, 2010
Folks, we can't just "tear up the agreement". Its a legally binding, completely enforceable agreement. It might be a stupid agreement, in hindsight, but its still enforceable. The only way to dissolve it is for Charlottesville to agree and I don't see why they would. Either the state acknowledges the county's fiscal realities, or the city agrees to combine systems. Considering the Gov. just screwed over Albemarle county schools by his decision concerning the composite index, that will shift money our school division could have received from the state to his political pals in northern Va., it would appear that Richmond will not help us. We better make nice with the City of stop griping.
bingo

Rocky Mount, VA

#12 Feb 22, 2010
cvillemom wrote:
To "Tell it like it is" and "Bingo" - My understanding is that the state prohibits annexation such as you describe. That is one reason why Albemarle County citizens find the revenue sharing agreement so unpalatable. It doesn't have an expiration date and is non-negotiable, so even though the city can't legally annex county land in a tax grab anymore like they threatened to do in the past, we are stuck paying them millions for a threat that no longer exists.
Albemarle isn't trying to back out of the agreement- we are stuck with it. But it sure would be nice (and the only fair thing) if the state recognized the resources that are available to the city and not available to the county when they calculate the composite index.
thanks for your input, I apperciate your comments. i agree that just after the city and county signed the non annexation aggreement, the va general assembly did prohibit annexation.It would be intersting to see what if the tables were turned, would albemarle be fighting to "save their money?". I think they would be doing exactly chville is doing now.
this seems to be a desperate grab for money, since the county has to cut the school so much. I do feel sorry for the county. they signed a legal document, just like you and I when we buy a house, we can not ask our mortgage company to tear up the terms and rewrite them because we do not like them? can we?
how do we solve this??? maybe va state assembly can void the contract? since chville is primary democratic and the county mostly republican and the assembly republican and the senate barely democratic, there is a chance.
maybe the city and county can get together and reach a compromise?
have an impartial panel formed to look at it? sort of abritation(sp)
thamks again for your comments

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albemarle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fatal Car Accident in Staunton (Jan '13) Nov '13 Augusta County 19
News VDOT Holds Hearing on Western Bypass Design Opt... (May '13) Sep '13 Im Ya Huckleberry 15
News Orange Woman Charged with Hit-and-Run in Albemarle (Jul '13) Jul '13 mista swim 4
News Albemarle Sheriff's Search & Rescue Locates Mis... (Jul '13) Jul '13 thanks 12
News VDOT Crews Working to Reopen Dick Woods Road (Jul '13) Jul '13 Tax Dollars at Work 1
News Deadline Nears for Albemarle Residents Waiting ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Crack Scooter 13
News W.R. Grace - Maybe The Most Valuable Bankrupt C... (Jun '13) Jun '13 mike crill 1
More from around the web