AirTran lands at LVIA

AirTran lands at LVIA

There are 24 comments on the The Morning Call story from Apr 9, 2009, titled AirTran lands at LVIA. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

AIRTRAN AIRWAYS What: AirTran Airways will offer round-trip, nonstop flights from Lehigh Valley International Airport to Orlando and Fort Lauderdale , starting June 25.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LVBizCoach

Allentown, PA

#1 Apr 9, 2009
Nice work LVIA! Your collective efforts to add AirTrain to the airline roster is greatly appreciated by frequent travlers here in the Lehigh Valley. Great job!

Tony D'Angelo
www.LehighValleyBusinessCoach.com
Toad

Kernersville, NC

#2 Apr 9, 2009
Finally some good news out of LVIA !
NoCrap

Bethlehem, PA

#3 Apr 9, 2009
Yawn....it wont last.
Joe

Quakertown, PA

#5 Apr 9, 2009
Finally! Good work LVIA
Professor Chaos

United States

#6 Apr 9, 2009
comment wrote:
Get off LVIA and George's back.
NEVER!! BWAAAhahahah!!

Just kidding, definetily opens some new vacation possibilities.
Les in the Pocs

Lewes, DE

#8 Apr 9, 2009
My bet is that by December of this year they go wheels up one last time here.
Truth can hurt

Allentown, PA

#9 Apr 9, 2009
For anyone flying alone, using ABE is probably the best choice. Even if a single payer pays $100 more for ABE as compared the Newark, Philadelphia, it's a good buy.

In terms a family travel (4-5 tickets), the benefit of ABE will be less clear, but still worth a serious look.

By the way, using ABE to Charlotte, first, is a very good experience. That's a comfortable, efficient airport, and with good food!
comment

Korea

#10 Apr 9, 2009
Les in the Pocs wrote:
My bet is that by December of this year they go wheels up one last time here.
More reason to get your flights now and book your vacation. It beats driving to Florida. If they sell enough seat early, it gives them another day, week, month of existence of these flights. I anticipate they will do pretty good. LVIA has a draw of about 30 miles so they should be able to get good flow of summer vacationing to Florida market.
test

United States

#11 Apr 9, 2009
test
so what

Flint, MI

#12 Apr 9, 2009
?
Joe

Charlotte, NC

#13 Apr 9, 2009
This is a great step by LVIA to actually go for and land a reputable carrier. This is very similar to what AirTran did over at Harrisburg. First they started with service only to Orlando and just recently announced service to Atlanta.
NoCrap

Bethlehem, PA

#14 Apr 9, 2009
I hope you are right. Just as it pained my heart to see LV mony going to AC...it too pains me to see everyone flying out of other airports.
comment wrote:
Round-trip costs
May 1 - May 8th
You can now fly direct from Allentown to:
Atlanta, GA $251 (worth flying out of ABE)
Charlotte, NC $329 (still worth flying out of ABE)
Chicago, IL $297 (worth flying out of ABE)
Cleveland, OH $368 (borderline case of seek lower cost or drive)
Detroit, MI $259 (worth flying out of ABE)
Ft. Lauderdale, FL $184 (worth flying out of ABE)
Ft. Myers, FL $261 (worth flying out of ABE)
New York, NY $280 (take the bus, unless you get a deal on connecting flights)
Myrtle Beach, SC $184 (worth flying out of ABE)
Orlando, FL $136 (worth flying out of ABE)
Philadelphia, PA $298 (drive or take the bus, wish ABE had more destinations so I would not have to use that lousy airport)
Tampa, FL $163 (worth flying ABE)
Washington, DC $313 (drive or take ACCELA from Philly)
International
Toronto, Canada $736 (wish the price was better, I actually make drive or go from different airport).
In some cases, ABE is convienient and has competitive prices. If anything, the model is tourism destinations for leisure travel and a very good analysis of demand based upon origination zip code to figure out what business routes would make sense.
As I stated previous, I think in post-economic recovery, LVIA is going to capture 4 new routes within the next 5 years.
I think Jacksonville, FL and Nashville, TN make the most sense because of distance, economic clusters as well as toursim destinations.
I hope George gets those deals done sooner rather than later.
Common Sense

