City Could Pull Plug On Electricity O...

City Could Pull Plug On Electricity Operation | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News

There are 154 comments on the 10TV WBNS story from Mar 24, 2011, titled City Could Pull Plug On Electricity Operation | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News. In it, 10TV WBNS reports that:

The money made also pays for the cost of lighting city streets, but the plug could be pulled on the department and its 13,000 customers, 10 Investigates' Paul Aker reported on Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 10TV WBNS.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
instine

United States

#1 Mar 24, 2011
dont let ksucker near it he sells any thing that makes money to one of his wall street freinds.
jus me

Hilliard, OH

#2 Mar 24, 2011
Well if it MAKES money,no brainer sell
Tired of Columbus crap

Columbus, OH

#3 Mar 24, 2011
If this is costing the city of Columbus no money and it's turning a profit of $6 million in the general fund would somone please explain to me why we would even consider at this time stopping? City Utilities Director Tanya Arsh said "she doesn't think" this current model will last but is willing to spend about $100,000 to find out. What the heck....?
Wayne

Portsmouth, OH

#4 Mar 24, 2011
If you know the problem is the model Director Arsh, why not fix the model. If you have a flat tire you don't sell the car. You fix the tire.

I beleive if you look at the 100 year history of the power division and its contributions to the community.( free street lights & revenue for the city ) you can not afford to sell. Does our Mayor support this sale?
The Truth

Columbus, OH

#5 Mar 24, 2011
Tired of Columbus crap wrote:
If this is costing the city of Columbus no money and it's turning a profit of $6 million in the general fund would somone please explain to me why we would even consider at this time stopping? City Utilities Director Tanya Arsh said "she doesn't think" this current model will last but is willing to spend about $100,000 to find out. What the heck....?
I agree...if it is making money then keep it! Wait until it's not making money or losing money then spend $100K to study the situation. This just shows the ignorance of coleman & his crew. After they sell it watch out for a tax increase to pay for the street lights that are being paid for now by the PROFIT on reselling the power now. I'm sure the dumocrats on city council are for this plan!
AC Howard

Lancaster, OH

#6 Mar 24, 2011
why do you need to find finances to pay for street lights when the system generates enough money to put about $6 million in the general fund and pay for all of the city's street lights now.
danny

Columbus, OH

#7 Mar 24, 2011
Didnt we already say we didnt want a fee (tax) for trash pickup and now something that pays for it self we get rid of
JMD

Columbus, OH

#8 Mar 24, 2011
Of course the City Of Columbus has to sell the Division off. It is the only thing Columbus has that really works. We can't have that, that would make everything else in Columbus look bad....LOL
Jim-Jim

Lancaster, OH

#10 Mar 24, 2011
Make an improvement! sell Tanya Arsh.
ohms law

Portsmouth, OH

#11 Mar 24, 2011
Who hired this woman?
Frank Burns

Columbus, OH

#12 Mar 24, 2011
instine wrote:
dont let ksucker near it he sells any thing that makes money to one of his wall street freinds.
You really are ignorant. This has nothing to do with Wall Street. Get over your bitterness already and get a life. You might want to invest some time in spelling lessons.
Taxpayer

Columbus, OH

#13 Mar 24, 2011
Typical politics looking after the good of the tax payers, give up $6 million in profits to the city, put people out of work who pay taxes, pay for a $100,000 study to find out how we can get Columbus residents to pay for street lighting that costs $12 million a year to provide. Rates may go up? What happens when AEP is the only game in town?
Code

Columbus, OH

#14 Mar 24, 2011
Selling something that is making a large net profit to turn around and have to pay AEP is assanine. I wonder who's pockets are being lined by AEP to sell it to them?
Balls Deep

Grove City, OH

#15 Mar 24, 2011
Disgusting.
wilco

Columbus, OH

#16 Mar 24, 2011
The City should keep its power facility since it supports reliable street lights.. They have been much more reliable than AEP during storms. I have lost power more than half a dozen times over the last 10 years. Three of them lasted days and caused me to loose 3 freezers of frozen foods and the contents of my refrigerators as well as having to survive the cold or heat since those appliances did not have power. We have never lost the street lights due to a storm. Only time the street light was out was when a bulb burnt out. The City fixed it the next day. Columbus hold on to what you have...
concerned citizen

Springfield, OH

#17 Mar 24, 2011
Selling this profitable enterprise makes no sense. I've heard this Electric Division which contributes $6 million to the general fund spends an additional $18-20 million annually on street lighting. If this money maker is sold, guess who pays for the lighting? You and me, the taxpayer.
Rob

Columbus, OH

#18 Mar 24, 2011
typical politics...spend money on things that fail and stop funding the few successful ventures. mere commoners like us could never grasp the concept, so just accept what they say without question....and get out your wallet.
OldMan

Mansfield, OH

#19 Mar 24, 2011
Wow ... Tanya Arsh must be a political appointee. She's gonna kill the goose that lays the golden eggs! She has an operation that provides a reliable service and it actually makes a profit. If the wholesale cost she's paying for power goes up - will all the other power companies' costs not go up as well? There are a lot of natural gas companies making money using the same model Tanya Arsh is worried about. The gas companies are nothing more than middlemen buying their product at wholesale cost and selling it for a profit. In central Ohio, Columbia Natural Gas provides the delivery service - just as Columbus Division of Power and Water does with electric power.
Why Not

Columbus, OH

#21 Mar 24, 2011
Who needs a success story? If the city makes money on it's power, how can they cry poverty at tax hike time? Who needs that 6 million anyway? They can just suck it out of US!
dumb founded

Columbus, OH

#22 Mar 24, 2011
cant believe mayor coleman and his crew are thinking about doing this. isnt he up for electing this year and he wants to put another tax on columbus to pay for street lights when they are free now. somebody needs to fire that woman. imagine AEP rates if they have a monopoly on columbus.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

American Electric Power Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pioneer Investments Adds to Stakes in Hartford ... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Connie lake luzer... 1
www.solarsteampower.com the most annoying dumb ... (Sep '15) Sep '15 This will make yo... 1
News Clean power plan could result in less coal use;... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Solar miner 09er 1
News Utilities feel burned by solar-energy users (Nov '14) Nov '14 Solarman 36
News Utility bills more costly in wake of polar vortex (Feb '14) Feb '14 Jerry K 27
News Logan teen charged in AEP transformer vandalism (Nov '09) Feb '14 Love AEP 41
News AEP outage information now available online (Dec '13) Dec '13 RUTH LOWE 1
More from around the web