Mortgage shutdown hits 150 in Fort Wayne

Financially troubled American Home Mortgage Investment Corp. will close for good today, putting about 155 employees in Fort Wayne out of work, the Journal Gazette reports today. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Smoke

Perry, MI

#1 Aug 3, 2007
It really is a sad day in America.
LeftBhind

Collinsville, MS

#2 Aug 3, 2007
You mean, it is a sad day in BritneyLand, or if you prefer, FairTaxLand.

Who needs bridges and roads, or for that matter, things our country used to be good at, like banking and mortgage services, affordable health care, or efficient air travel systems, when we can have it all in front of our HD TVs, and the news these day is all-celebrity, all the time?

Is it to soon to say Bradbury was right on in Farenheit 411?

I don't think so.

Thank you for your attention.
Jeff in AZ

Phoenix, AZ

#3 Aug 3, 2007
I thought this was mexico.
Kyle

United States

#4 Aug 3, 2007
LeftBhind wrote:
I don't know? What did Bradury say in Farenheit 411?
Sad on LI

Astoria, NY

#5 Aug 3, 2007
Jeff in AZ wrote:
Too funny!
Adult World

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Aug 3, 2007
Is this the same company that bought out Waterfield Mortgage a few years ago and fired 800 workers.
Dennis_Daviess Co

Maroa, IL

#7 Aug 3, 2007
Jeff in AZ wrote:
I thought something was up. When you see more Mexicans living on a block than you do Americans, this should tell you something. Where is ICE when you need them the most. The group that I have living across the street from me takes baby goats and hangs them in the trees, cuts their throats while they are still alive and screaming. Then has the whole clan over for a cook out. It sounded like a bunch of kids screaming that day. Even tho the cops was called, there was nothing they could do about it. Before the day was over, I thought there was going to be a shooting, There sure was a lot of mad people around my house when that took place. On a Sunday afternoon no less. Washington, In is getting to be known as little Mexico. But we do have a Purdue plant in town. So they came here in droves. Not to mention all of the watermelons that are growing around this county. They've built their own stores and have Mexican restaurants everywhere here now. I wish we could get a fleet of semi trucks together and have a convoy back to the Mexican border. This town alone could fill 150 trucks easy.
What

Springfield, AR

#8 Aug 3, 2007
LeftBhind wrote:
You mean, it is a sad day in BritneyLand, or if you prefer, FairTaxLand.
Who needs bridges and roads, or for that matter, things our country used to be good at, like banking and mortgage services, affordable health care, or efficient air travel systems, when we can have it all in front of our HD TVs, and the news these day is all-celebrity, all the time?
I don't think so.
Thank you for your attention.
So wait, is it the Government's job to handle banking? Or is it the news? Are you implying that the fairtax supporters destroyed the secondary mortgage market, or do you have something against HDTV?
Your rant is illogical, emotion based, and ill informed. Typical liberal positions. Carry on.
Langamer

Girard, OH

#9 Aug 3, 2007
Here is a concept...quit buying more than you(America...) can afford.
Rice and Beaners

Grand Prairie, TX

#10 Aug 3, 2007
Dennis_Daviess Co wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought something was up. When you see more Mexicans living on a block than you do Americans, this should tell you something. Where is ICE when you need them the most. The group that I have living across the street from me takes baby goats and hangs them in the trees, cuts their throats while they are still alive and screaming. Then has the whole clan over for a cook out. It sounded like a bunch of kids screaming that day. Even tho the cops was called, there was nothing they could do about it. Before the day was over, I thought there was going to be a shooting, There sure was a lot of mad people around my house when that took place. On a Sunday afternoon no less. Washington, In is getting to be known as little Mexico. But we do have a Purdue plant in town. So they came here in droves. Not to mention all of the watermelons that are growing around this county. They've built their own stores and have Mexican restaurants everywhere here now. I wish we could get a fleet of semi trucks together and have a convoy back to the Mexican border. This town alone could fill 150 trucks easy.
Get over it, it is not going to change. And, careful there, you are starting to show from behind your sheet.
Gost is mighty tasty, you should try it! If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!
Tim

Los Angeles, CA

#11 Aug 3, 2007
Dennis_Daviess Co wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see, you're upset that you're neighbors had a cookout and didn't invite you? You don't like that they prepared fresh meat (I can understand that one -- I'd rather have it aged)?

Then, there was ALMOST a shooting? What does that even mean?? Somebody tried to fire, but the safety was on? How do you ALMOST have a shooting?

Furthermore, it was on a Sunday afternoon. What's your point? You prefer that they have family over on weekdays?

Are you also suggesting that we eradicate each Little Italy, Chinatown, Germantown, and other ethnic areas of towns from from cities because they contain more foreign residents than "American?" What is American anyway? Native Americans?

Or, is this isolated to the nationality that you do not like?

Your post ALMOST had a point.
Think Again

Greenwood, IN

#12 Aug 3, 2007
Langamer wrote:
Here is a concept...quit buying more than you(America...) can afford.
Well said. Applying this simple concept would reduce or solve a huge nmber of significant issues America currently faces.
Red White and Blue

Newark, OH

#13 Aug 3, 2007
Tim
Los Angeles, CA

Your location fully explains the leftist nature of your post....make
room for one more in the semi...Tim's
leaving the US
blah

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Aug 3, 2007
Now both borrowers and lenders will face the results of all the irresponsible lending done over the past 5 years. Although borrowers should not buy what they cannot afford the lending industry was pushing some predatory products. End result: everybody suffers.
John Galt

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Aug 3, 2007
Watched the documentary "Maxed Out" yesterday about America's credit situation. I understand the crisis of stretching your debt out way to far and many American's inability to restrain from the lure of easy debt/credit. However, this simply comes down to living within your means in 9 out of 10 cases. Yes, layoffs and downturns in the economy have an impact, but more often then not it is bad personal fiscal habits that lead to foreclosures, overspending, and bankruptcy. In this case, the downfall of a mortgage company. To couple in the fact that large banks basically gamble on people's bad debts adds to the situation and elevates interest owed to a level unsustainable by many people. Quite simple though: don't succumb to predatory lending, high interest, cash advances, and bogus credit. It is trouble. Live within your means, not through debt and we wont see an entire industry being crushed.
Duh

Collinsville, MS

#16 Aug 3, 2007
Then move.
Dennis_Daviess Co wrote:
<quoted text>
Tim

United States

#17 Aug 3, 2007
Red White and Blue wrote:
Tim
Los Angeles, CA
Your location fully explains the leftist nature of your post....make
room for one more in the semi...Tim's
leaving the US
While I fully understand that it is the Hoosier way to abhor anything they do not know and to fear crossing any border, including state lines, the other day I got on this big chunk of metal with wings called an airplane. It flies!! I know, seriously, it's hard to believe, but it's true! It's truly amazing what these 20th century inventions can accomplish.

In fact, I'm still in California today, but my ISP will probably show as Indianapolis. It's another fascinating innovation and this one is attributed to an Indianapolis company with a remote office in southern California.

But alas, today I'll be getting on another one of those fandangled contraptions, leaving the 21st century, and returning home to the small 19th century minds of Indiana.
Paula

Plain City, OH

#18 Aug 3, 2007
The additional story is what about the buyers and sellers, Title companies, realtors, appliance stores, carpet companies, furniture stores,Landlords, ETC. that were affected when they had NO MONEY to Close their commitments this week?
blah

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Aug 3, 2007
Tim wrote:
<quoted text>
While I fully understand that it is the Hoosier way to abhor anything they do not know and to fear crossing any border, including state lines, the other day I got on this big chunk of metal with wings called an airplane. It flies!! I know, seriously, it's hard to believe, but it's true! It's truly amazing what these 20th century inventions can accomplish.
In fact, I'm still in California today, but my ISP will probably show as Indianapolis. It's another fascinating innovation and this one is attributed to an Indianapolis company with a remote office in southern California.
But alas, today I'll be getting on another one of those fandangled contraptions, leaving the 21st century, and returning home to the small 19th century minds of Indiana.
This is just insulting... which is why it is funny.
Truth Seeker

Milwaukee, WI

#20 Aug 3, 2007
FYI, AHM failed to issue over a billion dollars in loans this week.

Also, since the Star won't compile what's happening to give you an accurate picture, I'll do it for them:

"July 31 (Bloomberg)-- On Wall Street, Bear Stearns Cos., Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc., Merrill Lynch & Co. and Goldman Sachs Group Inc., are as good as junk."
http://mparent7777-2.blogspot.com/2007/07/bea...

"At the beginning of the summer, Sowood Capital was a $3 billion hedge fund run by a money manager who hailed from the team that built Harvardís endowment into the $30 billion giant that it is today.

Yesterday, Sowood sent out a letter to investors indicating that heavy losses in the credit market had caused the fund to lose more than half its value, prompting it to sell its portfolio to another hedge fund and return the remaining $1.5 billion to investors."
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/31/business/31...

"Dollar drops sharply vs yen in Asia on worries over U.S. housing loans"
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/08/01/bus...

"U.S. Foreclosure Filings Surge"
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/07/30/ap3...

"U.S. automakers market share lowest ever"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070801/ap_on_bi_...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

American Home Mortgage Holdings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Help for jobless American Home Mortgage workers - (Aug '07) Oct '14 Mia 10
Class Action Suit filed against American Home M... (Aug '07) Sep '14 Chunchuna 349
House Judiciary Subcommittee on Regulatory Refo... Aug '14 S Forman 4
American Home Mortgage chief Michael Strauss ta... (Aug '07) Aug '14 Alice Broadhurst 40
American Home Mortgage chief Michael Strauss ta... (Aug '07) Jan '13 Former Direct Rep... 44
Woman fights American Home Mortgage in court - (Nov '07) Oct '12 libertyreverse 85
insurance check endorsement by AHMSI (May '12) May '12 alex 1
More from around the web