Utility's Storm Response Criticized

Top leaders in Missouri and Illinois, where thousands of customers remain without power after last week's winter storm, sharply criticized a utility's response to the crisis Thursday. Full Story
Critics

Decatur, IL

#1 Dec 8, 2006
I would like to know where these people were when they knew the storm was going to hit. Were their concerns voiced BEFORE this ice storm, I doubt it.
Why didn't they bring up their concerns beforehand vs. slamming the companies "after the fact". You people need to get it together and put the blame where it really belongs. Let's see, state workers are going to receive a what - 16-20% salary increase? Why weren't funds put in to place for legitimate reasons - like burying lines underground for instance. I'm sick of the politicians blaming everyone but themselves!
GetReal

Downers Grove, IL

#2 Dec 8, 2006
My grateful thanks to every utility worker, police office, fireman and snowplow driver who put battled the elements during and following the ice storm. For the politicians who want to criticize the utilities, Get Real. First you want to freeze their rates and prevent them from collecting money that could be used to support the electric infrastructure. Now following a tremendous ice storm, their Herculean efforts are criticized while they sit by instead of working together with the utilities to coordinate resources.

Donít forget that the utilities have to travel the same roads as everyone else to get to trouble spots. Did the state and local officials have every road cleared so the utility trucks could reach downed power lines as they were failing during the storm? Maybe Lt. Governor Quinn should have the state forestry crews take down every tree that could possibly fall on a power line. Get Real. The utilities operate within their budgets to provide safe, reliable service and do a wonderful job.(Unfortunately for Illinois residents, Lt. Governor Quinn and Governor Blagojevich know nothing about staying within budget.).

Burying every power line is cost prohibitive. Cutting down trees upsets everyone, especially the squirrels. Letís all (politicians, utilities, residents, municipal workers) learn from this experience, identify what the real, manageable issues are and develop a plan for the next large ice storm.
Mike

AOL

#3 Dec 8, 2006
Ask just about anybody that works for your Com Ed about storm response. Dispacth system that goes down, sit and wait for work tickets for hours. Field supervisors that have never worked in the utility industry. People are thankful to the workers it's the dump shit managers. Com Ed is going bankrupt and their CEO made 27 million last year. A storm like this would cripple Com Ed for months.
Response to Get Real

Decatur, IL

#4 Dec 8, 2006
Well put :)
Brooke

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Dec 8, 2006
ok this is for all you complainers out there. just to clear things up the employees of ameren can not just go out there and flip on a switch and have the power back on! that is something that you all just don't seem to understand. do you actually think with 500,000 + people without power that it will be back on the next day? the answer is NO! So stop complaining these guys are working 16 + hour shifts and getting 4 hours of sleep to get the power back on and all that is being done is complaining. instead of complaining you all should be telling these guys what a great job they are doing- if you see them out offer them water, offer them hot chocolate they are out there all day in freezing temperatures. this is no party for them. do you know that they are risking their lives everytime they go out there?! 2 of these employees happen to be my father and my boyfriend. i am the one that has to do the worrying everytime they go out there. be thankful!!!! no one quite understands what these guys go through you have to know a linemen personally or be a family member.
Mike

AOL

#6 Dec 9, 2006
Brooke wrote:
ok this is for all you complainers out there. just to clear things up the employees of ameren can not just go out there and flip on a switch and have the power back on! that is something that you all just don't seem to understand. do you actually think with 500,000 + people without power that it will be back on the next day? the answer is NO! So stop complaining these guys are working 16 + hour shifts and getting 4 hours of sleep to get the power back on and all that is being done is complaining. instead of complaining you all should be telling these guys what a great job they are doing- if you see them out offer them water, offer them hot chocolate they are out there all day in freezing temperatures. this is no party for them. do you know that they are risking their lives everytime they go out there?! 2 of these employees happen to be my father and my boyfriend. i am the one that has to do the worrying everytime they go out there. be thankful!!!! no one quite understands what these guys go through you have to know a linemen personally or be a family member.
Nobody is complaining about the linemen. I'll bet you here them tell how none of their bosses have the brains of a grapefruit.
To Buy a Generator

Decatur, IL

#8 Dec 11, 2006
Amen! Also purchase a kerosene heater and a new attitude. Help yourself vs. expecting someone else to do it all for you.
It is a Public Utility

Bethalto, IL

#9 Dec 11, 2006
Um, why don't the regulators regulate the public utility? Here are the salaries of the top Ameren IP execs, not counting their stock options.

