Seminole County weighs change in medical helicopter service

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

The description for item 9 on today's Seminole County Commission consent agenda sounds routine.
Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Jan 3, 2008
HiTlary in 08 NOT

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2007

Just spend that money on more $$ Million dollar bicycle bridges that nobody uses!!!!
Pigs feeding in an empty trough..........
Clark

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2007

You know.... If the county ever needs to have flights to tour the county after a disaster....They can always call on the USAF Auxiliary/Civil Air Patrol... They would NOT be charged any $1250/hour to do it either.... Probably done for free...

Just a thought... your tax dollars at work Seminole County...

Support your volunteers and they will support you...!
Dataperson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

The issue here is transportation of medical emergencies, not so much viewing the county after a disaster. CAP's own fact sheet says they will transport medical materials, like blood products or maybe donated organs, but not people.

HiTlary (real cute) probably never had a loved one hit by a drunk driver and need evacuation, assuming HiTlary has a loved one. That's the issue, people, do you want to let people die on the highway because ambulances can't get through or do you want air evac.

Gov is supposed to be about providing service. So HiTlary votes to line its pockets with a booming $240 a year in property tax relief in exchange for gambling on not being in an accident and needing this service. I'll take helicopter transport for $240 a year, Alex.

By the way this article is now out of date since the action taken at the meeting was to table till next more info available. Sure hope HiTlary gets hitleried in the interim, and we can tell it to transport its own self to the hospital. And don't bother suing us tax payers for not helping you, either, or we'll block the door to the emergency room.
hmmmm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

so why exactly is this necessary when the first company has been doing this for free for years? and what happened to the helicopter that they bought a few years back and outfitted? what a colossal waste of money. I see a kick back in someone's future...
David - Carson City NV

Carson City, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2007

Hard to believe. Seminole County purchased a used helicopter over ten years ago and had it retrofitted to provide the resident taxpayers with an air ambulance service. The machine sits inside a hangar at Larry Dale International rusting away. They could use the same fire fighting/paramedic crew that sits on their hands day after day at that inane airport to provide the taxpayers of the county with a viable service. I'm not even going to mention the ultra stupidity of waiting for the Medical Examiner to arrive from Daytona Beach to toe tag a body.
hmmm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2007

looks like someone has some inside info...
David - Carson City NV wrote:
Hard to believe. Seminole County purchased a used helicopter over ten years ago and had it retrofitted to provide the resident taxpayers with an air ambulance service. The machine sits inside a hangar at Larry Dale International rusting away. They could use the same fire fighting/paramedic crew that sits on their hands day after day at that inane airport to provide the taxpayers of the county with a viable service. I'm not even going to mention the ultra stupidity of waiting for the Medical Examiner to arrive from Daytona Beach to toe tag a body.
Concerned for the patient

Maitland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2007

Judged:

Lifenet has helicopters in Lake, Polk, and Osceola counties for back up and Lake is a short flight. They use newer more advanced aircraft. They run one of the best safest programs I have ever seen. The advantage of having a helicopter in the county of the incident rather than at a downtown hospital is a "no brainer". Patients in the downtown area can be ground transported faster and the time it take to get to the patient for transport is greatly reduced. The Nurse-Paramedic medical team performs more advanced medical procedures to save a life than its competition. Lifenets reputation brings them here and the competitions reputation is the main reason they should be replaced.
fly guy

Fort Mohave, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2007

Why would Seminole County want to pay pay $1250 an hour for air search and reconisense when the Civil Air Patrol can do it for less than half that amount and be able to focus more resources.
Concerned for the patient

Maitland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2008

All of you talking about the $1250/hour, that charge is only for specialized search and rescue. The normal patient flight would be billed to the patients insurance and not cost the county anything, to clarify.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Air Methods Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Seminole nixes an exclusive helicopter deal (Dec '07) Dec '07 AIR SCARE is its ... 1
Medical airlift deal coming up (Nov '07) Nov '07 Bob 7
West Point crew to help evacuate patients from ... (Aug '07) Aug '07 tom star 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Air Methods People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••