Ice Storm Leaves Thousands Without Power | Ohio News Network (ONN)

Full story: 10TV WBNS 10
An ice storm that moved through Ohio has left hundreds of thousands of power customers in the dark and has closed schools in many of the state's largest districts. Full Story
Linda Bundy

Columbus, OH

#1 Feb 2, 2011
How do we find out about any nearby shelters if we cannot stay in our home?
Guido

Columbus, OH

#2 Feb 2, 2011
Linda Bundy wrote:
How do we find out about any nearby shelters if we cannot stay in our home?
Go to a hotel unless you want to up your chances of bed bugs, molestation, or smelly people
JoeyG

Westerville, OH

#3 Feb 2, 2011
It is sad that AEP is given a virtual monopoly on electricity transmission in this area and are supposed to be responsible for reliability. With the BILLIONS of dollars in profit they make every year and rising utility costs, they do not invest in a project(s) to bury existing overhead power lines.
Temperatures are falling to sub-freezing levels and customers are suffering power outages that AEP said could last 4 to 6 days. Burying the lines is not fool proof but adds a great deal to reliability to the grid. This is a matter of public safety. However, AEP would rather pocket the money and tell people they are on their own for the next several days.
OSU

Columbus, OH

#4 Feb 2, 2011
JoeyG wrote:
It is sad that AEP is given a virtual monopoly on electricity transmission in this area and are supposed to be responsible for reliability. With the BILLIONS of dollars in profit they make every year and rising utility costs, they do not invest in a project(s) to bury existing overhead power lines.
Temperatures are falling to sub-freezing levels and customers are suffering power outages that AEP said could last 4 to 6 days. Burying the lines is not fool proof but adds a great deal to reliability to the grid. This is a matter of public safety. However, AEP would rather pocket the money and tell people they are on their own for the next several days.
Oh wow! I have been searching for some type of timeline as to when they may possibly have areas back up and running. I have found nothing. You heard 4 to 6 days???
Fredericktown Ohio

Wooster, OH

#5 Feb 2, 2011
Talked to AEP on the phone, they stated 4pm on Friday.
JoeyG

Westerville, OH

#6 Feb 2, 2011
OSU wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh wow! I have been searching for some type of timeline as to when they may possibly have areas back up and running. I have found nothing. You heard 4 to 6 days???
http://www2.nbc4i.com/weather/2011/feb/02/2/p...

Here is the quote from the story,"An AEP spokesperson told NBC4 it would be a difficult restoration process that could take four to six days total."
Really

Columbus, OH

#7 Feb 2, 2011
Yup. No power at home and boy it is gonna get chilly!
Andrew

Columbus, OH

#8 Feb 2, 2011
For $299 we have a generator running all the important stuff in our house...even the furnace blower. It's cozy & warm and my neighbor and I are taking turns buying gas (about 8 gallons every 24 hours). Why anyone would not have this little piece insurance amazes me. Stay safe everyone.
Elaine

Naperville, IL

#9 Feb 2, 2011
I agree with the rants about AEP. Record profits but no money to invest in improving the infrastructure.

For a storm that has been predicted for days, 4-6 days to restore power is totally unacceptable. Who will make AEP responsible for losses incurred, spoiled food, lodging, etc.? Seriously, is there a politician who would help us stand up to this nonsense?
JoeyG

Westerville, OH

#10 Feb 2, 2011
Elaine wrote:
I agree with the rants about AEP. Record profits but no money to invest in improving the infrastructure.
For a storm that has been predicted for days, 4-6 days to restore power is totally unacceptable. Who will make AEP responsible for losses incurred, spoiled food, lodging, etc.? Seriously, is there a politician who would help us stand up to this nonsense?
I doubt it. With the utility companies spending 10's of millions of dollars on lobbyists and "creative" accountants. They have purchased quite a bit of political influence with the legislature and perhaps even our crack utility regulators at the PUCO.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

American Electric Power Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Utilities feel burned by solar-energy users Nov '14 Solarman 36
Utility bills more costly in wake of polar vortex (Feb '14) Feb '14 Jerry K 27
Logan teen charged in AEP transformer vandalism (Nov '09) Feb '14 Love AEP 41
AEP outage information now available online (Dec '13) Dec '13 RUTH LOWE 1
Petrochemical challenges lead to opportunities ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Dan Toms 1
Europe, Africa and America are key to oil and g... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Dan Toms 1
AEP Top-up card info. (Aug '13) Aug '13 amy ai 1
More from around the web