Police seek utility data for homes of...

Police seek utility data for homes of marijuana-growing suspects | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 139 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Feb 28, 2011, titled Police seek utility data for homes of marijuana-growing suspects | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

At least 60 subpoenas are filed each month across the state seeking customers' energy-use records from American Electric Power and other utilities.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Since: Jun 08

Niceville, FL

#125 Feb 28, 2011
Know the law wrote:
<quoted text>
To go back to the comment I just posted, since the 4th Amendment was not implicated in the issuance of the subpoena and since a Judge then validly issued a warrant based on the AEP data and whatever other evidence (if any) the police presented at the warrant hearing, the search was valid and Constitutional. The gentleman with the computer business can sue all he wants, but he's not going to get anywhere.
I'm not sure why, but it seems that the 4th Amendment (along with the 1st) is wholly misunderstood by the average person, much to their detriment.
It's not misunderstood by the people, the 4th is very plain English! It's twisted by crooked judges that claim it means something it does not! A search, is a searchÂ… and that includes ALL private information ALL THE TIME, as the 4th says! Any warrant issued contrary to the plain words of the 4th is invalid! Many people are doing time because of, invalid unconstitutional warrants and crooked judges! THAT'S CALLED TYRANNY!
There is a new crop of patriots evolving though and they are very interested in getting this Nation back to the Constitution. They are tired of being oppressed.

Niceville, FL

#126 Feb 28, 2011
Anonymous Shmynonymous wrote:
A neighbor with serious emotional and mental issues who thinks she was anonymous called drug tip line on a friend of ours and got them in trouble.These people only grew enough to get high themselves,no traffic at their house,no informant sale,NOTHING.Vindictive neighbor called,saying a friend of hers smelled it on friends wife one time,and husband was always home(he works 3rd shift)well,DUH he is usually home during the day!!!This was enough for the drug cowboys to rescue the world from these EVIL POTHEADS!Like I said earlier,she thinks her tip was anonymous!They know who you are-and your ADRESS!!!!
I've been hearing about a lot of "confidential informants" running into unfortunate things lately. These people seem to forget that cops have other things they'd rather do than guard them 24x7. You never know who's getting your phone records these days. Drug PROHIBITION has financed some very powerful criminals with plenty of money to apread around. I guess they could always get in the witness PROTECTION program though... you know where you tell the cops what they want to know and they take you for a ride and no one ever hears from you again. Sometimes it's tough to tell the good guys from the bad guys!
doitright

Columbus, OH

#128 Feb 28, 2011
AEP wrote:
...get a generator!
u need 3 to do it right ....i mean thats what i heard
article

Columbus, OH

#129 Mar 1, 2011
talked of requesting any adjacent homeowners electric info ?????

- Not necessary -

...just fire the incompetent prosecuting attorney.
Whatever

Grove City, OH

#130 Mar 1, 2011
JSKnow wrote:
<quoted text>
Federal marijuana prohibition is unconstitutional and therefore ILLEGAL!
Did everyone else notice that this joker never answered my question?

Once again, tell me why you think smoking marijuana is a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT while speeding, beating my wife, and building a nuclear reactor in my basement is not. You have failed to tell me why. You just keep saying that it is and then going off spewing more and more rhetoric as if saying it over and over again will magically make it true. Well it doesn't.

My Question: Why is smoking marijuana a constitutional right.

Your answer: Because smoking marijuana is a constitutional right.

What? Your lack of logic shows that you should do less smoking and more thinking...
Whatever

Grove City, OH

#131 Mar 1, 2011
Get Educated wrote:
<quoted text>
HEY Whatever....GET Educated.....one of the reasons the government keeps marijuana illegal is because it creates jobs for the "Correction Industry" Police, Attorneys, Prison Guards etc. etc. 2/3 of people in prison today for drug related activity are for marijuana. Drug dealers don't want marijuana to be legal because it would take money out of their pockets and put it in the governments hands. Why dont you quit spouting your uninformed/stereotypical views that your parents, the media, government and the school system brainwashed you with and get the facts. Why don't you rent the movie. The Union. The business behind getting high. Then lets have an educated conversation.
You are the one who needs to get educated and quit listening to the FUD and lies spewed by the pot smokers. Do you really think that all of these people are going to jail for marijuana possesion? The majority of people who are caught with marijuana get a ticket and go home. It's that simple. The magical 2/3 number is a fallacy and clever statistics by the pro pot crowd. These people are jailed on other offenses and happen to also have had marijuana on them. The majority of them didn't go to jail for marijuana possesion. They just got that tacked on because they had a joint on them when they were arrested.

Despite what you have been told, the police are not actively going after casual smokers. They barely go after major marijuana dealers unless they are handed their name on a silver platter (as this story indicates). The police aren't spending billions of dollars prosecuting petty criminals. But that's what the pro pot crowd wants you to believe.

Go back and look at the source of your statistics. Start asking questions. Find out how many of those 2/3 (if that is even a real number and not just made up) where put in jail solely for marijuana possesion. I'm sure when you start asking real questions instead of blindly accepting what the pro pot crowd tells you that you will be quite amazed at the lies they are making up.

Use common sense. Use your own head. Don't listen to a bunch of people who don't want to feel guilty about breaking the law...
TYC

Austwell, TX

#132 Mar 1, 2011
@ Whatever, et. al....

You folks sound like the guy down the block from me. He's always in everyone's business. You don't cut the grass right, you didn't paint the trim right, you don't park your car right, you don't rake your leaves right, you don't pick up your newspaper fast enough.....it never stops.

So, you are right and everybody else is wrong.

Maybe you can help. I don't know how marijuana became illegal. Was it because a panel of scientists decided that marijuana was bad medicine? Or, was there a panel of doctors that decided that marijuana was too dangerous for the general public? Why was marijuana made illegal in 1937?

Look, I'll start. You said, "Once again, tell me why you think smoking marijuana is a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT while speeding, beating my wife, and building a nuclear reactor in my basement is not." OK, I'll help with that one.

Prohibition isn't allowed in the constitution. See, simple! Please see the enumerated powers that are found in Article I, section 8 of the US Constitution. Now, that's not hard! The other items you mention such as speeding, assault, and nuclear reactor building involves other people. Allowing someone to plant a seed in the ground...well, are you saying that god made a mistake?
Whatever

Grove City, OH

#133 Mar 1, 2011
TYC wrote:
@ Whatever, et. al....
You folks sound like the guy down the block from me. He's always in everyone's business. You don't cut the grass right, you didn't paint the trim right, you don't park your car right, you don't rake your leaves right, you don't pick up your newspaper fast enough.....it never stops.
So, you are right and everybody else is wrong.
Maybe you can help. I don't know how marijuana became illegal. Was it because a panel of scientists decided that marijuana was bad medicine? Or, was there a panel of doctors that decided that marijuana was too dangerous for the general public? Why was marijuana made illegal in 1937?
Look, I'll start. You said, "Once again, tell me why you think smoking marijuana is a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT while speeding, beating my wife, and building a nuclear reactor in my basement is not." OK, I'll help with that one.
Prohibition isn't allowed in the constitution. See, simple! Please see the enumerated powers that are found in Article I, section 8 of the US Constitution. Now, that's not hard! The other items you mention such as speeding, assault, and nuclear reactor building involves other people. Allowing someone to plant a seed in the ground...well, are you saying that god made a mistake?
You remind me of the guy down the street. Always telling me how fast I can drive, whether or not I can beat my kid, and whether or not I am allowed to have a nuclear reactor in my basement....

By the way, your marijuana use DOES involve other people. If it didn't then it wouldn't be illegal. I don't want me and my loved ones killed by some stoner driving down the road who is too high to even see the stop sign. I don't want a stoned physician operating on me. I don't want a stoned teacher doing a p&ss poor job of teaching my children. And as an employer, I don't want to have to pay for lackluster performance when some person decides they are going to take up smoking pot. You see, if people/politicians didn't actually recognize the harm in smoking pot back in 1937 then they wouldn't have made it illegal. Show me one law against anything that is completely harmless. Go ahead, I'll wait.... You see? Nothing.

You still didn't answer my question. Why isn't prohibition allowed in the constitution? So prohibition of speeding is allowed but prohibition of pot smoking is not? Hmmmm... maybe you should try again. Your logic doesn't make sense. "Ones right to smoke pot is protected by the constitution because the constitution does not say that it is wrong to prohibit it" is not a logical answer to my question. Especially when your answer doesn't cover why pot smoking should then be legal but speeding should not.

As for God, let's leave him out of this. Or are you saying that he made a mistake by creating poisonous snakes, flowers, mushrooms, and other things that are bad for us?
tourhound

Pleasantville, NJ

#134 Mar 1, 2011
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
You remind me of the guy down the street. Always telling me how fast I can drive, whether or not I can beat my kid, and whether or not I am allowed to have a nuclear reactor in my basement....
By the way, your marijuana use DOES involve other people. If it didn't then it wouldn't be illegal. I don't want me and my loved ones killed by some stoner driving down the road who is too high to even see the stop sign. I don't want a stoned physician operating on me. I don't want a stoned teacher doing a p&ss poor job of teaching my children. And as an employer, I don't want to have to pay for lackluster performance when some person decides they are going to take up smoking pot. You see, if people/politicians didn't actually recognize the harm in smoking pot back in 1937 then they wouldn't have made it illegal. Show me one law against anything that is completely harmless. Go ahead, I'll wait.... You see? Nothing.
You still didn't answer my question. Why isn't prohibition allowed in the constitution? So prohibition of speeding is allowed but prohibition of pot smoking is not? Hmmmm... maybe you should try again. Your logic doesn't make sense. "Ones right to smoke pot is protected by the constitution because the constitution does not say that it is wrong to prohibit it" is not a logical answer to my question. Especially when your answer doesn't cover why pot smoking should then be legal but speeding should not.
As for God, let's leave him out of this. Or are you saying that he made a mistake by creating poisonous snakes, flowers, mushrooms, and other things that are bad for us?
I'll address your driving comment. You have more of a chance of being killed by the so called straight people out driving. You know the ones they drive around with their headlights out in pouring rain and or poor visability. Never use a turn signal, do 80mph to the stop sign or red light a block away.No consideration for cops or construction workers or someone broke down, on the side of the road don't even consider slowing down or moving over, hell go even faster.
Sigh

Grove City, OH

#135 Mar 2, 2011
"Whatever," don't you have anything better to do? You've made your point many times now, so move on. You aren't going to change anyone's opinions on legalization. This also goes for the people pro-pot. Posting over and over, name-calling...it just makes all of you seem immature and pathetic. Act like an adult and accept that people have differing opinions and no amount of bickering will change them.

If you really are anti-drug, why don't you take that energy and put it to use volunteering at youth counseling centers instead of wasting it throwing a temper tantrum when others do not agree with you? Directions For Youth in Columbus is a great program that always needs support and donations. Maybe you could start there.
Mark

Pickerington, OH

#136 Mar 2, 2011
How much could you actually grow in a home? It would seem that the vast majority may be for personal use, who cares?

United States

#137 Mar 2, 2011
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Did everyone else notice that this joker never answered my question?
Once again, tell me why you think smoking marijuana is a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT while speeding, beating my wife, and building a nuclear reactor in my basement is not. You have failed to tell me why. You just keep saying that it is and then going off spewing more and more rhetoric as if saying it over and over again will magically make it true. Well it doesn't.
My Question: Why is smoking marijuana a constitutional right.
Your answer: Because smoking marijuana is a constitutional right.
What? Your lack of logic shows that you should do less smoking and more thinking...
I answered your questions in detail about the Constitutional rights issue you keep twisting into things I never said. At some point a rational person like myself simply has to realize they are conversing with someone (you) that is either unable to comprehend what they read or they are simply too mentally challenged to have the ability to receive new information and adjust their drug war propaganda brainwashed mind. NOW, if you want the answer to your questions about the Constitutional issues I have raised, GO BACK AND READ THE ANSWERS I HAVE ALREADY PROVIDED. If I have to address any more questions about this from you I assure you I will make you look even more idiotic that I did here!
Whatever

Grove City, OH

#138 Mar 2, 2011
JSKnow wrote:
<quoted text>
I answered your questions in detail about the Constitutional rights issue you keep twisting into things I never said. At some point a rational person like myself simply has to realize they are conversing with someone (you) that is either unable to comprehend what they read or they are simply too mentally challenged to have the ability to receive new information and adjust their drug war propaganda brainwashed mind. NOW, if you want the answer to your questions about the Constitutional issues I have raised, GO BACK AND READ THE ANSWERS I HAVE ALREADY PROVIDED. If I have to address any more questions about this from you I assure you I will make you look even more idiotic that I did here!
You haven't made anyone but yourself look idiot. You still haven't answered my question. "Because the constitution doesn't say that I can't" is not an answer because I can say the same thing about driving. Face it, you have no answer so you keep spewing the same crap hoping that it will make you look informed. Well it doesn't. I'm calling you out as the charlatan that you are. You spread lies and FUD and the simple minded folks believe it because they don't possess the ability to comprehend simple logical arguments.

I'm done with you. You are the fool and anyone who believes your rhetoric is a fool as well.
Whatever

Grove City, OH

#139 Mar 2, 2011
Sigh wrote:
"Whatever," don't you have anything better to do? You've made your point many times now, so move on. You aren't going to change anyone's opinions on legalization. This also goes for the people pro-pot. Posting over and over, name-calling...it just makes all of you seem immature and pathetic. Act like an adult and accept that people have differing opinions and no amount of bickering will change them.
If you really are anti-drug, why don't you take that energy and put it to use volunteering at youth counseling centers instead of wasting it throwing a temper tantrum when others do not agree with you? Directions For Youth in Columbus is a great program that always needs support and donations. Maybe you could start there.
Doesn't JSKnow have nothing better to do? Unless someone is out here showing simple minded folks that people like JSKnow are spreading lies and FUD then they will blindly believe whatever they read. I've had this argument countless times and I have always one. Why? Because you can't argue with simple logic. I've convinced dozens of people that the pro-pot crowd is lying. It didn't take much to accomplish this either.

Someone needs to keep pounding against the rhetoric that the pro-pot crowd is spreading. The Internet has become the most powerful weapon on the planet. Why? Because the gullible masses will believe whatever they are told. And if you have means to reach those masses cheaply and effectively, you can spread whatever lies you want to and people will believe it.

Ignorance is a very dangerous weapon. It's time to put a stop to its use for political and personal gain.

I'm officially done now and I won't be back (in this thread). Good day to all.
TYC

Austwell, TX

#140 Mar 2, 2011
@ Whatever, et. al.

"I've had this argument countless times and I have always one. Why? Because you can't argue with simple logic. I've convinced dozens of people that the pro-pot crowd is lying."

Ummmm....I think that you're confusing "Geez, why can't this busybody leave me alone?" with "Yes, I agree." Sometimes I agree with a simpleton just to get away from reasoned, willfull ignorance. Yeah, sure, you're right, goodbye! Thought he' never leave.

I vote to completely legalize cannabis for age appropriate adults with a regulatory structure similar to alcohol.

Since: Mar 11

Steamboat Springs, CO

#141 Mar 2, 2011
Headlines such as this breed a feeling of hatred in my soul and creates a vision of destruction and anarchy which are much to my liking. Misery loves company and so do these sadistic and vengeful practices which occur daily in the United States. I see a future in our homeland filled with Chinese human rights, ruthless druglords, and a herd of scared sheep.
regular guy

Cincinnati, OH

#142 Mar 3, 2011
do you remember that it took an amendment to the constitution to outlaw booze, it had to be done that way because banning a substance was clearly out of the bounds of the law at the time, no constitutional amendment to ban pot (or other drugs) make these laws unconstitutional. get it?
IronyAugmented

Westerville, OH

#143 Mar 3, 2011
I don't care whether you legalize it or not. What I do care about is why my rights are being trampled with drug tests and snooping around my utilities and thermal imaging and such. Why are my constitutional rights to privacy and no unreasonable search and seizure being trampled because somebody want to grow a plant and get high? It must not be that big a deal since most weed the Mexicans bring across our porous border. If they cared about stoners getting high, SEAL the border. No, they just need any excuse to trample our rights, and you cowards defending them will be the first ones they trample.

Ever wonder why local suburban police all over the country have better weapons and armor than they first sent our boys to Iraq with? They send our soldiers to Iraq and Afghanistan with BS out-of-the box M16s while the local police have highly-customize tactical gear. Why? The only logical reason is to fight a heavily armed populace.

US.

And like fools, scared of Al K. Aida and some hippy stoner, are letting it happen. The forefathers of this great country must be break-dancing in their graves.
dbeall

Columbus, OH

#144 Mar 4, 2011
Alkida does not exist, that is a scam, like weapons-of-mass-destruction.

It's all just another scam like Cheney's 911-false-flag-event.

If you really want law-and-order, then why are Cheney, Bush, Myers, Silverstein, wolfowitze and may others NOT in prison for mass murder and committing treason against America?

The Constitution is being trampled by the US Government, local government, and the cops. The cops have turned from being peace-officers into officers-of-the-state, or killers, thugs, criminals and thieves.

The whole drug war is wrong and un-winnable, because the American people have civil rights.

If we choose to smoke, grow or sell pot,cannabis,marijuana or hemp... well, that is our right and choice to do so because we live in a Free Country protected by the Constitution.

Grow all you want, plant it everywhere.

This 100 grams of pot that I have right now was grown outdoors, about 10 miles from my house on a farm and it's pretty dam good for Ohio grown. Sorry to the cops, I would have 10 pounds of it for you to steal, but that would be illegal under Ohio law.

Have a nice day everyone, it's time for my coffee break and a nice joint of this perry county weed. mmmmm, that sure smells nice... the coffee and the weed

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

American Electric Power Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pioneer Investments Adds to Stakes in Hartford ... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Connie lake luzer... 1
www.solarsteampower.com the most annoying dumb ... (Sep '15) Sep '15 This will make yo... 1
News Clean power plan could result in less coal use;... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Solar miner 09er 1
News Utilities feel burned by solar-energy users (Nov '14) Nov '14 Solarman 36
News Utility bills more costly in wake of polar vortex (Feb '14) Feb '14 Jerry K 27
News Logan teen charged in AEP transformer vandalism (Nov '09) Feb '14 Love AEP 41
News AEP outage information now available online (Dec '13) Dec '13 RUTH LOWE 1
More from around the web