Gary L. Rainwater Chairman, President, & CEO $2,915,964
Warner L. Baxter Executive VP and CFO $1,422,671
T.R. Voss COO & EVP $1,474,079

The public is being raped.
To to buy a generator

Bethalto, IL

#10 Dec 11, 2006
What is it that you think a public utility is supposed to do? Try "serve the public." If you pay your utility bills, how is that "expecting someone else to do it all for you?" If you live in a residential area with covenants and restrictions, you can't put up a windmill or solar panels, install a propane tank, or raise chickens and goats. If you work full time, you cannot keep a generator going when it has to be refilled every five hours. And if the gas stations are shut down, you can't buy gas for your generator. I've lived in five states and never have had problems with power outages, surges, and damage to electronical equipment in my home. I'm out $1,000 this time for a sump pump that experienced a surge. I'm not allowed to dump crap in my backyard either.
Living in the midwest

United States

#11 Dec 11, 2006
I'm glad to see that so many people think the world should be perfect and that we shouldn't ever expect any natural disasters! Get real people. There are tornadoes, straight line winds, thunder storms, ice storms, blizzards, and the possibility of a major earthquake isn't out of the question. ALL of these events have the potential to knock out electricity for a long time. This ice storm would have done the same thing to Kansas City, Chicago, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville, or any other heavily populated area. People would have been without electricity there too. The best thing to do is be prepared-have a plan. I remember hearing that the ice was a possibility a couple of days before it happened. My Mom and Dad went through the big ice storm out east several years ago and after hearing their horror story, I decided it would never happen to me. We bought a generator several years ago and always have at least 20 gallons of treated gas on hand at the beginning of the winter. A generator doesn't have to run constantly and will last quite a while if it has a large capacity fuel tank. We also have our "disaster kit" in the basement, ready to use if the need should arise. I don't think any power company will ever guarantee any of it's customers totally un-interupted service and it's pretty un-reasonable to expect it. Should service be reliable under normal conditions? Yes, by all means! But on those occasions when mother nature shows us who the real boss is, be ready to deal with it the best you can by being prepared ahead of time.
Reply to Midwest

Decatur, IL

#12 Dec 12, 2006
Amen to Living in the Midwest. Gee, are you all going to blame the Meterologists for making a bad prediction - after all, they said the ice would hit the northern part of Illinois the hardest and we all would get the brunt of snow - oh my, let's go get em LOL. And what does the salary of the executives have to do with an ice storm and poor planning on individuals parts - absolutely nothing.
Reply to Public Utility

Decatur, IL

#13 Dec 12, 2006
Since there has been a 10 year rate freeze why should they do more - did we all have a 10 year freeze on our wages - NO and if we did, I guarantee they wouldn't get a 100% out of us, not even 40%
Larry

Plainfield, IL

#14 Jan 9, 2007
Who knows if ComEd is really going bankrupt or not? Of course the CEO is way overpaid, the vast majority of them are (spoiled brats). There's not much we can do to control the rates, only our consumption. I think most of us are using more electricity than we realize, and way more than what we really need. Computers that are always on, inefficient light bulbs, that 30-year old refrigerator in the garage with one case of beer in it...

www.energystar.gov
tony

Woodridge, IL

#15 Jan 9, 2007
well i have converted 95% of the lighting to more effcient bulbs.. Of course it wont matter if weather gets extremely cold or hot... We still need the electric to run the furnace or ac @ nite ... maybe consider solar panels.. to offset the usage..
Living in the midwest

United States

#17 Jan 11, 2007
GET READY NOW PEOPLE!!!!!!! There is a possible ice storm on the way. Get out now and get the supplies you might need if the power goes out. Start making plans NOW!!!!!
Confused-Concern ed

Peoria, IL

#18 Mar 19, 2007
It won't even take a big storm to cripple Illinois. Just wait and see what happens if they follow thru on the layoffs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ameren Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
3 injured in accident at central Mo. nuclear plant (Apr '13) Apr '13 kevan 1
Ameren asks judge to toss lawsuit over boy who ... (Jun '07) Dec '12 cousin 2
Massive Blackout Continues in St. Louis (Jul '06) Feb '12 homeboy 3
Ameren donates $50,000 to Heat-Up St. Louis (Nov '11) Nov '11 ROBERT 1
Lake properties (Oct '11) Oct '11 Carol Fenton 1
One Dead In Motorcycle Accident In North St. Louis (Sep '10) Sep '10 Big J 45
Ameren UE Promises $5 Million in Energy Assistance (Aug '10) Aug '10 angie 8
•••

Ameren People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE