Blagojevich 'on side of the angels' i...

Blagojevich 'on side of the angels' in utility crisis

There are 12 comments on the The Courier story from Apr 4, 2007, titled Blagojevich 'on side of the angels' in utility crisis. In it, The Courier reports that:

“I believe it's like the little boy crying wolf”

Gov. Rod Blagojevich said Tuesday he's standing "on the side of the angels" as he challenged lawmakers once again to send him a bill that will roll back electric rates and reimburse consumers socked with high ... via The Courier

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier.

robert mitchell

Peoria, IL

#1 Apr 5, 2007
I think the board of directors are a big part of the problem, they are over paid and give bad advice. cub never should have let the utility company de-regulate, is good for company and con-men and bad for customers. they should make the utility go back to a regulated company.
response

Decatur, IL

#2 Apr 5, 2007
It is my opinion that the rate hike should of never been in place to begin with - what a mess and it will only get worse if they put it back in place.
what did you expect

Palm Harbor, FL

#3 Apr 9, 2007
The deregulation laws were put in place 10 years ago and CUB was in agreement. There was a chance to let things ease towards more market based pricing back in 2004, but the legislators froze the rates again-which is a move that helped create the current crisis. Now the laws are being followed and everyone's whining. Maybe you should have encouraged the legislators to NOT re-freeze the rates back in '04 when energy prices were less expensive, but then again most of you had no clue that the deregulation laws were in place till your rates went up and now you're all experts.
I Agree

United States

#4 Apr 12, 2007
If Blagojevich signs any bill related to freezing rates he had better be prepared for the state of Illinois to be in the utility business because his signature is going to cost the taxpayers plenty.
JLK

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Apr 12, 2007
What difference does it make...I am getting so sick of the "waiting" game to see what is going to happen that the subject, like my monthly power bill, turns my stomach. There should have been a vote before "spring break" but that would have been too much like the right thing to do. Let's get on with it! This should have all been handled BEFORE the first of the year when the rates went up. Typical Illinois govt....always working to catch up!
teejay

Christopher, IL

#6 Apr 18, 2007
I am a poor old lady and Ameren is killing
me. I am freezing to death because I can't
afford to have the heat on. I don't think
anything is going to be done, feeling hopeless, I can only pray for warm weather
JLK

Saint Louis, MO

#7 Apr 18, 2007
It just upsets me so much to read emails like the last one from teejay. She, along with others should NOT have to be cold or to sacrifice necessities to pay these outrageous bills! Something MUST be done. I don't understand what is taking so long to decide. A decision should have been made before break. Let us know that either we are going to get a break or continue to be "raped" by these people!
John

United States

#8 Apr 19, 2007
In response to the guy whos in lakeland florida and the comments he said .. well first off where are u from ? flordia i see thats not illinois .. u work for ameren or just some rich smuck who can afford to whine toward those getting shafted royally... well bud the cost of living in this area visa what one gets paid are prolly alot less here than where u are from so folks have alot less to spend in this area for one and two not even someone who is disabled can afford to pay for electric which is over 250 a month and food which roughy costs for 1 single person about 200 dollars monthy and lets not forget abouta car which one would need these days to get around that would be over 150 a month for gas and insurance and thats not even a car payment .. well lets see lets do the math 250 for electric 200 for food , 150 for gas /insurance and thats not counting sewer , water , cloths , cleaning supplies etc .. dang thats your whole paycheck and not a dab to take care of anything else u may NEED...Ok now lets take the avg size family and worker and see what we get ... Lets use George as an example who is married to Betty who is a house wife taking care of the two kids thats 4 folks in a 3 bedroom house which avg a total sum of pay of 1600 without taxes taken out and around 1400 with taxes taken out .. ok so thats 1400 dollars for ones monthly salary. So lets see for the avg electic expenses of an avg of 400 a month , about 75 dollars a month for water , a car with payments and insurance for your wife and yourself + gas that would be roughly 500 dollars a month. Ok now lets figure the totals out which come to a total of 975 which leaves u only 525 dollars for your home payment which rougly is a total sum of 50 , 000 which u pay 500 a month on which leaves u 25 dollars ... ok now lets do the math you still have to pay for your kids food at school and still provide for them cloth , and if u have any pennies left at the end of the year u might be able to buy them some hershy kisses for christmas bc u are so broke u cant afford anything else ... well all i can say is im pissed at ameran for taken advantage of every single illinoisan but im most disipointed in our government bc they should understand how this affects lower middle class folks as well as those in disibility ... folks will be climbing higher and higher in debt without no way of getting out bc to succed they would have to be without electric just to survive which many will prolly have to do and they wont survive bc of the heat or cold .... I hold Ameren fully responsible for anyones death bc of this as well as our government for letting this happen ...Oh btw to those that might comment about how ameren is doing what they have to do and that it was coming to us bc of the rate freeze that had happened let me tell u we would be paying alot less if there was other electic companies abroad to compete with these smucks ...
Good ol days

United States

#9 Jul 16, 2007
John wrote:
In response to the guy whos in lakeland florida and the comments he said .. well first off where are u from ? flordia i see thats not illinois .. u work for ameren or just some rich smuck who can afford to whine toward those getting shafted royally... well bud the cost of living in this area visa what one gets paid are prolly alot less here than where u are from so folks have alot less to spend in this area for one and two not even someone who is disabled can afford to pay for electric which is over 250 a month and food which roughy costs for 1 single person about 200 dollars monthy and lets not forget abouta car which one would need these days to get around that would be over 150 a month for gas and insurance and thats not even a car payment .. well lets see lets do the math 250 for electric 200 for food , 150 for gas /insurance and thats not counting sewer , water , cloths , cleaning supplies etc .. dang thats your whole paycheck and not a dab to take care of anything else u may NEED...Ok now lets take the avg size family and worker and see what we get ... Lets use George as an example who is married to Betty who is a house wife taking care of the two kids thats 4 folks in a 3 bedroom house which avg a total sum of pay of 1600 without taxes taken out and around 1400 with taxes taken out .. ok so thats 1400 dollars for ones monthly salary. So lets see for the avg electic expenses of an avg of 400 a month , about 75 dollars a month for water , a car with payments and insurance for your wife and yourself + gas that would be roughly 500 dollars a month. Ok now lets figure the totals out which come to a total of 975 which leaves u only 525 dollars for your home payment which rougly is a total sum of 50 , 000 which u pay 500 a month on which leaves u 25 dollars ... ok now lets do the math you still have to pay for your kids food at school and still provide for them cloth , and if u have any pennies left at the end of the year u might be able to buy them some hershy kisses for christmas bc u are so broke u cant afford anything else ... well all i can say is im pissed at ameran for taken advantage of every single illinoisan but im most disipointed in our government bc they should understand how this affects lower middle class folks as well as those in disibility ... folks will be climbing higher and higher in debt without no way of getting out bc to succed they would have to be without electric just to survive which many will prolly have to do and they wont survive bc of the heat or cold .... I hold Ameren fully responsible for anyones death bc of this as well as our government for letting this happen ...Oh btw to those that might comment about how ameren is doing what they have to do and that it was coming to us bc of the rate freeze that had happened let me tell u we would be paying alot less if there was other electic companies abroad to compete with these smucks ...
The Government should be held responsible for every death that occurs, either the sick smother in the summer or they come down with pnuemonia and die from that in the winter. The Government doesn't really care because its less money they have to spend and it gives them more money to pocket for themselves. Blagojevich does not have the gutts to sign anything to help anybody, it might cost him his job. It looks like we need to go back to the old times of coal stoves for heat in the winter, might be cheaper and keresene lamps for light. Love those old wagon train days. What families are going to have to do to survive is double and triple families into one household. Its going to take in a household 3 and 4 people working to make ends meet.
give me a break

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Jul 24, 2007
How did my grandparents and their grandparents deal with the heat and the cold of their day?
IMHO, we are ALL prettys spoiled and suffering from drama queen syndrome.
give me a break

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Jul 24, 2007
Sorry: IMHO, we are ALL pretty spoiled and suffering from drama queen syndrome.

Also, we should all learn to suck it up some (including the corporate world).
scott from spingfield il

Springfield, IL

#12 Jul 25, 2007
I dont' now for sure this is right but I've just herad Ameren's so called relief plan basically amounts to a $8 discount per month for a few months. What the f*** is this B>S>!!
Totally unacceptable. People lets not forget that for the past 8 months Ameren has CHANGED the lives fo several hundred thousand Illinoisans. For those of you out there that can't or won't see what the big deal is lets try to put in perspective for you. How would you feel if you woke up got ready for your day went to the gas sation to fill your vehicle up
and saw theat gas prices went from 2.85 to 8.55 a gallon?? Still not upset? Try this one then. You wake up get ready for work, stop at your local Starbucks for your ever so loved cup of Whatever instead it ringing up at 2.40 it ca-chings at 7.20. This is what its like for us suffering at the hands of ameren. If none of this affects you then just possible your in the top 5-10% of the weathiest people in the area and have no idea or even concept of how this effects us. For Scott Cisel and other top ameren exec. plus Mr. Emil don't forget for one moment we're the ones who wash your cars,clean you houses,cook and serve your food were the ones who make your luxurios lives possible back us in a coner for to long and we will bite back one way or another.+

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ameren Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mom Sues Ameren After Boy's Shock, 35-Foot Fall... (Apr '07) Sep '16 mahz 9
News 3 injured in accident at central Mo. nuclear plant (Apr '13) Apr '13 kevan 1
News Ameren asks judge to toss lawsuit over boy who ... (Jun '07) Dec '12 cousin 2
News Massive Blackout Continues in St. Louis (Jul '06) Feb '12 homeboy 3
News Ameren donates $50,000 to Heat-Up St. Louis (Nov '11) Nov '11 ROBERT 1
Lake properties (Oct '11) Oct '11 Carol Fenton 1
News One Dead In Motorcycle Accident In North St. Louis (Sep '10) Sep '10 Big J 45
More from around the web