Rate hike rollback stopped by Senate

Full story: Quad-City Times

The top Democrat in the Illinois Senate again doused hopes Wednesday that the General Assembly might somehow roll back huge electric rate increases.
Comments
1 - 20 of 81 Comments Last updated Oct 29, 2007
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
lillie

Belleville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2007

Emil jones needs to get real. He needs to be removed, how can one man hold an entire state hostage the way he is being allowed to.
response to lillie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2007

why are you blaming him - the government with him excluded is the WHOLE reason we are all in this situation now. Had they NEVER agreed to a 10 year rate freeze or any kind of freeze period, there would have been gradual increases and they NEVER would have come to where they are now.
lillie baugh

Belleville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2007

Last time I checked he was the one stopping the vote. I dont think the rate freeze is a permanent solution but I do know Ameren knew what they were doing and what the fallout would be. They never considered the effect of what they were doing to many people. I have followed this since September and knew about the rate elimination along time ago. I asked Ameren point blank what I was going to do. They said thats just the way it is and you have to deal with it. Now my bill is 300 dollars for one month I',m not asking for a rate freeze but I do want a fair rate. Frozen rates will at least make everyone come back to the table and be sensible about this matter. I can blame Emil Jones for that because it is really his fault. thank you very much.
Plainfield Mom

Joliet, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2007

lillie baugh wrote:
Last time I checked he was the one stopping the vote. I dont think the rate freeze is a permanent solution but I do know Ameren knew what they were doing and what the fallout would be. They never considered the effect of what they were doing to many people. I have followed this since September and knew about the rate elimination along time ago. I asked Ameren point blank what I was going to do. They said thats just the way it is and you have to deal with it. Now my bill is 300 dollars for one month I',m not asking for a rate freeze but I do want a fair rate. Frozen rates will at least make everyone come back to the table and be sensible about this matter. I can blame Emil Jones for that because it is really his fault. thank you very much.
Supposedly the rates are lower today than they were before the rate hike. Trust me, I don't want to spend any more than I absolutely have to but I don't like the government controlling anything.
Bob

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2007

The rates are lower now than before the rate hike? You better adjust your glasses r get your eyes checked. That is absolutely a false and mis-leadong statement.

Our government has and is failing us in this matter. The economy in the state of Illinois is going to go to lows it hasnt seen in years. Business's are already folding, people are already suffering due to this crisis! Ameren was being deceitful, for they new exactly what they were doing. The 10 year freeze was designed to create competition. Ameren made sure competition was not something for them to worry about. They are too big and powerful for anyone to consider this task. That would be similar if I were to open a mom and pop department store next to a WAL-Mart Supercenter! Right!
Plainfield Mom

Joliet, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2007

Bob wrote:
The rates are lower now than before the rate hike? You better adjust your glasses r get your eyes checked. That is absolutely a false and mis-leadong statement.
Our government has and is failing us in this matter. The economy in the state of Illinois is going to go to lows it hasnt seen in years. Business's are already folding, people are already suffering due to this crisis! Ameren was being deceitful, for they new exactly what they were doing. The 10 year freeze was designed to create competition. Ameren made sure competition was not something for them to worry about. They are too big and powerful for anyone to consider this task. That would be similar if I were to open a mom and pop department store next to a WAL-Mart Supercenter! Right!
Bob, first, I do not wear glasses. Second, I was only saying that "supposedly" our rates are lower than they were 10 years ago. It may be a false and misleading statement, however, it is on all their commercials stating why they needed the increase. This is not something I pulled out of my but.

Believe me, I don't trust it for a minute, however, I don't have bills from 10 years ago to double check. I just don't want our government to rule for or against any big business. I want them to stay out of it. They've screwed things up enough.
response to lillie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2007

yes he did the stop the hike because he sees what damage was done from already having a 10 year freeze. you have an additional extended freeze and rates will be even higher the next time. there never should have been a freeze to begin with - I sure as heck wouldn't of wanted my wage increase frozen for 10 years
lillie

Belleville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2007

apparrently you weren't paying power bills in 97. the reason the rates were frozen is because of the grooss disregard for customers then. and as we see ameren is still greedy and has no consideration for its consumers.

the qestion is who will buy their electricity when we have all had our power shut off
Bill

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2007

Plainfield Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob, first, I do not wear glasses. Second, I was only saying that "supposedly" our rates are lower than they were 10 years ago. It may be a false and misleading statement, however, it is on all their commercials stating why they needed the increase. This is not something I pulled out of my but.
Believe me, I don't trust it for a minute, however, I don't have bills from 10 years ago to double check. I just don't want our government to rule for or against any big business. I want them to stay out of it. They've screwed things up enough.
It's hard to justify they need these increase's when the top 5 executives have enjoyed a 90% pay increase from 2003-2005. 2006 is not availabel yet! But how many millions is enough? Ameren has doubled there profit's during that ten year freeze....so if they are blessed with large profits, which they have....WHY???>?:? My point is they are making huge profits! THERE IS NO DAMN JUSTIFICATION other than they are greedy and going to cause disaster for all of us including our economy. So yes the government needs to put road blocks in front of these out of control big business. They are going to destroy this country!!!!!!!!!!
Plainfield Mom

Joliet, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2007

What we need is incentives to get other suppliers here instead of keeping this monopoly? Look at California...the power companies made no money and had rolling blackouts.

We might pay a bit more now, however, this will bring more companies here that are willing to supply power and they will need to compete for our business.

Also, when prices are high there are people who start looking to invent new ways to supply energy and save us money.

In the meantime, I guess we can all shut off lights and unplug devices that we are not using to help save money. I know I'm not as liberal as I used to be with keeping all the lights on. This may also be a good thing for our environment as people will buy more energy saving appliances, light bulbs, etc.

Yes, I would love for the government to tell everyone to not make a profit and give me, give me, give me. But, in the end we will pay!
Response to Lillie

Decatur, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2007

yes I've been paying power bills for a long long time.
Why is it that Ameren is the only focus regarding rate increases - my cable, garbage, water, health insurance, etc have all had major increases -
it's everywhere!
Cahokia

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2007

Mr jones better vote on it this time
our he will be out looking in
Cahokia

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2007

I THINK GOV ROD NEEDS TO LOOK IN TO THIS
HOW MUCH DID AMEREN PAY MR JONES THIS TIME
IMPEACH HIM NOW
COCERNED

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2007

Why MR Jones
lillie

Belleville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2007

Mr. Jones is the one who consistently refuses to vote on this issue. And here is a bit of info for you dynergy is laughing all the way to the bank while everyone is playing tug of war with this issue. Let ameren file bankruptcy, dynergy did it once and is now dealing in only electricity ameren is not the only culprit they are just the one you can see when you read your bill
reply to concerned

Decatur, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2007

They blame Emil because he's the one saying to not allow the freeze and he has a good point - why do so, as you have another freeze with no resolution and once again the bills are going to be even higher.
lillie

Belleville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2007

I blame emil because he could have stopped the cataylst from biginning with a rate freeze. The iccs excuse is pathetic as they pretty much claim they didn't read the fine print. I blame Ameren because they knew exactly what kind of consiquences there were, but blaming isn't changing my bill. Action must be taken. To that extent I think we should all refuse to pay our bills at one time. If they have no customers they at least won't get any complaints. I just hope they do something fast cause I feel like I'm on the titanic at it's going down fast.
Janet

Bridgeton, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2007

In comment to all of those that say "turn off your lights, unplug things, etc. Ok, I did all of that after the last huge bill. Do you what to know what I got??? A bill that was higher then the last one. Where is the justice? I do feel that everyone needs a raise but this is not a raise...Ameren is raping the people and standing back and laughing. Yes my cable bill has gone up and so has my trash bill but it is a few dollars here and there. I don't like it but it is not a 250% increase like I have had with my power bill. I think Emil enjoys seeing the people of Illinois suffer. Wonder what is in it for him........
cahokia mom

Edwardsville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2007

Ameren sucks! If I had another choice, I would take it. Meanwhile my WINTER RATE bill of normally 60 bux is double, I can only look forward to the SUMMER RATES! NOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTT
reply to concerned

Decatur, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2007

Let's all quit buying gas for our cars, groceries, quit watching tv, not talking on the phone, etc maybe that will make the all those prices lower i.e. which means we won't be going to work or doing anything else we enjoy - sound like a plan NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ameren Discussions

Search the Ameren Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
3 injured in accident at central Mo. nuclear plant (Apr '13) Apr '13 kevan 1
Ameren asks judge to toss lawsuit over boy who ... (Jun '07) Dec '12 cousin 2
Massive Blackout Continues in St. Louis (Jul '06) Feb '12 homeboy 3
Ameren donates $50,000 to Heat-Up St. Louis (Nov '11) Nov '11 ROBERT 1
Lake properties (Oct '11) Oct '11 Carol Fenton 1
One Dead In Motorcycle Accident In North St. Louis (Sep '10) Sep '10 Big J 45
Ameren UE Promises $5 Million in Energy Assistance (Aug '10) Aug '10 angie 8
•••
•••