Ameren not blinking in power fight

Full story: Chicago Sun-Times

Ameren Corp. refused to budge Tuesday on its decision to cancel a relief plan for customers and begin planning cutbacks, despite pressure from state regulators worried about soaring electricity prices.
Comments
21 - 38 of 38 Comments Last updated Aug 7, 2007
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dont forget this guys

Osage Beach, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2007

Immediatly after the rate hike...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/business/sto... ?

Ameren awards its top 5 executives nearly 1 million dollars EACH...Cold hard CASH! Other high ranking Ameren guys also received a lump sum cash bonus. The total payout was somewhere in the ballpark of 4.5 million dollars. I would imagine most of that cash came from the January utility bills you and I paid!
Some may agree the rates should go up but I say not 3 to 4 hundred percent as was in some cases (I have a modest home and a small family and mine went up 220%). But I do say this, after the rate hike, it was a slap in our faces when Ameren dumps that much cash into the executives pockets while at the same time balking over any relief for the little people trying to figure out how they will pay their utility bill.
SHAME ON YOU AMEREN!!!!!
Sassafras

Mcleansboro, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2007

I agree, SHAME ON YOU, AMEREN for once again shafting the middle class person because of your greed and SHAME ON YOU, POLITICIANS, for letting your greed allowing this to happen to the people who trusted you by voting you into office. WAY TO GO !!
Calm down

Parker City, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2007

I Agree wrote:
I understand your feeling on this. 300% is just not exceptable! Like I said, my bill went up only $32/38 so the increase didn't really bother me. I didn't get your bill or I would be every bit as upset as you. I don't understand not only why but how can they consider this ignorant less than exceptable way to threaten the people of Illinois and the members of their own workforce! They posted profits indeed and they also fixed the books to make sure they all got real nice tidy bonuses this year. My husband who is a glorified ditch digger has been with Cilco/AES/Ameren for 26 years was not given his bonus, supposedly using the very same standards they considered when it was time to hand out bonuses among themselves. Lets talk benefits! These men have shitty pensions, they pay premiums for their health, vision, dental and prescription insurance that goes up each year. Their employer can call them in at anytime and force them to go to work. Nothing has been given to these men/women that keep the gas & electric on. They work long and hard trying to make life easier for all. They absolutely do NOT get payed to go to the Dr. They do however let them give blood during work hours if needed. They don't have sick days, they have vacation days given at the normal years worked formula that is pretty much standard among employers. If they need to go to the doctor they do it on their own time or they take a vacation day. Keeping in mind of course they can be forced to work so even a doctors appointment made on your own time is up for grabs without notice! Your people that talk that work for Ameren also tell you they get a big discount on their bills too? They don't!
Your husband is in a union employee correct. It sounds like you need to take your problems up with your local. When the contract comes up they need to ask for and get their demands. If they don't they should strike. And don't they pay time and half and double time when working storm? Our company worked on the Ameren ice storms this winter and they paid us very good. Everyone is mad at Ameren when they were not even in IL when the rate freeze took place. Blame the politicians. I am on a cooperative in IL and they have raised our rates each year and we are all right. Over the years we have always paid more than the investor owened consumers but did we throw a fit like every one is doing now. NO
traindriver

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2007

Another case of corporate greed and political coruption. Ameran will do it, and the politicians, who had a chance to keep things reasonable, sat on thier asses and did exactly nothing. Anyone who goes to a poll and casts a vote for anyone who now is in office deserves more of the same. My guess is that you haven't seen anything yet.
I Agree

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2007

Calm down wrote:
<quoted text>
Your husband is in a union employee correct. It sounds like you need to take your problems up with your local. When the contract comes up they need to ask for and get their demands. If they don't they should strike. And don't they pay time and half and double time when working storm? Our company worked on the Ameren ice storms this winter and they paid us very good. Everyone is mad at Ameren when they were not even in IL when the rate freeze took place. Blame the politicians. I am on a cooperative in IL and they have raised our rates each year and we are all right. Over the years we have always paid more than the investor owened consumers but did we throw a fit like every one is doing now. NO
Unions have little power these days. I have no problem other than the threat of massive layoffs which very well could put my husband in a dangerous situation! Yes, they get paid overtime they just won't get much sleep. You misunderstand, I am not complaining about the $, I am concerned about the safety if mass layoffs are made! My view does not have anything to do with the rate increase, I can pay my bill!
Sassafras

Mcleansboro, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2007

Heard this morning on the radio that they will be shutting off power to people who have not paid the bills starting April 1st...but actually won't shut the power off until the 10th...that is REALLY big of them !!

So people will die from not being able to afford their medicine because they had to pay their electric bill, what kind of a world do we live in?????????
really mad

Champaign, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2007

Sassafras wrote:
Heard this morning on the radio that they will be shutting off power to people who have not paid the bills starting April 1st...but actually won't shut the power off until the 10th...that is REALLY big of them !!

So people will die from not being able to afford their medicine because they had to pay their electric bill, what kind of a world do we live in?????????
Let them shut the power off to some elderly couples home, or someone that has children in the home or someone that has special medical needs that run on electricity or the fact that if someone has a medical emergency, say heartattack and cant use their phone to call a ambulance because the power is off....If someone dies by their action of turning off their power then Ameren will be the ones paying thru law suits.
Linda

Edwardsville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2007

By initially offering "plans" for people to be able to defer or finance their increased rates, Ameren knew that the actual increases were going to be far greater than 55%. I think this is called fraud. Perhaps there will be layoffs, but I've been there and done that, and seemed to have bounced back. There is no competition because the competition was bought out. People cannot continue to keep paying high prices for gas, electricity, insurance, etc. Sooner or later there's no money in the pot! Believe me, we all know those 2-3% pay increases don't go very far. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure they pay for the increased price in groceries. Where will it all end?
I Agree

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2007

Years ago when I heard about the electric rate freeze, I thought great I could use a little extra cash in my pocket. Didn't know or care why, just knew it would cost me less. Now, no matter how much I personally don't like paying these electric bills, I now know about the strings that were attached. I believe deregulation was a mistake! I am not placing blame, but there is plenty to go around. I don't understand why people are so pissed at Ameren except that they are the ones that send your bills. As long as Amerens hands are clean, I am willing to take my licking now thank you. However, I demand this mistake be fixed and I mean really fixed! If Ameren did something illegal they should and will be held accountable. I would say the AG and the ICC had better get moving. Until then, I will continue to pay my bill each month. If there turns out to be another freeze it won't affect my bill because guess who is going to have this tied up in court for years? And in the end, provided Amerens hands being clean, they will win! I am not a fan of Amerens, I just have half a brain and know that a company can't sell for less than purchase price for very long. I can promise you that if Ameren lays off all these people there are going to be big problems. Then who are you going to blame? I will be blaming the people that didn't look ahead and just wanted their bills lowered and didn't care who had to take the hit just as long as they didn't have the integrity to suck up their licking this time! If eveyone felt like I do then aid for the disadvantaged would not even be an issue, that was offered from the start!
Yep I Hear Ya

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2007

really mad wrote:
I put in a all electric home 1 year ago(thinking this would be cheaper). Every light in my home have the energy efficient bulbs. I never leave anything on when I leave the house. I went on line this morning to see what my new bill was. My jaw hit the desk.
"323.00" Last year at this same time my bill was 148.00. Ameren has targeted my home for their " I'm gonna get rich" idea. If I didn't need electricity to live I would tell then to shove it.
"We all need to back our government officails in their effort to roll back the Ameren rate hike"
We went all electric too, thinking we'd save $$ becuz of their promise... our normally $200 in the thick of winter bill went to $500!! OUCH!!! I think they are trying to KILL us...:0(
Yep I Hear Ya

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2007

Pissed Off Pete wrote:
Ameren set the ALL ELECTRIC customers up. For the past 10 years they have been ENCOURAGING people to go all electric. That it would be more effecient and always cheaper. I was actually told that by AMEREN! But little did I know that I was being punked(as they say now). All I know is years ago , someone would have an ass whip coming. Alot of people are talking about a pickett at AMEREN. Any body game and want to make a sign and walk?
Yep we are definetly getting a good "PUNKING" :0(
Whats the problem

Danville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2007

$500 electric bill? What size house do you people live in? Sorry if 16' ceilings make your 3000 sq ft shoddily-built McMansion expensive to heat and cool, but that's not Ameren's fault.
I have a 1000 sq ft home that is not well insulated at all and my combined Ameren gas + electric bill is fairly steady now around $65 (gas heat, though). Half of that bill is taxes and fees.
angry father and husband

Lansing, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2007

ameren says the rates will go down next month, i will believe when i see it...
Illinois=corrupt
pissed off

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2007

Calm down wrote:
<quoted text>
You can blame the politicians all you want. Ameren said the highest that anyone's rates would go up would be 55%, of course they didn't say a thing about the loss of the 15% discount for being all electric. Right now our budget billing has doubled from last year and we're still behind by $400. If Ameren had been honest about this deal in the first place it wouldn't piss most everyone off, but THEY LIED, and then don't act like they did. I don't need the rates to be frozen, let them come up to the 55% they said they'd be.
pissed off

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2007

Whats the problem wrote:
$500 electric bill? What size house do you people live in? Sorry if 16' ceilings make your 3000 sq ft shoddily-built McMansion expensive to heat and cool, but that's not Ameren's fault.
I have a 1000 sq ft home that is not well insulated at all and my combined Ameren gas + electric bill is fairly steady now around $65 (gas heat, though). Half of that bill is taxes and fees.
Your a jerk!! Most everyone I know who has all electric has had bills at least in the $400+ range. My in-laws have 8 ft ceilings 2000sq. ft. and keep the house around 70. Their bill was over $400 for Jan and Feb each. They don't live high and the hog. Screw you
Worried sick

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2007

Let Ameren shut off my electricity and see what I'll do. There are homebound sick invalids and handicaps using machines for breathing, I see alot of wrongful death lawsuits filed in the near future. There will not be an electric company named Ameren and somebody especially the politicians need to get off their butts and start standing up for the people and sign into law to put a cap on such increases.
Alt Power

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2007

http://www.altpowerllc.com

You have options don't put up with it anymore
SCOTT

Herculaneum, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2007

Alt power"you have options" not if your checking/savings is depleted trying to pay Ameren

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ameren Discussions

Search the Ameren Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
3 injured in accident at central Mo. nuclear plant (Apr '13) Apr '13 kevan 1
Ameren asks judge to toss lawsuit over boy who ... (Jun '07) Dec '12 cousin 2
Massive Blackout Continues in St. Louis (Jul '06) Feb '12 homeboy 3
Ameren donates $50,000 to Heat-Up St. Louis (Nov '11) Nov '11 ROBERT 1
Lake properties (Oct '11) Oct '11 Carol Fenton 1
One Dead In Motorcycle Accident In North St. Louis (Sep '10) Sep '10 Big J 45
Ameren UE Promises $5 Million in Energy Assistance (Aug '10) Aug '10 angie 8
•••
•••