AEP gives $120,000 to benefit arts ed...

AEP gives $120,000 to benefit arts education | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 24 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from May 18, 2011, titled AEP gives $120,000 to benefit arts education | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

A $120,000 grant from American Electric Power will restore funding to arts-education programs in central Ohio.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Seriously

United States

#21 May 18, 2011
realist13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course art costs money. And the AEP Foundation is perfectly and 100% within its rights to decide to pay for it FOR YOU and many other central Ohio kids and families. The company makes profits, most of those profits go to bloated CEO salaries and shareholders and rich investors, a small amount are diverted to the AEP Foundation, and from there a small amount are used to fund the arts. This angers you? Really? Seriously??
The AEP website says that last year $11.6 million in their 11-state service area. Most of it went to education, with smaller amounts going to hunger and housing, safety and health, community, youth, the environment, and arts and culture. They gave $200k to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Ohio for a mentoring program.$50k to Capital University for science equipment.$500k to COSI for an energy exhibition.$83k to Ohio University for watershed restoration.$25k to Van Wert hospitals for an emergency services expansion. And so on and so forth. So "your money" from "your AEP bill" was leveraged to help make COSI better, and keep Capital's tuition lower, and keep Van Wert people safe, and fix OU's environment, and offer mentoring to little kids.

Read their whole report here -- it's not that long:
http://www.aep.com/citizenship/aepfoundation/...
I'm genuinely baffled by your response. I have no problem at all with AEP grant to GCAC. My complaint is with people who don't want government money to support arts programming and also complain when the private sector steps up. You're correct to point out that the AEP foundation is separate from the corporation, but beyond that we seem to be on the same side...
Penny

Naperville, IL

#22 May 18, 2011
And,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,our electric bills go up yet again. What is this world coming to.
jen2u2

Columbus, OH

#23 May 18, 2011
You can go somewhere else and pay higher rates if you don't like AEP, or simply quit using electricity. Get out the lanterns and flashlights. It is funny when there is an outage how much you appreciate AEP. Quit whining people.
mas

Mansfield, OH

#24 May 20, 2011
It's great that AEP stepped up to help out their community when the need was shown. Better than putting it in the pockets of the CEOs! Thanks AEP!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

American Electric Power Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pioneer Investments Adds to Stakes in Hartford ... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Connie lake luzer... 1
www.solarsteampower.com the most annoying dumb ... (Sep '15) Sep '15 This will make yo... 1
News Clean power plan could result in less coal use;... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Solar miner 09er 1
News Utilities feel burned by solar-energy users (Nov '14) Nov '14 Solarman 36
News Utility bills more costly in wake of polar vortex (Feb '14) Feb '14 Jerry K 27
News Logan teen charged in AEP transformer vandalism (Nov '09) Feb '14 Love AEP 41
News AEP outage information now available online (Dec '13) Dec '13 RUTH LOWE 1
More from around the web