Rate hike rollback stopped by Senate

Rate hike rollback stopped by Senate

There are 81 comments on the Quad-City Times story from Mar 1, 2007, titled Rate hike rollback stopped by Senate. In it, Quad-City Times reports that:

The top Democrat in the Illinois Senate again doused hopes Wednesday that the General Assembly might somehow roll back huge electric rate increases.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Quad-City Times.

Plainfield Mom

Plainfield, IL

#21 Mar 6, 2007
Let's have the government freeze the cost on everything for 10 years so that we can benefit financially and then in 10 years (if some of those companies are still around and not in bankruptcy) we can pass along even higher prices to our kids when the companies have to make up for losts profits. NOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTT!(Looks like we all have to end with that word now).
lillie

Belleville, IL

#22 Mar 6, 2007
hey Janet I feel you. My bill is 304 dollars this month and god knows how I can keep up. Guess I'll have to leave the great state of Illinois with everyone else. I wonder how many homes are left empty in missouri at this point. I look across the river and wonder how one state can reduce the rates while the other allows us to be raked over the coals. When I asked ameren about this months ago they told me it wasn't there problem. I told them they would cause chaos but they didn't care then and they dont' care now.
Janet

Saint Louis, MO

#23 Mar 7, 2007
Maybe the government should NOT have voted on a freeze 10 years ago. That is true but the fact remains that they did. However I don't believe that it is fair to make up for 10 years of increases at the drop of a hat. It has to be a gradual thing that people can put into their budget. My power bill in December was $140.00 so I figured with the 50% increase I would have around another $70.00 added to my January bill making a total of around $210.00. Well guess what?? My bill for January was $382.00 and for February $398.00. I might as well jump on the band wagon by saying "is that a 50% increase...NOT!!" Sure wish I could get that kind of a pay increase at work!!
Ashley

Belleville, IL

#24 Mar 7, 2007
reply to concerned wrote:
Let's all quit buying gas for our cars, groceries, quit watching tv, not talking on the phone, etc maybe that will make the all those prices lower i.e. which means we won't be going to work or doing anything else we enjoy - sound like a plan NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
That might be the only way you'll be able to afford paying your power bill now

That might be the only way you'll be able to pay your power bill now
alan

Akron, OH

#25 Mar 8, 2007
Lets look at the math folks--the good old government steps in and freezes rates for 10 years--no other person or business has this kind of regulation and has their prices and paychecks froze for a decade.-- so at the rate of inflation that is about 40% over 10 years--so a $100 bill will now be about $140--but wait--- February has been 60% colder than last year so multiply that by 1.6=$224. About $40 of the increase is due to Ameren's rate increase and $84 is due to the colder weather this year. So you can whine to God about the colder weather and about 2/3rds of the reason for the higher bills and you can whine to the state controlled utility commission for the other 1/3rd due to the sticker shock that they created. Ameren buys their power from suppliers who have been raising their rates (most due to higher oil prices as gas turbine generators and oil are utilized in many power plants) for the last 10 years, so consider your whining selves lucky that you haven't had increasing electric prices for the last 10 years. Getting a huge increase all at once is your wonderful state government controlled utility commission's fault--and the irony is that all the states politicians (who control this commission) are now "playing politics" and siding with all the whining consumers about how wrong this sudden increase is( to get votes of course) after they were the ones that instituted it.
reply to Alan

Decatur, IL

#26 Mar 8, 2007
Exactly
Janet

Saint Louis, MO

#27 Mar 8, 2007
alan wrote:
Lets look at the math folks--the good old government steps in and freezes rates for 10 years--no other person or business has this kind of regulation and has their prices and paychecks froze for a decade.-- so at the rate of inflation that is about 40% over 10 years--so a $100 bill will now be about $140--but wait--- February has been 60% colder than last year so multiply that by 1.6=$224. About $40 of the increase is due to Ameren's rate increase and $84 is due to the colder weather this year. So you can whine to God about the colder weather and about 2/3rds of the reason for the higher bills and you can whine to the state controlled utility commission for the other 1/3rd due to the sticker shock that they created. Ameren buys their power from suppliers who have been raising their rates (most due to higher oil prices as gas turbine generators and oil are utilized in many power plants) for the last 10 years, so consider your whining selves lucky that you haven't had increasing electric prices for the last 10 years. Getting a huge increase all at once is your wonderful state government controlled utility commission's fault--and the irony is that all the states politicians (who control this commission) are now "playing politics" and siding with all the whining consumers about how wrong this sudden increase is( to get votes of course) after they were the ones that instituted it.
I promise to quit whining if you will pay my new power bill!!=) Just joking of course. My main gripe is that if we were going to catch up 10 years of inflation we should have been told this 6 months ago so we would have known. I just don't care for the lying that was done.
lynn

AOL

#28 Mar 9, 2007
lillie baugh wrote:
Last time I checked he was the one stopping the vote. I dont think the rate freeze is a permanent solution but I do know Ameren knew what they were doing and what the fallout would be. They never considered the effect of what they were doing to many people. I have followed this since September and knew about the rate elimination along time ago. I asked Ameren point blank what I was going to do. They said thats just the way it is and you have to deal with it. Now my bill is 300 dollars for one month I',m not asking for a rate freeze but I do want a fair rate. Frozen rates will at least make everyone come back to the table and be sensible about this matter. I can blame Emil Jones for that because it is really his fault. thank you very much.
EMIL JONES is the reason Ameren is not being stopped. He is one cocky guy. He grew up poor. you would think he would care for others. But apparently he doesnt. How did we get someone like him in the Senate?
reply to Lynn

Decatur, IL

#29 Mar 9, 2007
He is against the freeze because he's seen what the repercussions have been - everyone is VERY unhappy. It will be 10 x's worse if there is yet another freeze. I do not see that as being cocky at all - I call it being realistic.
jofield resident

Woodridge, IL

#30 Mar 9, 2007
What can expect.. chicago democrats ruling the state.. also.. why are these senate democrats blocking the legislation??? can u say campaign contibutions???
Janet

Saint Louis, MO

#31 Mar 9, 2007
We have heard from Ameren that they will have to have lay offs if there is a freeze. Well the sad fact is that they already have too many employees. My mother needed a new utility pole behind her house. She took a picture of the crew standing around looking at the damaged pole and there were 17 workers. That is a waste of our money. If I am going to be paying these outrageous prices for power I would like to see my money going somewhere other then dead weight. Where were all of these guys during the storms when several were without power for days? I am not a negative person and hate to sound negative but there is just too much going on that cannot be explained. Even if there is no a freeze some of the dead weight needs to go.
jay

Chesterfield, MO

#32 Mar 9, 2007
Janet wrote:
We have heard from Ameren that they will have to have lay offs if there is a freeze. Well the sad fact is that they already have too many employees. My mother needed a new utility pole behind her house. She took a picture of the crew standing around looking at the damaged pole and there were 17 workers. That is a waste of our money. If I am going to be paying these outrageous prices for power I would like to see my money going somewhere other then dead weight. Where were all of these guys during the storms when several were without power for days? I am not a negative person and hate to sound negative but there is just too much going on that cannot be explained. Even if there is no a freeze some of the dead weight needs to go.
Where were all those guys during the storms? They were over at your Mothers house Ameren/IP figured if your mom complained as much as you that they better take care of her problem as quick as possible so they sent 17 guys now your complaining about that----
alan

Akron, OH

#33 Mar 10, 2007
Janet wrote:
Janet--thanks for the heads up--I will contact the Human Resources Office responsible for Lineman for Ameren and suggest they lay off about two thirds of them "dead weight Lineman'I would buy a generator for the next storm because your whining butt will need it!
Plainfield Mom

