Rate hike rollback stopped by Senate

Rate hike rollback stopped by Senate

There are 81 comments on the Quad-City Times story from Mar 1, 2007, titled Rate hike rollback stopped by Senate. In it, Quad-City Times reports that:

The top Democrat in the Illinois Senate again doused hopes Wednesday that the General Assembly might somehow roll back huge electric rate increases.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Quad-City Times.

Angry consumer

Springfield, IL

#61 Mar 23, 2007
hopefully the feds WILL come in and look at Ameren. Maybe we have another ENRON about to happen and if our luke holds senior Ameren officials and their CHi town lackies (like Emil JOnes) will do some prison time. Do you know Illinois what your general assembly is voting on while you decide to heat or eat??? Yes important things like "Oprah WInfry Day", "Support of the Mountain People (wtf?)" and important issues like free gang tattoo removal and liscenses for hair braiding... Good bye Illinois!
Sharon from southern IL

United States

#62 Apr 11, 2007
I wonder if IL is in for another Great Depression time. The way things are going. I wouldn't doubt it.
really mad

United States

#63 Apr 11, 2007
I've read thru all bickering back and forth about the old freeze the new freeze, can we talk about the lies? When the rate hike was first proposed I received a pamplet in the mail from Ameren, stateing "your increase will amount to about $6 a month", next I hear on the radio that they have changed the increase to 35%, then a week later it's on the t.v. " Ameren decides to raise it to 45%. Then at last we hear the final increase will be 55%. Then when people's bills more than tripled they get investigated (watching this on t.v.) They came up with one reason the first time, then on the second session it was a different reason, and at the last they had a 6th different reason, not mentioning any of the previous 5. If they had just kept their word on how the increase would run, gradually, it would have given people time to figure out what they need to do finacially. A roll back may not be the answer but at least give people time to get caught up.
Enough is enough

United States

#64 Apr 16, 2007
If Ameren feels they have to lay off some of their employees if the rates are frozen again, so be it. They should start with laying off Emil Jones.
david

Belleville, IL

#67 Apr 22, 2007
We need to invest in wind generators and solar energy, so we can power ourselves. Put the power monopolies out of business for good.
david

Belleville, IL

#68 Apr 22, 2007
I have a wind turbine , so Ameren can go get bent!!!!!!
tony

Woodridge, IL

#69 Apr 23, 2007
what u expect.. emil jones gets a kicckback... ahh campaign donation from com ed $246,000
JLK

Saint Louis, MO

#70 Apr 23, 2007
You are absolutely right! How else do you explain what Emil is doing?? He even has some of his right hand people ticked off! That is pretty bad. I sure don't know what is going to happen but it isn't looking good.
re-regulate now

Rantoul, IL

#71 Apr 23, 2007
I am not a fan of gov't getting involved, but the fact of the matter is, when it comes to necessities and services with a fixed infastructure like electricity and gas, a regulated environment worked much better. CIPS, now Ameren, since they owned their own generation had incentives for efficient electric heat...thats all gone now. Market based pricing on power and gas will never be in the best interest of the consumer, only the power suppliers.
The first smart thing to come out of Scott Cisel's mouth in a long time was that he also is urging lawmakers to go back to the regulated environment.
For Illinois sake, I hope they re-regulate and throw out the outrageous contracts through that farce of a reverse-auction process. It was a consumer fleecing process from the get go.
re-regulate now

Rantoul, IL

#72 Apr 23, 2007
Plainfield Mom wrote:
What we need is incentives to get other suppliers here instead of keeping this monopoly? Look at California...the power companies made no money and had rolling blackouts.
Even if residential customers had a choice, it will never be cheaper than a regulated environment.
What good is choice if it costs more? Residential load isn't enough for alternative power suppliers to bother with.

