Southwest: Layoffs not part of AirTra...

Southwest: Layoffs not part of AirTran merger

There are 6 comments on the Business Journal story from Jul 6, 2011, titled Southwest: Layoffs not part of AirTran merger. In it, Business Journal reports that:

Southwest appointed Jordan as president of AirTran in May, shortly after Southwest bought the Orlando-based airline for $1.4 billion.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Business Journal.

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#1 Jul 6, 2011
They never are if you want government approval. Wait for it.............
RWG

Dillsboro, IN

#2 Jul 7, 2011
That is so great to see that Southwest A/L is doing the right thing and not laying off Air Tran's employees.
When UPS bought out Custom Ait Transport back in 2006, the first thing they did was lay off all of CAT's employees and put us all out of work. Pilots, aircraft mechanics, everyone. Thanks UPS !
Love those logistics !
Beef Stew

Houston, TX

#3 Jul 8, 2011
The only thing being laid off is the low airfares. Now that they own the competition, watch prices rise.

Since: Aug 09

Chicago, IL

#4 Jul 9, 2011
Prost wrote:
They never are if you want government approval. Wait for it..........
The approval was granted long ago. The deal is finished... Southwest ramp are already working AirTran flights in some cities.

Since: Aug 09

Chicago, IL

#5 Jul 9, 2011
On the other hand though, while Southwest isn't setting out to lay anyone off - where redundancies occur the incumbent Southwest employees will remain in the positions. Note the key word Airtran employees will be given "opportunities". Many may have to relocate or accept different positions altogether, and for a good number of them it won't be practical. So while there will be no formal "layoffs", many will be forced to find new employment. I would imagine that a good number of them WILL relocate though, because frankly it's worth it.

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#6 Jul 9, 2011
airlineguy wrote:
On the other hand though, while Southwest isn't setting out to lay anyone off - where redundancies occur the incumbent Southwest employees will remain in the positions. Note the key word Airtran employees will be given "opportunities". Many may have to relocate or accept different positions altogether, and for a good number of them it won't be practical. So while there will be no formal "layoffs", many will be forced to find new employment. I would imagine that a good number of them WILL relocate though, because frankly it's worth it.
Symantics. We won't lay you off, but if you want a job you have to move. Been there done that. I moved. If your kid is in school or your spouse has the good job it may not be practical. SW pays well Airtran wasn't know for thier payscale. It's not a knock on SW. Every airline in every merger has done the same thing, and always will. The next move is the relocating of assets to maximize revenue, and drop less productive routes. They won't layoff then either they will offer early retirements, and realocate staffing. I'm just sick of spin.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

AirTran Holdings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Now departing: AirTran Airways flies off into t... (Dec '14) Jan '15 Peoples Distress ... 2
News Southwest: You're now free to leave the country (Jul '14) Jul '14 ramp rat 2
News Southwest Airlines to launch international flights (May '14) May '14 john 22
News Southwest now flying to all of AirTrana s U.S. ... (Nov '13) Nov '13 E 190 pound gorilla 1
News Southwest to Offer Flights from Richmond, Norfolk (May '13) May '13 huck 3
News Southwest to start flying from CLT next Sunday (Apr '13) Apr '13 whatever 1
News Today only! Airfare sale from MSP; one-ways fro... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Angry White Unite... 1
More from around the web