Court faults PUCO on AEP's rates

Full story: DispatchPolitics

The law: In 2008, Gov. Ted Strickland signed Senate Bill 221, a law designed to respond to perceived shortcomings in Ohio's deregulated electricity market.
Comments
1 - 20 of 29 Comments Last updated Apr 20, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Feb 11

Hayfield, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Judged:

PUCO (Puke-o is more like it) has been AEP's lap dog/yes man & all the other unilities for

years. Nothing will change except to shift some of management around & then it will be

business as usual....take as much as you can from the customers with some bribes for

PUCO staff. Greed & dishonesty is the business way.
Teacher with no raise

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Judged:

Cut PUCOs money, they screwed up and do not deserve a "merit pay" raise.
ramseyjames

Jackson, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Judged:

The PUCO is a bunch of political appointees that are absolutely WORTHLES! They are not, and never will be, an advocate for the consumer. The PUCO we currently have should be paid by the utilities, because that is who they have been working for! Now this nut we have pretending to be a governor wants to cut the budget of the Office of the Ohio Consumers' Counsel by 51 percent, anyone out there wonder why! The consumer may have won, but AEP gets to KEEP the $63 million rip-off, and others, they got away with, so this republican court, which almost never rules against the puco, new it wouldn't cost aep any money! WHAT A JOKE!
FoShizzle

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Judged:

"The Dispatch attempted to contact the PUCO employee responsible for the error, but he was out of town at his new vacation condo in the Virgin Islands..."
FoShizzle

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Judged:

ramseyjames wrote:
The PUCO is a bunch of political appointees that are absolutely WORTHLES! They are not, and never will be, an advocate for the consumer. The PUCO we currently have should be paid by the utilities, because that is who they have been working for! Now this nut we have pretending to be a governor wants to cut the budget of the Office of the Ohio Consumers' Counsel by 51 percent, anyone out there wonder why! The consumer may have won, but AEP gets to KEEP the $63 million rip-off, and others, they got away with, so this republican court, which almost never rules against the puco, new it wouldn't cost aep any money! WHAT A JOKE!
You're right. Let's just get rid of the PUCO and stop all this government interfering with corporations like AEP to set rates. Corporations know best, so let's let them decide. I'm sure Governor K would agree.

(BTW, PUCO's cost is included in your electric rates)
mckeestown

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Judged:

I had a bill for $286.00 for one month. At that time my adverage usage was around $28. Just that one month was it out of line. I contacted DP&L and was told "You used it, you pay for it or we will shut you off,"
I contacted the PUCO. They forwarded my complaint letter to the same guy at DP&L. He sent me a letter saying the same thing "You used it, you pay for it."
I sent the PUCO a copy of the letter, they forwarded it to the same guy.
I didn't use it but I paid for it!
Utopian

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Judged:

mckeestown wrote:
I had a bill for $286.00 for one month. At that time my adverage usage was around $28. Just that one month was it out of line. I contacted DP&L and was told "You used it, you pay for it or we will shut you off,"
I contacted the PUCO. They forwarded my complaint letter to the same guy at DP&L. He sent me a letter saying the same thing "You used it, you pay for it."
You should have contacted the Ohio Consumers' Counsel. They're specifically designated to ADVOCATE FOR CONSUMERS and that office is set up to handle the very type of dispute you described. Why Kasich's cutting the OCC's budget is beyond reason, especially since the OCC is not paid from the General Revenue Fund. Says a lot about who Kasich and the PUCO are beholden to.
I Know

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Judged:

So potentially $850 million dollars that consumers were overcharged by AEP, yet Kasich wants to cut the budget of the agency that protects consumers for such overcharges. Hmm wonder who's side he is on?
TV MAN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Judged:

Guess which one is Obama?