And thats just what I need....something else to waste my time shopping for. The regulated environment worked better....prices were great and I didn't have to shop around on a month to month basis for it.
audman

Paris, IL

#73 Apr 23, 2007
There has to be a happy medium. Yes i feel betrayed by the Gov't, yes I feel screwed by Ameren. I realize that a rate freeze is not the answer....but ameren is not very honest in it's dealings with it's customers. They lost my check once, shut my power off for a day...forcing me to repay my bill with the new one as well. As I i checked my answering machine after the power man left I had a message from a customer service rep saying that they found my check....i explained the situation and told them I was stopping my original check....they attempted to cash it anyway then had the nerve to send my nasty letters about service charges and made me pay a deposit split over three bills. The Icc didn't do a thing.
Now i budgeted an extra hundred dollars for the increased bills based on what cips told me (30%) but my bill trippled (200 last feb...600 this year). Consequently we have decided to relocate to Phoenix Az as soon as our kids are out of school this year. I'm not saying the new power bills are the only reason but they were a big factor.
The solution for those left in Illinois is for the power companies to have a flexible rate plan, something like having the rates based on each counties average wage.

as for the CIPS employees who are getting laid off....well, i've worked for a grain consortium for years and it was bought out by a large company (Cargill) and now I'm laid off to so things just suck all over.

I agree with whomever stated that Illinois population is going into decline because of this....after all we are getting the heck away from illinois as well.
robert mitchell

Peoria, IL

#74 Apr 23, 2007
the problem started 10 years ago when the icc and cub let the companys deregulate? that was a big mistake, they should put them back together and regulate the prices like they did in the past!
tiredofpolitics

United States

#75 Apr 24, 2007
Jones needs to go. He is so in the pockets of all of the power companies. The campaign funds are outrageous. He doesn't appear to want ot be one of the bad guys, so he sends his lackys to do his dirty work. Kind of renminds me of when he and his wife got married a couple years ago. Her salary jumped in her newly appointed state job from 50 something to 170 something thousands of dollars. Just how corrupt is he anyway. If the people of Illinois don't see what he's doing and vote him out of office, they are all dumber than i'd like to think.
EJN

Chicago, IL

#76 Apr 24, 2007
Let us just face the facts..Illinois is a political hellhole all votes are for sale along with all public entities.The whole country laughs at illinois politics,because it is a joke!
Tom

Saint Louis, MO

#77 Apr 25, 2007
How many briefcases of $$$$$ has Rainwater given Emil Jones. They r both S.O.B.'s May They rot in hell.
Sharon from southern IL

United States

#78 Apr 25, 2007
david wrote:
We need to invest in wind generators and solar energy, so we can power ourselves. Put the power monopolies out of business for good.
There is WIND MILL ran electric being done. Through out the USA. So, why can't those companies be brought here ??? And, be set up as a alternative source ???
David

Belleville, IL

#79 May 23, 2007
If the government wants to freeze something . FREEZE GASOLINE PRICES!!!!!!!!
Plainfield Mom

Plainfield, IL

#80 May 24, 2007
David wrote:
If the government wants to freeze something . FREEZE GASOLINE PRICES!!!!!!!!
Now, we're talking!!!
disable vietnam marine

Saint Peters, MO

#81 May 24, 2007
someone shit are get off pot do something
Scott

Carterville, IL

#82 May 27, 2007
Evil Jones is a monster! I do not know what possessed the idiots who elected him to do so, but it's far past time for that creep to go!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ameren Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 3 injured in accident at central Mo. nuclear plant (Apr '13) Apr '13 kevan 1
News Ameren asks judge to toss lawsuit over boy who ... (Jun '07) Dec '12 cousin 2
News Massive Blackout Continues in St. Louis (Jul '06) Feb '12 homeboy 3
News Ameren donates $50,000 to Heat-Up St. Louis (Nov '11) Nov '11 ROBERT 1
Lake properties (Oct '11) Oct '11 Carol Fenton 1
News One Dead In Motorcycle Accident In North St. Louis (Sep '10) Sep '10 Big J 45
News Ameren UE Promises $5 Million in Energy Assistance (Aug '10) Aug '10 angie 8
More from around the web