United States

#15 Apr 9, 2009
comment wrote:
...Great news and great prices.
Atlanta, GA
Charlotte, NC
Chicago, IL
Cleveland, OH
Detroit, MI
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Ft. Myers, FL
New York, NY
Myrtle Beach, SC
Orlando, FL
Philadelphia, PA
Tampa, FL
Washington, DC
International
Toronto, Canada
What I am hoping for next. If we could get 4 more of these 19 destinations within the next 5 years, I would be ecsatic for LVIA...
Unfortunately, I don't see this happening. Take another look at your list. By my count, 8 of the 13 domestic destinations are only on the list because they are hubs for one or more major airlines. Flights to these cities are not scheduled because the number of people going from Allentown to these cities is sufficient, but because of the number of people connecting to other flights supports the route.

The remaining five (Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Myers, Myrtle Beach, Orlando, and Tampa) are all vacation destinations and are able to generate enough passengers to operate. With the exception of Las Vegas (and possibly Los Angeles, which you did not mention), I don't see any of the other destinations you mention as being profitable routes.

I just don't see how direct city to city flights from Allentown can be profitable, unless the city is a major vacation destination. There just aren't enough business travelers flying out of the airport, and I don't see that changing.

I'm also concerned that flights to four different Florida destinations and doubling up on the Orlando run will not ultimately be supportable out of ABE. While it's a great situation for flyers since I'm sure there will be some fare wars between Allegiant and AirTran, I just don't see it lasting very long. Unfortunately, I think Allegiant will be out of the airport within a year or two (and with them will go three of the direct destinations - Myrtle Beach, Ft. Myers, and Tampa).

Don't get me wrong...I love LVIA/ABE and fly out of it any chance I get - it's a very nice small airport. I just think you are being a little unrealistic in your hopes/expectations.
Common Sense

United States

#16 Apr 9, 2009
comment wrote:
Round-trip costs
May 1 - May 8th
Atlanta, GA $251 (worth flying out of ABE)
Charlotte, NC $329 (still worth flying out of ABE)
Chicago, IL $297 (worth flying out of ABE)
Cleveland, OH $368 (borderline case of seek lower cost or drive)
Detroit, MI $259 (worth flying out of ABE)
Ft. Lauderdale, FL $184 (worth flying out of ABE)
Ft. Myers, FL $261 (worth flying out of ABE)
New York, NY $280 (take the bus, unless you get a deal on connecting flights)
Myrtle Beach, SC $184 (worth flying out of ABE)
Orlando, FL $136 (worth flying out of ABE)
Philadelphia, PA $298 (drive or take the bus, wish ABE had more destinations so I would not have to use that lousy airport)
Tampa, FL $163 (worth flying ABE)
Washington, DC $313 (drive or take ACCELA from Philly)
International
Toronto, Canada $736 (wish the price was better, I actually make drive or go from different airport).
In some cases, ABE is convienient and has competitive prices. If anything, the model is tourism destinations for leisure travel and a very good analysis of demand based upon origination zip code to figure out what business routes would make sense.
As I stated previous, I think in post-economic recovery, LVIA is going to capture 4 new routes within the next 5 years.
I think Jacksonville, FL and Nashville, TN make the most sense because of distance, economic clusters as well as toursim destinations.
I hope George gets those deals done sooner rather than later.
Not a bad breakdown on flights, and I agree with most of your assessments.

Unfortunately, for anyone flying to any other destination than those you mention, rates for flying out of ABE are much higher. This is due to the airline pricing structure for connecting flights, and the "per segment" federal fees that almost appear to be designed to hurt small airports. Combine higher prices with the inconvenience of changing planes and layovers, and you have a powerful disincentive for people to fly out of ABE if they are going to any destination not on your list.

Unfortunately, these are all factors out of the airport's control, and I just don't see them changing in the forseeable future.
LV to SC

Columbia, SC

#17 Apr 9, 2009
I would love to see them add ATL or CLT. If they add ATL then you can hook into the entire Air Tran network. I frequently fly from CLT to ABE on US and I enjoy it, however, the fare is frequently high as US is the only carried offering non-stop service between CLT and ABE. Air Tran to CLT would force the prices down on that route.
Katie

Bethlehem, PA

#18 Apr 9, 2009
This is fantastic news! I hope they add Atlanta very soon!
Honky Lips

Allentown, PA

#19 Apr 9, 2009
Something finally landed
at ABE that IS big news!!
Honky Lips

Allentown, PA

#20 Apr 9, 2009
By the way LVI is in
Livingstone, Zambie, South Africa.

ABE is that Rinky-Dink,teeny-weeny, Micky Mouse airstrip along airport road near Rt-22.

Saying ABE is LVI won't make it true.

you tag your bag "LVI", it's going to Africa.
You tag your bag "ABE" ,It'll go to Allentown.
Drew

Whitehall, PA

#21 Apr 9, 2009
Katie wrote:
This is fantastic news! I hope they add Atlanta very soon!
Delta does ABE to Hartsfield Jackson (ATL) non stop for $261 round trip.
Got to be kidding

Nazareth, PA

#22 Apr 9, 2009
Boy are you in let field, this is a minor good thing, Trans Air was here befor and left. So did alot of others with the same managment. Time for a change...... Look at the study that was done a lot of one sided on LVIA's part.
comment wrote:
As I keep saying, it is slowly becoming know that Allentown MSA region is not some sleeply little town of 100,000. It is a six county distincive region seperate from New York CMSA and Philadelphia CMSA.
Lehigh, Northampton, Berks, Monroe, Carbon, Schuylkill are nearly 1.5 million and would place Allentown in Top 40 MSA in the United States.
JFK, Newark, LaGuardia and Philadelphia are near capacity. LVIA is going to be a long-term winner for air traffic.
Yes, prices are high now. Yes, we are off 5 year peak of 1 million passengers, but LVIA will blow right past 1 million passengers when the economy rebounds.
Great news and great prices.
Atlanta, GA
Charlotte, NC
Chicago, IL
Cleveland, OH
Detroit, MI
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Ft. Myers, FL
New York, NY
Myrtle Beach, SC
Orlando, FL
Philadelphia, PA
Tampa, FL
Washington, DC
International
Toronto, Canada
What I am hoping for next. If we could get 4 more of these 19 destinations within the next 5 years, I would be ecsatic for LVIA. Despite the criticism, they run in the black and they are expanding service while most midsize airports are losing routes and losing money. Get off LVIA and George's back.
Friday and Sunday roundtrips.
1. Montreal
2. Bermuda
3. Bahamas
4. Iceland
Daily/or Weekend Only
1. Jacksonville, FL
2. Savannah/Hilton Head, SC
3. Raleigh/Triangle Park, NC
4. Nashville, TN
5. Indianapolis, IN
6. Memphis, TN
7. Las Vegas, NV
8. Dallas, TX
9. Houston, TX
10. San Antonio, TX
11. St. Louis, MO
12. Minneapolis, MN
13. San Diego, CA
14. San Francisco/Oakland, CA
15. San Jose, CA

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

AirTran Holdings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Now departing: AirTran Airways flies off into t... (Dec '14) Jan '15 Peoples Distress ... 2
News Southwest: You're now free to leave the country (Jul '14) Jul '14 ramp rat 2
News Southwest Airlines to launch international flights (May '14) May '14 john 22
News Southwest now flying to all of AirTrana s U.S. ... (Nov '13) Nov '13 E 190 pound gorilla 1
News Southwest to Offer Flights from Richmond, Norfolk (May '13) May '13 huck 3
News Southwest to start flying from CLT next Sunday (Apr '13) Apr '13 whatever 1
News Today only! Airfare sale from MSP; one-ways fro... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Angry White Unite... 1
More from around the web