Obama sings the Big Sweet Blues:::::::

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
lazy s

Portsmouth, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Judged:

Is it OK to over-charge, take our money and build a bandstand down town ?
AMC

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Judged:

want to talk about over pay people all my sister in law does all day is write email I know there a private compamy but don't talk about other people
History major

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Judged:

ramseyjames wrote:
The PUCO is funded by the utilities - well, really you and I as the utilities' customers. The Ohio Consumers Counsel also is funded by fees on the utilities. This is why cutting their budget makes no sense. It does nothing to help close Ohio's budget deficit and only costs us, the utility customers, a dollar or so per year on our rates. All it does is reduce the OCC's ability to stand up for Ohio citizens and businesses who have to pay higher and higher rates for utility services.
Whatever

Delaware, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Judged:

HUH???
Trickery observed

Marengo, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Judged:

This business about fail-safe laws to protect the big boys is bunk. The utility law disallows prior increases, even when the increase was determined to be unjustified by the Court. Compare this to the approach of SB5. Kasich contends that SB5 allows collective bargaining, but it's not bargaining when the gov't agency has the final word, no matter what. No wonder Kasich wants to bring the Ohio Consumers Council to its knees. That's the only thing standing between corporate interests and citizens being swindled.

Since: Jun 10

Canal Winchester, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Judged:

Of course AEP needs to refund overcharges.
It has been increasingly obvious for years that the PUCO is in bed with the utilities it is supposed to be regulating.
On top of that, these recent rulings demonstrate that PUCO cannot be trusted to represent the Ohio consumer's needs.
Look at AEP: when Ohio has storms, AEP leads the way in utility outages. Not just in numbers (they’re big), but in percentages of customers. Where was PUCO in seeing that utility responsibilities were met? Who sees that the rules are fair, reasonable and equitable? PUCO? I think not.
I've lived in several states and in other places in Ohio. I find the utilities to be in the position to control the customer, and even abuse them.(Yeah, they do that! Try calling some of them out on a mistake on their part.)
The Ohio Consumer Council is the only real agency which is protecting the consumer's interests. The action of our governor to slash the budget of OCC is an action against the Ohio consumers. Note that cuts of the OCC budget will not reduce the budget deficit. The utilities should applaud the governor for helping them out.
Merge OCC with PUCO and what do you have? Eventually, just PUCO.
This attack on OCC would severely reduce it's capacity to defend the Ohio consumer. Big business has the governor's ear, but what about consumers?

Since: Jun 10

Canal Winchester, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Judged:

mckeestown wrote:
Dayton pulled the same stunt on me back in 2003. They read the meter two weeks early when I bought my house in Troy. They said they couldn't find anything on the voice log when I complained, even though they had the date and time of the call. You'd think they would have to agree that the date of the closing on the house would have meant something. They could still have gone back to the previous owner with the reading I had. PUCO rolled over for Dayton Power when I complained. PUCO won't get my support, nor will Dayton Power.
Deregulation farce

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Judged:

"Under Ohio's utility deregulation, customers have the right to buy electricity service from alternative providers...However...few choices are available."

CORRECTION: There are NO choices available for AEP customers (and most others).

http://www.puco.ohio.gov/puco/index.cfm/apple...

Electricity deregulation was a farce, a joke, a sham, a scam and a complete waste of A LOT of time and money for everyone involved. Ask anyone who actually knows something about electric utilities.

Where are the huge savings that the "consumer advocates" promised? They don't exist, because they could not exist, because it was an impossible, false promise from the word go.

Remember this the next time consumer advocates and big government promise you something for nothing.(See: "healthcare")

Since: Sep 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Judged:

Funny, if I were over charged at the store, I would return and get my money back. But here you can be over charged but they get to keep the money.
North Campus

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Judged:

ramseyjames wrote:
Yes. In this case, they were the Democrat appointees of former Governor Ted Strickland.
North Campus

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2011

Judged:

Grove City J wrote:
Funny, if I were over charged at the store, I would return and get my money back. But here you can be over charged but they get to keep the money.
Utilities are highly regulated. Perhaps their partnership with government has changed them so they act more like the government and less like a business. This is not an argument to deregulate utilities. This is an explanation for why they don't feel a need to earn your business. They're typically the only business option available and you're forced to buy from them. In that way, utility rates are like tax rates.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent American Electric Power Discussions

Search the American Electric Power Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Utility bills more costly in wake of polar vortex Feb '14 Jerry K 27
Logan teen charged in AEP transformer vandalism (Nov '09) Feb '14 Love AEP 41
AEP outage information now available online (Dec '13) Dec '13 RUTH LOWE 1
Petrochemical challenges lead to opportunities ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Dan Toms 1
Europe, Africa and America are key to oil and g... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Dan Toms 1
AEP Top-up card info. (Aug '13) Aug '13 amy ai 1
How can refineries ensure survival? (Jul '13) Jul '13 Dan Toms 1
•••
•••