Plainfield, IL

#34 Mar 10, 2007
alan wrote:
<quoted text>Janet--thanks for the heads up--I will contact the Human Resources Office responsible for Lineman for Ameren and suggest they lay off about two thirds of them "dead weight Lineman'I would buy a generator for the next storm because your whining butt will need it!
Janet:

Come on if your mom needed a new utility pole behind her house they probably needed alot of people there since they couln't run over her yard with alot of heavy equipment. Those poles are very large and heavy. I have a big 200 year-old oak tree in my back yard get hit by lightning and had to be taken down. You should have seen all the people "I had to pay" to rope and take the tree down piece by piece because they couldn't get any heavy equipment back there. Even with all the people they guys were doing hail mary's hoping that they or the tree were not going to fall.
Janet

Saint Louis, MO

#35 Mar 10, 2007
This is an Illinois problem. Why are we having to deal with posts by people from MO and OH that have no idea what is going on?? I am not a whiner...just stating the facts!
Janet

Saint Louis, MO

#36 Mar 10, 2007
Back to the topic of my mothers utility pole that 17 workers were looking at...that was a month ago and still has not been replaced. It is a straight shot down the alley. No trees, fences, etc. The job is just not getting done...once again! Higher rates and no service.
COCERNED

AOL

#37 Mar 10, 2007
reply to concerned wrote:
They blame Emil because he's the one saying to not allow the freeze and he has a good point - why do so, as you have another freeze with no resolution and once again the bills are going to be even higher.
Emil has sold out southern illinois for funds for his relection a freeze is not a long term answer
but if amern would have lets say 10% a year for 6 years instead of 180% my bill went up in 2 months
Im retired on a fixed income maybe amerens brass
can spread their bonus money down in southern illinois to help the poor
madd

AOL

#38 Mar 10, 2007
lynn wrote:
<quoted text>
EMIL JONES is the reason Ameren is not being stopped. He is one cocky guy. He grew up poor. you would think he would care for others. But apparently he doesnt. How did we get someone like him in the Senate?
you go girl
Harold

Greenville, MI

#39 Mar 10, 2007
Janet wrote:
Back to the topic of my mothers utility pole that 17 workers were looking at...that was a month ago and still has not been replaced. It is a straight shot down the alley. No trees, fences, etc. The job is just not getting done...once again! Higher rates and no service.
Don't worry Janet, those 17 workers (and 683 more) will probably be laid off sometime next week when the senate passes their rate freeze bill. Your mothers utility pole still won't get changed, but at least the dead weight will be gone. I imagine that unless live wires are laying on the ground, Ameren won't be doing any type of work, but once again, at least the dead weight will be gone. And BTW-my ISP is from Indiana, I live in Illinois, so I do know what's going on as far as the rate issue is concerned.
Plainfield Mom

Plainfield, IL

#40 Mar 11, 2007
Harold wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't worry Janet, those 17 workers (and 683 more) will probably be laid off sometime next week when the senate passes their rate freeze bill. Your mothers utility pole still won't get changed, but at least the dead weight will be gone. I imagine that unless live wires are laying on the ground, Ameren won't be doing any type of work, but once again, at least the dead weight will be gone. And BTW-my ISP is from Indiana, I live in Illinois, so I do know what's going on as far as the rate issue is concerned.
And, don't worry, the laid off workers will join the list of poor people who can't afford their power either so that should make you happy!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ameren Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mom Sues Ameren After Boy's Shock, 35-Foot Fall... (Apr '07) Sep '16 mahz 9
News 3 injured in accident at central Mo. nuclear plant (Apr '13) Apr '13 kevan 1
News Ameren asks judge to toss lawsuit over boy who ... (Jun '07) Dec '12 cousin 2
News Massive Blackout Continues in St. Louis (Jul '06) Feb '12 homeboy 3
News Ameren donates $50,000 to Heat-Up St. Louis (Nov '11) Nov '11 ROBERT 1
Lake properties (Oct '11) Oct '11 Carol Fenton 1
News One Dead In Motorcycle Accident In North St. Louis (Sep '10) Sep '10 Big J 45
More from around the web