City Could Pull Plug On Electricity O...

City Could Pull Plug On Electricity Operation | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News

There are 154 comments on the 10TV WBNS story from Mar 24, 2011, titled City Could Pull Plug On Electricity Operation | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News. In it, 10TV WBNS reports that:

The money made also pays for the cost of lighting city streets, but the plug could be pulled on the department and its 13,000 customers, 10 Investigates' Paul Aker reported on Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 10TV WBNS.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Antagonist

Newark, OH

#144 Mar 31, 2011
Formerly Employed wrote:
During my many years as an employee of the City of Columbus, I have seen countless ways that the City wastes money. The fact that Director of Public Utilities Tanya Arsh is considering selling off the only money making division of Public Utilities is not a big surprise. In true fashion for the Department of Public Utilities, the cost of street lights will ultimately be passed along to the citizens to pay for. Break out your wallets folks! They've raised the Water & Sewer rates already, now it's time they charge us for lighting the streets! Due to the amount of crime, we'll need the street lights to see who is shooting and robbing us.
So who exactly would you think would be paying for all this, other than the taxpayers and residents?
Duff

Columbus, OH

#145 Mar 31, 2011
Antagonist wrote:
<quoted text>
So who exactly would you think would be paying for all this, other than the taxpayers and residents?
Power's customers and ratepayers. It's been a winning formula for over 100 years. Why should taxpayers be asked to bear this expense?
obiwan

Columbus, OH

#146 Apr 1, 2011
This just scratches the surface of what is actually happening. This woman has 2 Deputy directors and 6 assistant directors and is adding another assistant very soon. What does SHE actually do???
I dare someone to investigate how much money she spends on CONSULTANTS in a years time. It would blow your mind!!
The media always looks at frontline workers for wasting City time and money. The REAL waste comes from the TOP. GET A CLUE!!
And, yes, I know this first hand.
Antagonist

Newark, OH

#147 Apr 2, 2011
Duff wrote:
<quoted text>
Power's customers and ratepayers. It's been a winning formula for over 100 years. Why should taxpayers be asked to bear this expense?
I was including the customers and rate payers under "residents".
shark

Lewis Center, OH

#148 Apr 2, 2011
I'm sure the consultant firms she uses is from where she was employed before she worked for the city, and her staff probably worked there also, they are like the key stone cops.HELLO HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM.
concerned

United States

#149 Apr 3, 2011
Everyone wonders why someone with a background with a comunist back ground would effect the operations of a city operation well here is a classic example she knows how to run something that is a monopoly but can not and refuses to learn how to run a competitive business like the Division of electric so her option is to get rid of it no matter what it cost the tax payer so for a person that is appointed by your mayor is suppose to work for the public it sounds like she is working for her own intrest rather than what is best for the public.
Sofaking

Galloway, OH

#150 Apr 6, 2011
brian wrote:
The Div. of Electricity is not making any money. You know it and I know it. They get most of there money from the Div. of Water after Electric and Water merged and became Power and Water. How about all that new equipment and vehicles purchased by the Div. of Electricity after the merge with Div. of Water?
I agree!

They cannot keep up maintenance on the junk circuits. Does the Old O'Shaughnessy dam at the zoo generate electric?(not often)

They are making money? That's new, I thought only certain people were allowed to make it.

This is an old. old topic. 10+ years ago same topic New names talking about it. Yes, I think water kept them a float.

I know Sofaking what?
Realist

Zanesville, OH

#151 Apr 7, 2011
Antagonist wrote:
<quoted text>
I was including the customers and rate payers under "residents".
What's the difference between a ratepayer or customer or citizen? Stop trying to make sense.

This video is the funniest thing I've seen in a while. I laughed my as s off.

Vice citizen wrote:
More union News

http://www.battlefield315.com/2011/02/teacher...

