Report: AEP and Louisiana utility Entergy are talking merger | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

A trade publication is reporting that American Electric Power is in preliminary merger talks with Entergy Corp., a Louisiana-based utility.
Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated May 16, 2011
how will it affect me

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2011

Judged:

The big get bigger.

Thankfully we'll have a consumers counsel to look at for us little people (11 million of us in Ohio) and ensure that this won't hurt us.

Oops!! Sorry, I forgot, King Kasich wants to shut them down and statehouse republicans don't want them to open their mouth on behalf of consumers!!

Don't worry, I get to save about 90 cents a year with this reform!! Awesome!!!!

We're all screwed.
Homer

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2011

Judged:

This would be great (note sarcasm). Before you know it Energy companies will be like wireless companies. Only two of them....
jack

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2011

Judged:

how will it affect me wrote:
The big get bigger.
Thankfully we'll have a consumers counsel to look at for us little people (11 million of us in Ohio) and ensure that this won't hurt us.
Oops!! Sorry, I forgot, King Kasich wants to shut them down and statehouse republicans don't want them to open their mouth on behalf of consumers!!
Don't worry, I get to save about 90 cents a year with this reform!! Awesome!!!!
We're all screwed.
The consumers counsel will do nothing to help us here; they will only develop thousands of inane questions with their over sized staff of attorneys that will result in hundreds of hours of legal time to develop responses to the questions, thus raising costs for all. Thank goodness for leaders like Kasich who will not suck up to the unions and their like who continue to drain the public funds for their own self interests.
Sterling Silver

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2011

Judged:

How do you spell merger? T-A-K-E-O-V-E-R. That's what happened when AEP "merged" with CSW.

Also, time to trot out the old explanation for AEP: Acquiring Every Power Co.

Glad I retired.
retirement-is-gr eat

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2011

Judged:

Sterling Silver wrote:
How do you spell merger? T-A-K-E-O-V-E-R. That's what happened when AEP "merged" with CSW.
Also, time to trot out the old explanation for AEP: Acquiring Every Power Co.
Glad I retired.
Me too. I am glad that I will not need to go through another stressful period like the last merger. Jobs will be lost!
Editor

Zanesville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2011

Judged:

jack wrote:
<quoted text>
The consumers counsel will do nothing to help us here; they will only develop thousands of inane questions with their over sized staff of attorneys that will result in hundreds of hours of legal time to develop responses to the questions, thus raising costs for all. Thank goodness for leaders like Kasich who will not suck up to the unions and their like who continue to drain the public funds for their own self interests.
Seriously, were you dropped on your head?

No other explanation could be possible.
Opinions

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

A merger is inevitable, right, wrong, good or bad. As the industry goes so must AEP. If they did not then the other giants will get bigger and eventually they will be bought out, not merged.

As a Central Ohioan with this scenario hope for a merger with smaller companies and hopefully they will maintain headquarters here or else you will see more vacant office space in Columbus.
Georgia Peach

Londonderry, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

their would be jobs lost and I know this time they can have mine. I should have pushed the button last year.
retirement-is-great wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too. I am glad that I will not need to go through another stressful period like the last merger. Jobs will be lost!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

American Electric Power Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Utility bills more costly in wake of polar vortex (Feb '14) Feb '14 Jerry K 27
Logan teen charged in AEP transformer vandalism (Nov '09) Feb '14 Love AEP 41
AEP outage information now available online (Dec '13) Dec '13 RUTH LOWE 1
Petrochemical challenges lead to opportunities ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Dan Toms 1
Europe, Africa and America are key to oil and g... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Dan Toms 1
AEP Top-up card info. (Aug '13) Aug '13 amy ai 1
How can refineries ensure survival? (Jul '13) Jul '13 Dan Toms 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••