Community Leaders Back Low Cost Airli...

Community Leaders Back Low Cost Airline Initiative

There are 9 comments on the WHNT News 19 story from Mar 1, 2010, titled Community Leaders Back Low Cost Airline Initiative. In it, WHNT News 19 reports that:

Huntsville received high accolades from economic publications like Forbes and Kiplingers last year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHNT News 19.

tibor

Dunlap, TN

#1 Mar 1, 2010
If you local news companies want an investigative story, dig deep into the greed of the people running HSV airport and you will have quite the story. The cost for carriers to operate do not stem from anything other than the greed of this airport. Landing fees alone are what costs these airlines so much to operate. Look into it and you will have a great story.
Jbama174

AOL

#2 Mar 1, 2010
Hello. I am from the shoals area. I have noticed the fares at HSV is really high. I think that if SWA or Airtran could bring alot new customers to our area. It would make flying alot cheaper from HSV and also the Muscle Shoals airport. WE need competition to bring the prices down. Lets support a new airline coming in to HSV and do our best to bring them aboard.
Gaboo

West Point, GA

#3 Mar 1, 2010
So, we can see the response here to the latest efforts to obtain a low cost carrier. As the first poster stated, follow the money at the Jet Plex. Maybe they should apply to McGregor for one of his BINGO parlors to make a few more bucks. I for one do not approve of these grants from the FEDS to the airport authorities to splurge in gaining more passengers into the area. Since I retired in 2006, I have not had to fly out of HSV since then. Flying is not cheap. The airlines have to make money or else they cannot survive.
RJinBama

Montgomery, AL

#4 Mar 2, 2010
Flying is not cheap anywhere there are some companies that even charge you for a pillow now. I think having a low fare airline would be great it would bring more money into the city as well as few more direct flights for us. I just flew bach from CA last week and the airport fees were about the same there as they were here.
Also to me it seams silly to not want to fly out of HSV because of the fees being to high. I mean by the time you pay for gas to either Birmingham or Nashville and pay for the parking the cost will be a lot more than flying out of HSV! Besides that after a long flight I would not want to drive 2 hours to get home.
It would be nice if they can get Jet Blue to come in. I just moved here from CA and I loved flying with them!!!
tibor

Dunlap, TN

#5 Mar 2, 2010
The thing is that the airport has people believing a low cost carrier will help stimulate competition. This is not true. Remember Independence Air? When they operated out of HSV, the main carriers still had much higher prices. The airlines are operating at minimal of profits out of HSV due to what they have to pay in order to operate.

Ask yourself this:

Did HSV REALLY need to extend 18R to 12,500ft? 18L not long enough at 10,000?

Does HSV have to look like a hub with all the redesigns going on?

All of this is possible not because of these grants but because the airlines pay an arm and a leg to fly from here. Southwest will not come to HSV as it makes no sense for them to fly to BHM, HSV, AND BNA. So that one is a lost cause. And any other low cost will tread lightly when dealing with HSV because the airlines know the reputation this airport has and most likely pass them by in the air going towards BHM.

Seriously. These news stations need to ask WHY is it so expensive to fly from HSV, not reporting that they are asking for low cost. It if filled with greed and that is the simple truth to it all.
Mike

Huntsville, AL

#6 Mar 2, 2010
If we get a decent low cost carrier I will drop Delta like a bad habit. I would love to see AirTran or Southwest come to town.
Mary Dunne

Huntsville, AL

#7 Mar 2, 2010
I am very excited about the low-cost carrier coming to Huntsville. It is very expensive for me to get to Tampa right now without going out of town. I also plan to go to NY in the summer and would love a cheap fare out of Huntsville.. Thank you all for trying your best to get a low-cost carrier to come to Huntsville.
tibor

Dunlap, TN

#8 Mar 2, 2010
Gaboo wrote:
So, we can see the response here to the latest efforts to obtain a low cost carrier. As the first poster stated, follow the money at the Jet Plex. Maybe they should apply to McGregor for one of his BINGO parlors to make a few more bucks. I for one do not approve of these grants from the FEDS to the airport authorities to splurge in gaining more passengers into the area. Since I retired in 2006, I have not had to fly out of HSV since then. Flying is not cheap. The airlines have to make money or else they cannot survive.
And the only reason the airlines operate out of HSV is for the government contracts. Leisure travel is something airlines care not about in the long run and thus why they tolerate an airport like this one.

It wont matter if an airline comes in with 10 dollar fares, the other airlines will not compete with these rates in any shape or form because of the contracts and the fact that it costs so much for them to operate. The only thing they would look at would be to farm out their employees to work any new operation if it doesnt bring it its own people.
Luthais

Vicksburg, MS

#9 Mar 2, 2010
I would definitely use a low-cost carrier if one came into town. I have friends/family in San Francisco, Portland, and Orlando that I would love to visit on a regular basis, but I am not willing to pay the insane ticket prices.

I am curious as to how they came to the conclusion that HSV is more expensive. Is the because comparable tickets are more expensive, or because the average ticket is more expensive? If the later, could it be because the average flight is longer or goes to other more expensive airports?

Personally, I always thought the prices were a bit high myself, but I always prefer substantial data over a vague impression.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

ADTRAN Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Click sound with our adtran IAD boxes (Feb '09) Feb '09 russ 1
More from around the web