Very accurate !
notsosmart

Reynoldsburg, OH

#152 Apr 11, 2011
if it makes a profit,leave it alone, you politicians are an arrogant bunch of idiots,anything to put a buck in your pocket and pass the higher costs to the consumer, Pitiful, there is nothing wrong with the city grid ,especially after putting millions into it over the last 10 years, now some "Moron" thinks it will be wise to turn over the taxpayers investment over to AEP and PAY additional monies,(raked from the taxpayers again ) to power the street lights, If it was'nt so pathetic it would play out like a monty python comedy, Lets see, Pay millions to bring the cities grid up to snuff,to run the cities street lights as a bonus ,only to sell all this newely updated infrastructure to a huge power company (more than likley at a HUGE loss to city taxpayers,only to give up the benifit of having the street lights payed for from city power profits,YES PROFITS, only to begin wondering how to shake the taxpayers down to pay for sonthing that is already 1.working,2profitable,3newley updated, Lets get rid of deadbeat people in our local govt like ms. arsh. she thinks like a globalist banker, and there is precious little time to make changes and save our city,and keep it cost efficient.
oh well

Reynoldsburg, OH

#153 Apr 13, 2011
brian wrote:
Pull the plug on Div. of Electricity Mrs. Arsh. The Div. of Electricity is not making any money. You know it and I know it. They get most of there money from the Div. of Water after Electric and Water merged and became Power and Water. How about all that new equipment and vehicles purchased by the Div. of Electricity after the merge with Div. of Water?
I bet we can all guess where you work you just keep on being a yes man. I guess if you would quit being such an a@@ kisser and actually looked at the facts you would know that yes the Division of Electricity has had to ask for money but is was because it had to pay for the trash burning power plant had the neighbors not complained then the city would have gotten rid of trash as well as generated electricity. But i guess you know everything
Realist

United States

#154 Apr 15, 2011
They tried to get AEP to by the electric division back whe the big lose cash burner was still sitting there idle. I talk to the engineer who met with them and her just laughed about the idiots running the place. They didn't have a clue as to how worthless the cash burning power plant was at all. There are a bunch of sheeniuses. lol
Dumbarsh

Columbus, OH

#155 Apr 16, 2011
Realist wrote:
They tried to get AEP to by the electric division back whe the big lose cash burner was still sitting there idle. I talk to the engineer who met with them and her just laughed about the idiots running the place. They didn't have a clue as to how worthless the cash burning power plant was at all. There are a bunch of sheeniuses. lol
Have another one dude! While you're at it, make it a double. Your flashback to ancient history might become more credible?
gnull

Columbus, OH

#156 Apr 17, 2011
put up a new trash burning power plant i shut down the other 1 u brainless people use tires to make new roads and shut down the land fill thats a money pit
Bexley Ohio

United States

#157 Jul 8, 2012
danzig wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah and from what I can tell comparing delivery costs, Columbus's electric costs are a lot lower than AEP's.
Yet another reason losing Columbus Division of Electricity would be a huge loss.
YOU'D BE SURPRISED HOW LOW YOUR ELECTRIC SERVICE COSTS WHEN
> your power company doesn't spend millions on self promoting marketing campaigns.(yes, those AEP tv commercials are fixed into your AEP bill)
> your electric co is centralized and only provides power to people in well developed, highly accessable, urban areas (mostly devoid of huge trees)... the same areas that don't take 2 weeks to repair when a power outage occurs. Sprawl is expensive in more ways than just tanks of gas.
> your power company doesn't
A. occupy a high rise building in downtown Columbus.
or
B. employ thousands of people with legacy costs.
Here we are in the Heat Wave of July 2012 and the Columbus Ohio complaints about AEP appear to be the same old same old.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

American Electric Power Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pioneer Investments Adds to Stakes in Hartford ... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Connie lake luzer... 1
www.solarsteampower.com the most annoying dumb ... (Sep '15) Sep '15 This will make yo... 1
News Clean power plan could result in less coal use;... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Solar miner 09er 1
News Utilities feel burned by solar-energy users (Nov '14) Nov '14 Solarman 36
News Utility bills more costly in wake of polar vortex (Feb '14) Feb '14 Jerry K 27
News Logan teen charged in AEP transformer vandalism (Nov '09) Feb '14 Love AEP 41
News AEP outage information now available online (Dec '13) Dec '13 RUTH LOWE 1
More from around the web