Ameren not blinking in power fight

Ameren Corp. refused to budge Tuesday on its decision to cancel a relief plan for customers and begin planning cutbacks, despite pressure from state regulators worried about soaring electricity prices. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
slobo

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#1 Mar 21, 2007
Blago should "Illinoize" (Nationalize) Ameren. Screw 'em. If they can't profitably manage the cpmpany for the good of their customers...Illionize them!!! It is obviously a management probelem at Ameren! Let the State of Ellanioise manage the company!
Sassafras

Belle Rive, IL

#2 Mar 21, 2007
AMEREN is blackmailing the people of Illinois. They are going to cancel the "relief plan" IF the government pushes through the rate freeze. Woopy doo.....the way I read it, it was a ONE TIME payment so the rate freeze would be a better deal! So WHO is going to pay the rest of the bills in the coming months of the fixed income people, the disabled and those who just can't pay their bills because they escalated 300%. Come on Ameren, justify, your bonus payments and your profit to these people who are struggling to pay the electric bill........you need to give more than what you are giving to the people. When the bills were only supposed to go up $2.00 a day(which figures out to be $62.00 for a month with 31 days) and instead they went from $200.00 to $600.00, DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT IS FAIR AND JUSTIFIED? How do you expect Illinoisans to swallow that hogwash, the people you are dealing with are not stupid.

It is time for the legislators and Ameren to come to the table without the chips on their shoulders and settle this mess and it is a mess !!!
PlentyTiredof thisMess

Peoria, IL

#3 Mar 21, 2007
If the gov. pushes thru a rate freeze we won't need a "relief plan". A one time payment of $5.00. Woopy doo.... I could care less about the $5.00 payment they can keep it as long as they let me watch that Scott Cisel squirm! I will even go a step further and say I don't really care that much about the rate increase, it only cost me around $40.00 monthly. As far as I am concerned they can keep that each and every month from January to eternity if they would fire Mr. Mouthpiece and hire a decent thinking feeling moral person to run the company who will think of others instead of his own pocket.
Michael Gray

Kinmundy, IL

#4 Mar 22, 2007
The rate increase has TRIPLED my utility bill.

Ameren is raping my family's budget.

If these rate increases are necessary, they should have been brought in phases rather than all at once.

Ameren has about as much concience as a tobacco company. If I believed in hell I'd feel safe saying their top people will be going there.
Common Sense

United States

#5 Mar 22, 2007
Illinois politicians passed a law ten years ago that required:

1. Ameren divest generation; which it did.
2. Ameren freeze rates for ten years; which it did while its costs kept going up.
3. Ameren to go out for power bids from the marketplace in the fall of 2006; which it did; and power bid was 30% higher than prior ten year old rates... not surprising...
4. Ameren to pass these bid power rates to the Illinois customer in Jannuary 2007; which it did.

So thank you Illinios politicians for the jump in rates vs. gradual 3% increase per year....

So now you want Ameren, without power generation, to buy power and sell it to you at 30% below cost so you can keep your power rate the same.

Shame on you!!!!!!!!!!
Reply to Common Sense

Decatur, IL

#6 Mar 22, 2007
AMEN!
I Agree

Peoria, IL

#7 Mar 22, 2007
I tend to agree with Common Sense too! The magnitude of the problem for people is getting to me tho! I hate to see hard working people dealing with such a hardship. While the increased rates have not bothered me in the least, my concern is the layoffs Ameren have announced if this freeze goes thru. My husband works for Ameren, he will not get layed off but plenty of hard working decent people in his department will get the ax. I would personally hold out for a real solution that will protect the customers against such a thing happening again. Delaying the problem won't solve it. I am keeping my fingers crossed that along with the Senate Bill that probably will pass some real long term solution is found.
Concerned

United States

#8 Mar 22, 2007
First of all, Ameren told us our rate would go up 50%, it has gone up 300%.
Second of all, I don't understand why Ameren would have to lay off anyone for any reason. They posted profits of billions. Lets talk benefits. These men have benefits upon benefits. They get paid for going to the Dr. They don't have to take a sick day or anything. So, what I think is going on here is some scare tactics.
How do I know, enough people work for Ameren that talk.
I Agree

Peoria, IL

#9 Mar 22, 2007
I understand your feeling on this. 300% is just not exceptable! Like I said, my bill went up only $32/38 so the increase didn't really bother me. I didn't get your bill or I would be every bit as upset as you. I don't understand not only why but how can they consider this ignorant less than exceptable way to threaten the people of Illinois and the members of their own workforce! They posted profits indeed and they also fixed the books to make sure they all got real nice tidy bonuses this year. My husband who is a glorified ditch digger has been with Cilco/AES/Ameren for 26 years was not given his bonus, supposedly using the very same standards they considered when it was time to hand out bonuses among themselves. Lets talk benefits! These men have shitty pensions, they pay premiums for their health, vision, dental and prescription insurance that goes up each year. Their employer can call them in at anytime and force them to go to work. Nothing has been given to these men/women that keep the gas & electric on. They work long and hard trying to make life easier for all. They absolutely do NOT get payed to go to the Dr. They do however let them give blood during work hours if needed. They don't have sick days, they have vacation days given at the normal years worked formula that is pretty much standard among employers. If they need to go to the doctor they do it on their own time or they take a vacation day. Keeping in mind of course they can be forced to work so even a doctors appointment made on your own time is up for grabs without notice! Your people that talk that work for Ameren also tell you they get a big discount on their bills too? They don't!

Since: Oct 06

Danville, Il

#10 Mar 22, 2007
Michael Gray wrote:
The rate increase has If I believed in hell I'd feel safe saying their top people will be going there.
Michael, I do, and I will.
Concerned

United States

#11 Mar 23, 2007
I would say that if your bill only went up $32/$38 then you do get a discount on your bill, compared to mine. Why does one house only go up so much compared to another? My husband also works in a service industry where he gets called out at all hours. Its their job. We aren't complaining about the men who do the job, we are complaining about the greedy corporation behind the men. I don't want any jobs lost, but there is room for improvement as you just said, they cooked the books for the bigwigs to get bonuses, so they aren't hurting as bad as they say they are, are they? At some point the American people, Illinoisans right now need to put their foot down and stop these greedy top level a**holes.
Mike

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Mar 23, 2007
My bill barely went up as well, from $40 to $50. I agree with common sense. This is the State's fault, not Ameren's. I'm not sure why everyone's rates didn't go up the same percentage. I'm guessing the power is billed higher the more you use, like a graduated sale. Something like the first 100 units are $50. The next 100 are $75. Next 100 are $100, and so on. Therefore, someone who doesn't use much energy doesn't get hit much, those who use a lot more get hit even harder.(note, none of these numbers are correct, I'm just making up an example).
Anyway, if you freeze prices for ten years, you should expect to get huge sticker shock when the freeze ends. Apparently our state government never took economics. Rate freezes do not work. Never have, never will. Prices need to be set based on the actual cost to produce and deliver the energy.
Mike

Brooklyn, NY

#13 Mar 23, 2007
BTW, I'm from Normal, don't know why it sais NY.
Concerned

United States

#14 Mar 23, 2007
That is what is so hard to understand. It is just my Husband and I. We have a programmable thermostat and keep our heat quite low during the day and night. I did check to make sure it was still working. LOL
I agree it is the states fault, but when they say 50%, 100% and above is not acceptable. But I also think something should be done on the amount of profits these companies are allowed to make off the back of their citizens.
I Agree

Peoria, IL

#15 Mar 23, 2007
I have gas heat. In the summer my bill will go up. I have always been one to dislike the feel of my home being closed up. I like my windows open so I don't use much electricity during the summer months. It is not my husbands job to be on call 24/7. As far as Ameren being hard up I doubt it. I agree that the shoe needs to be dropped on greedy companies. If Ameren is taking the customers for a ride they did it with the governments approval. These gov. people have reacted to these increased rates as if Ameren is the only one at fault. They folded when the people showed up at their office waving their bills. Convincing them that they would get them a freeze and a refund again. The truth is they are not going to get either. They have been taking the hard working people of Illinois for a huge ride on this one. It is a politician problem. We need to be a little more informed when we register our votes at the polls. The days when you can trust the people you put in office are over. They don't care in the least about us. They sound like they can be trusted with our best interest but that is a falsehood. If they were going to continue the freeze it would have been done in November. Putting these utilities in bankruptcy is going to cost us plenty. The only glitch in this is if Ameren has dirty hands with this auction. Then Ameren should and will be held accountable. We are going to pay more for gas & electric in the future that is a given. The free ride is over! If you don't like those apples then remember that when its time to cast your ballot.
really mad

Champaign, IL

#16 Mar 24, 2007
I put in a all electric home 1 year ago(thinking this would be cheaper). Every light in my home have the energy efficient bulbs. I never leave anything on when I leave the house. I went on line this morning to see what my new bill was. My jaw hit the desk.
"323.00" Last year at this same time my bill was 148.00. Ameren has targeted my home for their " I'm gonna get rich" idea. If I didn't need electricity to live I would tell then to shove it.

"We all need to back our government officails in their effort to roll back the Ameren rate hike"
Pissed Off Pete

Saint Louis, MO

#17 Mar 24, 2007
Ameren set the ALL ELECTRIC customers up. For the past 10 years they have been ENCOURAGING people to go all electric. That it would be more effecient and always cheaper. I was actually told that by AMEREN! But little did I know that I was being punked(as they say now). All I know is years ago , someone would have an ass whip coming. Alot of people are talking about a pickett at AMEREN. Any body game and want to make a sign and walk?
just wondering

United States

#18 Mar 24, 2007
really mad wrote:
I put in a all electric home 1 year ago(thinking this would be cheaper). Every light in my home have the energy efficient bulbs. I never leave anything on when I leave the house. I went on line this morning to see what my new bill was. My jaw hit the desk.
"323.00" Last year at this same time my bill was 148.00. Ameren has targeted my home for their " I'm gonna get rich" idea. If I didn't need electricity to live I would tell then to shove it.
"We all need to back our government officails in their effort to roll back the Ameren rate hike"
How much was your gas bill?
Sassafras

Belle Rive, IL

#19 Mar 24, 2007
There was a news cast tonight on channel 6, a couple is building a house, not even living in it. Their first bill they got was $15.00 and then they got one for $450.00, how does Ameren justify this? Plus, the news is reporting that the ceo got 4.3 million dollars last year(wonder if he declared all of it on his income tax) with all his bonus' and stocks, etc, he got a $250,000(not exact) CASH bonus at Christmas, I'm sure the people of Illinois are thrilled that he had such a nice Christmas when most of them didn't get bonus' at all or lost their jobs. Then to be hit with the electric bills that were sent out when it was only supposed to be a couple dollars a day difference......who lied?
really mad

Champaign, IL

#20 Mar 26, 2007
just wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
How much was your gas bill?
ALL ELECTRIC

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ameren Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
3 injured in accident at central Mo. nuclear plant (Apr '13) Apr '13 kevan 1
Ameren asks judge to toss lawsuit over boy who ... (Jun '07) Dec '12 cousin 2
Massive Blackout Continues in St. Louis (Jul '06) Feb '12 homeboy 3
Ameren donates $50,000 to Heat-Up St. Louis (Nov '11) Nov '11 ROBERT 1
Lake properties (Oct '11) Oct '11 Carol Fenton 1
One Dead In Motorcycle Accident In North St. Louis (Sep '10) Sep '10 Big J 45
Ameren UE Promises $5 Million in Energy Assistance (Aug '10) Aug '10 angie 8

Ameren People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE