Massive Blackout Continues in St. Louis

Massive Blackout Continues in St. Louis

There are 3 comments on the The Associated Press story from Jul 24, 2006, titled Massive Blackout Continues in St. Louis . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

Nearly a quarter-million homes and businesses still had no electricity Monday as the city struggled to recover from last week's devastating thunderstorms.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

S M Ferguson

AOL

#1 Jul 26, 2006
I know Ameren says they are doing the best that they can, and I believe that, but it doesn't negate the fact that many of us smaller community residents can get no help or information on restoration times, progress or plain answers. The media and the many engines that drive it, make is seem as if the numbers they say or report mean much to those still left without power today, 7/25/06. I still have no power and have a disabled mom and child. Where can I go to be heard. I know this is a major catastrophe and my heart goes out to those that are just like myself. Sure I have relatives or friends who might let me bunk with them for this short spell, since many of the larger communities, I guess, have power restored, but I want to go home! Actually living without electricity in the short run is more expensive, because you incur many other expenses not normally accumulated when you don't have electricity.
Well, one way to look at this on the bright side is, because of the condition of the whole teetering system, it's probably best that if it were going to topple it did so this summer. I would have been deadly to have gone through a winter storm with a power outage this massive with no heat. The winds that came and did the damage in my neighborhood would have been nothing compared to the winds on a blustery day in, say, mid-Decemeber, Oh my God. The old structures probably needed reinforcing, fixing, and the tlc it's getting now, but what a way to be reminded, to keep up with the maintenance and tree trimming efforts to avoid this type of thing in the future.
Unimpressed with Ameren

Saint Peters, MO

#2 Jul 26, 2006
I found it odd that Ameren couldn't give me accurate information about the outage at my home. I could call them from Lake Ozark on Sunday to ask them if I had power before I drove three hours back home. (I ignored the automatic phone messages that said they were not answering calls that day). Ameren told me that I did not have power. When I called a neighbor, I found out that power had been on for over twelve hours. I don't understand that. I wonder if Ameren was making more money routing power to other areas of the country with shortages.
homeboy

Lund, Sweden

#3 Feb 1, 2012
I know Ameren says they are doing the best that they can, and I believe that, but it doesn't negate the fact that many of us smaller community residents can get no help or information on restoration times, progress or plain answers. The media and the many engines that drive it, make is seem as if the numbers they say or report mean much to those still left without power today, 7/25/06. I still have no power and have a disabled mom and child. Where can I go to be heard. I know this is a major catastrophe and my heart goes out to those that are just like myself. Sure I have relatives or friends who might let me bunk with them for this short spell, since many of the larger communities, I guess, have power restored, but I want to go home! Actually living without electricity in the short run is more expensive, because you incur many other expenses not normally accumulated when you don't have electricity.
Well, one way to look at this on the bright side is, because of the condition of the whole teetering system, it's probably best that if it were going to topple it did so this summer. I would have been deadly to have gone through a winter storm with a power outage this massive with no heat. The winds that came and did the damage in my neighborhood would have been nothing compared to the winds on a blustery day in, say, mid-Decemeber, Oh my God. The old structures probably needed reinforcing, fixing, and the tlc it's getting now, but what a way to be reminded, to keep up with the maintenance and tree trimming efforts to avoid this type of thing in the future.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ameren Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 3 injured in accident at central Mo. nuclear plant (Apr '13) Apr '13 kevan 1
News Ameren asks judge to toss lawsuit over boy who ... (Jun '07) Dec '12 cousin 2
News Ameren donates $50,000 to Heat-Up St. Louis (Nov '11) Nov '11 ROBERT 1
Lake properties (Oct '11) Oct '11 Carol Fenton 1
News One Dead In Motorcycle Accident In North St. Louis (Sep '10) Sep '10 Big J 45
News Ameren UE Promises $5 Million in Energy Assistance (Aug '10) Aug '10 angie 8
News Fallen Power Lines Cut Metrolink Service Downto... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Emma 2
More from around the web