Wal-Mart to acquire both SuperValu & ...

Wal-Mart to acquire both SuperValu & Albertsons

Posted in the Albertsons Forum

Derek

United States

#1 Aug 3, 2006
Everyone has good news ... Wal-Mart will complete the acquisition of SuperValu and Albertsons brands around next year on Memorial Day, which buys out 2,550 locally-owned "SuperValu-Albertsons " grocery stores for re-branding as expanded/re-modeled Wal-Mart Supercenters, which were a chain of hypermarkets that carry everything Wal-Mart Discount Stores do in addition to full-line supermarkets.

All 2,550 Wal-Mart supercenters (which were a replacement of locally-owned "SuperValu/Albertsons " grocery stores), also feature a garden center, a full-service pharmacy, a family fun center, a SunTrust financial center, hair and nail salons, video rental by either Movie Gallery or Hollywood Video, a branch from a local bank, a tire and oil change shop, an optical store, a 1-hour photo processing lab, a portrait studio, and a food court with full-menu McDonald's.

Around next year on Memorial Day, Wal-Mart Stores will cease building any locally-owned "SuperValu/Albertsons " grocery stores, but will now only build 150,000 square-feet discount stores and 250,000 square-feet supercenters instead. Also, the Albertsons and SuperValu brands will be phased out by Wal-Mart Stores around two years later on Labor Day.

All 2,550 Wal-Mart supercenters (which were a replacement of locally-owned "SuperValu/Albertsons " grocery stores), average from 200,000 to 250,000 square-feet, opens 24 hours per day and 7 days per week, and has 30 full-service checkouts.

With many "Toys 'R' Us/Kids 'R' Us" stores that are to be closed, the "Toys 'R' Us Toy Box" department with a full-line of toys and games will be located in any Wal-Mart store by either additional 150,000 square-feet discount stores or nearly 250,000 square-feet supercenters. Around two years later on Labor Day, there will be a total of over 6,000 Wal-Mart stores in the United States (5,000 Wal-Mart supercenters and 1,000 Wal-Mart discount stores).
Pat Wood

United States

#2 Aug 10, 2006
Where do you get your idiotic information from? Are you just stirring up another rumor or are you just stupid?
Derek wrote:
Everyone has good news ... Wal-Mart will complete the acquisition of SuperValu and Albertsons brands around next year on Memorial Day, which buys out 2,550 locally-owned "SuperValu-Albertsons " grocery stores for re-branding as expanded/re-modeled Wal-Mart Supercenters, which were a chain of hypermarkets that carry everything Wal-Mart Discount Stores do in addition to full-line supermarkets.
All 2,550 Wal-Mart supercenters (which were a replacement of locally-owned "SuperValu/Albertsons " grocery stores), also feature a garden center, a full-service pharmacy, a family fun center, a SunTrust financial center, hair and nail salons, video rental by either Movie Gallery or Hollywood Video, a branch from a local bank, a tire and oil change shop, an optical store, a 1-hour photo processing lab, a portrait studio, and a food court with full-menu McDonald's.
Around next year on Memorial Day, Wal-Mart Stores will cease building any locally-owned "SuperValu/Albertsons " grocery stores, but will now only build 150,000 square-feet discount stores and 250,000 square-feet supercenters instead. Also, the Albertsons and SuperValu brands will be phased out by Wal-Mart Stores around two years later on Labor Day.
All 2,550 Wal-Mart supercenters (which were a replacement of locally-owned "SuperValu/Albertsons " grocery stores), average from 200,000 to 250,000 square-feet, opens 24 hours per day and 7 days per week, and has 30 full-service checkouts.
With many "Toys 'R' Us/Kids 'R' Us" stores that are to be closed, the "Toys 'R' Us Toy Box" department with a full-line of toys and games will be located in any Wal-Mart store by either additional 150,000 square-feet discount stores or nearly 250,000 square-feet supercenters. Around two years later on Labor Day, there will be a total of over 6,000 Wal-Mart stores in the United States (5,000 Wal-Mart supercenters and 1,000 Wal-Mart discount stores).
dan

Draper, UT

#3 Aug 13, 2006
this guy is just plain stupid, walmart would never aquire supervalue. they will just destroy them like they do every other business. hey you dumb ass people who shop walmart, some day you will be shopping yourself out of a good job. oh well you can then go work for them at 6.50 per hour.at least you will get your welfare health insurance the taxpayers pay for.
OfficeWorker

Boise, ID

#4 Aug 14, 2006
This Derek guy works for Wal-Mart and this is just another marketing strategy that he has come up with. Go ahead and shop at Wal-Mart and you to can live the dream of scrubbing their toilets for 6.50 an hour and no benefits. But at least you might save a dollar.
The informer

Austin, TX

#5 Sep 14, 2006
Hey derek pull your head out.Wal mart will be the demise of not only our economy but also our way life.
Wal mart sucks and so do you loser!
Mark

Drexel Hill, PA

#6 Mar 29, 2008
I have worked for Supervalu as a former member of Super G and Stop and Shop. These stores may or may not be bought out by Wal-mart but there is no doubt that they are struggling. I see everyday how badly these stores are failing. The end of the Supervalu era is near.
meanie

Irving, TX

#7 Apr 17, 2008
OfficeWorker wrote:
This Derek guy works for Wal-Mart and this is just another marketing strategy that he has come up with. Go ahead and shop at Wal-Mart and you to can live the dream of scrubbing their toilets for 6.50 an hour and no benefits. But at least you might save a dollar.
I TOTALLY AGREE ON THAT ONE!!!!!!!!!
SOME BIG WIG FROM KROGER CAME TO OUR STORE WITH RUMORS,AND TRYING TO RECRUIT.
I FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE THAT ALBERTSONS AND ALL OTHER CHAINS UPPERS ALL GET TOGETHER IN POW-WOWS AND SHARE INFO
randy

Latrobe, PA

#8 Mar 16, 2010
plain and simple wall mart sucks now and will always suck . i cant wait for the day someone bigger than wall mart puts a beating on them
Robert

Glen Burnie, MD

#9 Feb 21, 2011
dan wrote:
this guy is just plain stupid, walmart would never aquire supervalue. they will just destroy them like they do every other business. hey you dumb ass people who shop walmart, some day you will be shopping yourself out of a good job. oh well you can then go work for them at 6.50 per hour.at least you will get your welfare health insurance the taxpayers pay for.
==========
WAL-MART is affordable and has better quality than the crap many of the super markets put on the shelves. If WAL-MART is so horrible how is it that they have many 15, 20 and 30 year career employees in all levels of positions?
I will shop WAL-MART for everything I need because it is what I can afford AND it is a great place!!
Gregory Fletcher

Honolulu, HI

#10 May 24, 2012
I work for Walmart, I am an employee of that soulless, horrid company.

When I first saw this, I almost wanted to cry! Albertsons employees have a job and workplace that we at my store envy! Walmart openly despises their employees and ESPECIALLY their customers!

They are Satan, the great blue hitler, and NO ONE wants this to ever happen!

As a member of the OURWalmart Organization, me and several thousands throughout the country are working hard to make Walmart a company that recognizes and respects the humanity of their workers and the communities they operate in. I will fight to the DEATH to get for us what Albertsons employees already enjoy.

On a closing note, there are Associates of my Walmart store who have actually lost their lives due to the treatment they recieve from that horrible place. I pray for the prosperity and success of every union establishment from sea to shining sea!
Gregory Fletcher

Honolulu, HI

#11 May 24, 2012
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>
==========
WAL-MART is affordable and has better quality than the crap many of the super markets put on the shelves. If WAL-MART is so horrible how is it that they have many 15, 20 and 30 year career employees in all levels of positions?
I will shop WAL-MART for everything I need because it is what I can afford AND it is a great place!!
As I mentioned in another post, I work for Walmart. You are gravely mistaken in your perception of how Walmart treats their workers.

You are free to shop Walmart all you like, but know that you are avidly supporting a place that kills their workers (NO, I am NOT hyperbolizing here), hates their customers enough to not bother providing staff to help them, robs the local economy MILLIONS of dollars through tax evasion and other legal shenanigans, and puts out life insurance policies on their workers.

I love my country enough to not buy there when I can afford it.
Cruzin SLC

Saint George, UT

#12 Dec 23, 2013
Walmart doesn't acquire- they build. They drive the competition out. Then lower their footrint. Now, Don't you feel silly for posting this?
Sheri

Glenwood Springs, CO

#13 Apr 27, 2014
dan wrote:
Actually, a merger gives them a higher power to phase out whoever they want because they now own them. But by Memorial day next year Albertson's and Safeway will already be merged. Maybe that is the merger that they hope will keep them in business and not under Walmart's foot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albertsons Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Declining conditions at Albertsons in Washington (Apr '11) Jul '16 NOTworthit 12
News Save Mart buys Albertson's stores (Nov '06) Jun '16 Walmart 196
Albertson's truck drivers (Jul '07) May '16 704driver 24
Albertsons pay back lawsuit (May '07) Oct '14 meisteri 6
What is going to happen to our albertsons 401 k... (Feb '13) Oct '13 tama kirkpatrick 3
News Investor group buying Albertson's in deal (Jan '06) Sep '13 Need to know 14
Cerberus BIDS for select A&P banners (Sep '13) Sep '13 Cerberus Albertso... 1
More from around the web