Josie Betts

Columbus, OH

#2144 May 3, 2014
They are known by their fruit. In chapter six we discover an additional indication of spiritual abusiveness-majoring on minors and neglecting what is truly important. Spiritually abusive leaders and systems take uncompromising stands on items of little importance while neglecting issues of significance. They may possess strong views about styles of dress and wine at dinner, for instance, but care little about justice and love. True shepherds, however, make love of God and love of people their priority. In chapter seven we will discuss who gets hooked by spiritual abuse and why. We look at the emotional needs of the victims as well as the psychology of the perpetrators. Chapter eight is devoted to God's cure for spiritual abuse for perpetrators and victims alike. Here we find how the abuser and the abused are delivered from their mutually destructive relationship through God's powerful grace. The last two chapters describe the healthy servant leader. The nonabusive church leader is not weak or passive but strong and full of authority. Yet this authority arises not from seizing power but from serving. Nonabusive leaders serve well by lifting burdens off shoulders, by promoting others, by opening wide the door of the kingdom of God's grace and by feeding nourishing spiritual food to God's people. Several of the early reviewers of this book observed that it seems to be addressed to more than one audience. One pastor said, At first I thought the audience of the book was those who had been spiritually abused. As I read it, however, I found myself looking at the material from different perspectives. At times I was a pastor learning to counsel someone who had been abused, sometimes I was a church leader who needed to guard against the attitudes or actions which could lead to abuse. At other times I asked myself if a past event in my church wasn't in fact spiritual abuse. In fact, the book does speak to a range of audiences, primarily because the Scripture on which it is based is addressed to different audiences. In Matthew 23 Jesus speaks to at least two groups of people-spiritual abusers and their victims. Scripture is often helpful to different groups for different reasons. It is also often helpful to the same person for different reasons. I hope that the same will be true of this book-but I have tried to make it clear which group I am addressing at each point along the way.
Ken Blue. Healing Spiritual Abuse: How to Break Free from Bad Church Experience (Kindle Locations 124-138). Kindle Edition.
Josie Betts

Columbus, OH

#2145 May 3, 2014
Let me say a final word to readers who are victims of spiritual abuse. This book will most likely heighten your awareness of what you suffered and (for a time at least) intensify the pain. If the pain promotes healing, well and good. But if it incites bitterness toward the abuser or an abusive institution, then you will be worse off than before. As angry as Jesus was toward the spiritual abusers of his day, he stood ready to forgive them in an instant. His own power to forgive resides within us, and we are wise to avail ourselves of it. Jesus said, "In the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" (Mt 7:2). He also said, "All who draw the sword will die by the sword" (Mt 26:52). When someone criticizes his own profession (as I have done in this book), he holds that sword of criticism by its sharp blade so that as he wields it the first blood drawn is his own. I am the pastor of a church and therefore a possible spiritual abuser. In writing this book, I became aware of my own potential to abuse and, I hope, have become less likely to do so. I pray that those who read this book will receive the same benefit. It is the half-Christian clergy of every denomination that are the cause of the so-called failure of the church. George MacDonald Ethics are for dream land. Power is for reality. A leader must have power to control his environment and get things done. A modern business executive The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses'seat. Jesus Christ

Ken Blue. Healing Spiritual Abuse: How to Break Free from Bad Church Experience (Kindle Locations 138-147). Kindle Edition.
Hey

Columbus, OH

#2146 May 5, 2014
Josie Betts - stop wrote too long! People can't sit and read too long. If you want to write too long so writing in BOOK!
agree

Hilliard, OH

#2147 May 5, 2014
Hey wrote:
Josie Betts - stop wrote too long! People can't sit and read too long. If you want to write too long so writing in BOOK!
Amen!
Attender

Lewis Center, OH

#2148 May 5, 2014
Amen write a shorter dialog
inquiring minds

Hilliard, OH

#2149 May 5, 2014
What is the latest with BS and TCAP? Why was he in jail again?
Agree

Columbus, OH

#2150 May 5, 2014
I agree way too long and no one wants to read that, also he's not in jail, try and keep up.
Mike Tyson

United States

#2151 May 6, 2014
Honestly, why does everybody care?? He's basically hell-bent on destroying his life.
Double take

New York, NY

#2153 May 6, 2014
"ILUVKIM" plates have been replaced with "BENIFER" plates ?!?!?!?!?!
Josie Betts

Columbus, OH

#2154 May 6, 2014
too long to read... that's weird in a conversation thread that is currently 2,088 messages long.
Just trying to light a candle instead of curse the darkness.
Bennet's abusive reign of drunken terror is a blight on Christ's Church, it was a Cancer on the Body of Christ, and it has hurt every church in this city. The cause of Christ has been compromised.
I am just trying to move past bitterness, snark, and one liners.
I would love to see all that have been used and abused By Bennett's unhealed childish narcism move on.
For those of you who want to see Justice and Healing for the Beam family... Gather your money, hire a kick but lawyer, and help him and his children find healing and safe boundaries from bennett
No amount of bitching on this forum will help. Pony up your $$$
Many of you willingly, and sometimes blindly supported Bennet over the years.
Frankly, the lack of accountability is not typical of C-Bus Churches. It is a shame that many of you have let Bennet inform your opinion or practice of church.
Get a new Church... Never trust a leader that is not willing to give full disclosure on past failings.
I guess that would include people who unknowingly enabled Bennett and Kim and Paul's Behaviors over the years.
Hey

Columbus, OH

#2155 May 6, 2014
Josie Betts - Enough!
confidential

Cleveland, OH

#2156 May 6, 2014
Hey wrote:
Josie Betts - Enough!
"Hey", why are you so intolerant of josie betts?
Insane

Columbus, OH

#2157 May 6, 2014
You all are insane. Obsessing over one man...wahhh you are hurt and betrayed, join the club. Deal wiith it and move on. Stop being a victim and regain control. If you want to continue posting on a blog to heal your issues fine, but you're going nowhere and need serious help
Really sad

Columbus, OH

#2158 May 6, 2014
Insane wrote:
You all are insane. Obsessing over one man...wahhh you are hurt and betrayed, join the club. Deal wiith it and move on. Stop being a victim and regain control. If you want to continue posting on a blog to heal your issues fine, but you're going nowhere and need serious help
What are you doing on here then?
bLinD sPoTs

Cleveland, OH

#2159 May 6, 2014
Insane wrote:
Thank you, dr. Phil.
Hey

Columbus, OH

#2160 May 6, 2014
confidential wrote:
<quoted text>
"Hey", why are you so intolerant of josie betts?
Because she wrote too long story. I told her enough! I don't care. She should write a BOOK!
confidential

Cleveland, OH

#2161 May 6, 2014
Hey wrote:
<quoted text>Because she wrote too long story. I told her enough! I don't care. She should write a BOOK!
How much of JB's story did you read?
Hey

Columbus, OH

#2162 May 6, 2014
confidential wrote:
<quoted text>
How much of JB's story did you read?
Most of it and too long reading!
Check court dockets

Columbus, OH

#2163 May 9, 2014
Is manny finally getting wise to what we have known all along? What do you all make of that?
blazing saddles 2014

New Albany, OH

#2165 May 9, 2014
What happened?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Armed Contractor on Elevator with President 4 hr Hope N Change you... 65
Neil Diamond returning to Columbus 5 hr Columbus 1
Allie Mongar 6 hr Whenthepartisover 1
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 6 hr Free Pizza 4 U 3,585
Hocking College Student Found Dead In Columbus 6 hr anonymous 1
Connecticut: Democrat arrested Voter Fraud 7 hr Black Rhino 14
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 7 hr NRA_RWNJ 31,513
Xenos Christian Fellowship is a CULT! (Jul '12) 7 hr Praying for Change 964
Catman Dave 9 hr They cannot kill ... 30
Dear Duke (Got a problem, I've got your solution) 11 hr Duke for Mayor 105
Columbus Dating
Find my Match

Columbus Jobs

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]