Christie's Next Act: National Trailblazer ...

Posted in the Columbus Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#1 Mar 1, 2013
Christie's Next Act: National Trailblazer or Regional Flop?
By Scott Conroy - March 1, 2013

Whether they love him or loathe him, just about everyone involved in Republican politics has a strong opinion about Chris Christie.

To some, he serves as exhibit Exhibit A for how the party can regain its mojo. A charismatic, blunt-spoken conservative who remains popular at home and poised for an easy 2013 re-election in a deep-blue state, Christie has found success because of his zeal for budget cutting and taking on entrenched interest groups, not despite it.

In the opinion of others, especially if the Jersey Shore is only something they’ve seen on television, Christie has become a GOP turncoat -- a gun-grabbing, Obama-hugging, self-aggrandizing, liberal-in-disguise who helped cost Republicans the White House in 2012 and may do so again in 2016.

How the tides of Christie’s political fortunes flow will say much about the GOP’s overall course.

After surging onto the national radar screen upon his victory in the 2009 New Jersey gubernatorial race, Christie has spent much of the next three years relishing his role as one of the most sought-after Republican speakers and campaign surrogates from coast to coast.

A brash, northeastern Republican whose Jersey Guy temperament and modulated ideology might once have consigned him to being a regional pol, Christie has been greeted with adulation among many of the same deeply conservative Republicans in the nation’s heartland who never warmed to the likes of Rudy Giuliani or Mitt Romney in the last two presidential primaries.

Christie’s 2010 appearance in Iowa on behalf of gubernatorial candidate Terry Branstad was a typical case in point. The Bruce Springsteen-obsessed New Jerseyan brought the house down with a YouTube-ready, attitude-heavy riff and left Branstad making Ronald Reagan comparisons about his friend from the Northeast.

To this day, some Iowa Republicans are eagerly eyeing Christie’s potential return to the state in advance of a 2016 presidential run.

“Chris Christie will always be a rock star within our party, and he has endeared himself with many Iowans, so he will be welcomed here with open arms,” said Branstad’s communications director, Tim Albrecht.“Iowans understand that he has an election to win in New Jersey first, but we look forward to seeing him on the trail again here soon.”

But not every Republican in the nation’s first voting state is waiting with bated breath for Christie’s second act.

RCP reported in November that at least two of the Iowa GOP fundraisers who had previously attempted to persuade Christie to enter the 2012 race had since soured on him, citing a perceived lack of enthusiasm for Romney in his keynote speech at the Republican National Convention and the New Jersey governor’s full-throated embrace of President Obama in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy just days before the election.

The Christie bashing in some GOP circles has only increased in the months since then, as Christie first spoke out against the National Rifle Association in the wake of the Newtown school shooting massacre, and then became the latest Republican governor to accept funding for Medicaid expansion under the national health care reform law, which he had opposed.
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#2 Mar 1, 2013
2/2

Earlier this week, Christie was snubbed from the star-studded GOP invitation list at CPAC, the nation’s largest annual gathering of conservative activists. That decision left even some right-leaning analysts who have criticized Christie in the past shaking their heads.

Conservative commentator Charles Krauthammer decried CPAC’s slight as a “vast overreaction,” while AllahPundit marveled on the conservative website Hot Air that the move was “practically an in-kind contribution to his gubernatorial campaign” because of the way in which it highlighted Christie’s independent streak.

Despite the pushback, CPAC’s decision emphasized the extent to which Christie has become anathema in some party circles and demonstrated how much work he’ll have to do to rebuild his reputation among many of the deeply conservative voters who hold sway in the Republican presidential nominating process.

Even in traditionally moderate-leaning New Hampshire -- the early voting state where Christie’s potential 2016 candidacy once seemed to be the best fit -- he may have to dig himself out of a hole.

“Conservatives have several concerns about his positions on traditional issues,” said New Hampshire Republican strategist Mike Dennehy, who helmed John McCain’s 2008 GOP primary victory in the Granite State.“And his coziness with Obama so close to the election last year left a bad taste in the mouths of many Republicans.”

Dennehy added that Christie does maintain a base of support in the state and that his own version of McCain-style “straight talk” retains its appeal among independent-minded New Hampshirites.

But in the first-in-the-South primary state of South Carolina, Christie’s breaks from GOP orthodoxy would be even more deeply felt.

Still, South Carolina GOP political consultant Chip Felkel suggested that Christie would have a chance to regain his former clout, even in the heart of Dixie.

“His straightforwardness is, I think, very appealing to a lot of independents, and to some Republicans who are concerned about the far right, Tea Party direction,” Felkel said.“He is betting on the short memory of most voters and that some of these things will be addressed.”

In an interview with National Review earlier this week, Ken Langone -- the billionaire Home Depot founder and a prominent Christie donor—-- used particularly frank language to defend Christie’s presidential viability.

“To the critics, I say,‘Give me a break,’” Langone said.“If conservatives are going to criticize him for doing what’s right for his state, then we’re on our way to becoming a minority party.”

It’s just the kind of assessment that has tended to reinforce Christie’s popularity in his home state, and it is a sentiment that has been used many times before to argue the case for GOP White House hopefuls who hail from blue states and emphasize practicality over orthodoxy.

But it is also precisely the kind of argument that has fallen on deaf ears among national Republicans in past presidential races.

The growing divide over Christie’s future in the Republican Party comes at a time when many previously resistant elements within the GOP have for the first time come around to the idea that the party will need to change both its message and its messengers in order to win in 2016.

Christie may end up being just the right man for just the right time in a rapidly changing Republican Party, or he could become merely the latest ambitious GOP politician to succumb to the unshakeable “moderate” label.

Read more: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/201...
Follow us:@RCP_Articles on Twitter

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#3 Mar 1, 2013
Fatboy is a dirty gun banner, the worst of the RINOs.

What do some not understand about "98% with Cuomo"
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#4 Mar 1, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
repeat:

Still, South Carolina GOP political consultant Chip Felkel suggested that Christie would have a chance to regain his former clout, even in the heart of Dixie.

“His straightforwardness is, I think, very appealing to a lot of independents, and to some Republicans who are concerned about the far right, Tea Party direction,” Felkel said.“He is betting on the short memory of most voters and that some of these things will be addressed.”

In an interview with National Review earlier this week, Ken Langone -- the billionaire Home Depot founder and a prominent Christie donor—-- used particularly frank language to defend Christie’s presidential viability.

“To the critics, I say,‘Give me a break,’” Langone said.“If conservatives are going to criticize him for doing what’s right for his state, then we’re on our way to becoming a minority party.”

It’s just the kind of assessment that has tended to reinforce Christie’s popularity in his home state, and it is a sentiment that has been used many times before to argue the case for GOP White House hopefuls who hail from blue states and emphasize practicality over orthodoxy.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#5 Mar 1, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
repeat:
If he's nominated, the GOP will get results like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_federal...

Fatboy is the end of the GOP, gun banners are not electable.

He cannot flip/flop like Romney did, that inconsistency was a major reason behind his loss.

He is clear where he stands, "straightforwardness "
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#7 Mar 1, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
If he's nominated, the GOP will get results like this
I didn't say whether he should or shouldn't be nominated. I'm just making fun of all the conservaTARD lemmings who all march lock step with whatever your masters tell you.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for not having Christie at CPAC if you're going to have the likes of Romney and Jeb Bush there.
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#8 Mar 1, 2013
You cannot kill a Spook wrote:
Christie's sucking off Obama's sphincter is reason enough he will never get my support. He anti gun stance is reason enough as well. I don't give three options of how to screw me to a candidate.
Only thing I want to see Christie on is a gallow not a ballot.
Christie's number one job is to get reelected.

Name another republiTARD who has accomplished as much as he has.

Even Scott Walker and Kasich can't claim to have a smaller budget than they had in 2008.

I want results, not cute slogans on Faux News.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#9 Mar 1, 2013
Christie's sucking off Obama's sphincter is reason enough he will never get my support. He anti gun stance is reason enough as well. I don't give three options of how to screw me to a candidate.
Only thing I want to see Christie on is a gallow not a ballot.
Kill your political enemies. Where have I heard that before?

woof

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#10 Mar 1, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Kill your political enemies. Where have I heard that before?
woof
Alec Baldwin: "If we were in another country ... we would stone Henry Hyde to death and we would go to their homes and kill their wives and their children. We would kill their families, for what they're doing to this country."
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#11 Mar 2, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>
Alec Baldwin: "If we were in another country ... we would stone Henry Hyde to death and we would go to their homes and kill their wives and their children. We would kill their families, for what they're doing to this country."
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/sunday-revi...

woof
Ben Casey

Cincinnati, OH

#12 Mar 2, 2013
Republicans are not conservative, priapic libertine boy.

Republicans are lead by neo-conservatives, evil swine that are very similar to libertine pinheads like you. Like you, they too are always spouting nonsense about how the fedgov is supposed to protect "your rights".
Ben Casey

Cincinnati, OH

#14 Mar 2, 2013
Wasn't Christie the slobbering princess that begged for and received multi-billions of taxpayer funds to give to his rich people in New Jersey whose beachfront properties were destroyed by hurricane Sandy?

Christie had his tongue up the behind of Obama trying to get taxpayer nuggets for the rich beachfront property owners in New Jersey.

I can imagine why some rump rangers would approve of Christie, probably admiring all the junk in his trunk.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#15 Mar 2, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
Coward. You stepped in it and your deflection is pathetic.
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#16 Mar 2, 2013
<quoted text>
I want someone who follows the constitution and cuts spending. Cut spending but be a subject instead of a freeman not worth a pinch of shit. See bob you don't mind communism so long.as you are at the head of the daily ration line.
You are incorrect.

We have NEVER had capitalism in this country, starting with free land to Western settlers, free land to railroads and utilities, to support for farmers that date back to the 1800's. In fact our MOST SUCCESSFUL INDUSTRIES, manufacturing, technology and medicine, received plenty of handouts from big government.

What about the Interstate highway system ... more big government. NASA ... private industry didn't build that one, either. Arena District? Lots of government money went there ...

You see, Spook, I look beyond slogans, especially after being screwed by the Republicans over the last 30 years. I LOVE capitalism in theory, but capitalism has always been a myth.

So, if Christie wants CONSTITUTIONALLY ALLOWABLE gun restrictions in densely populated places like Jersey, as long as the voters support him who am I to tell him what is and isn't acceptable.

Any Sicilian who was a federal prosecutor and cut his teeth going after the mob has a lot of cred, as far as I'm concerned. Any governor who actually has a budget that is smaller today than it was in 2008 also gets a lot of cred in my opinion.

Who are you going to hire to do work for you? A "conservative" or someone who actually gets results?
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#17 Mar 2, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
I don't know about that. Cuomo hasn't exactly won very many friends by getting tough with the unions.

Cuomo had a big hand in causing our mortgage meltdown, that disqualifies him more than what he's done as governor. But voters (the same people you think should be encouraged to carry guns) who can't connect the dots between our mortgage meltdown and the time he spent at HUD. They thought his work earned him a promotion.

But then again, Republicans never do a good job calling these people out, either. So they're as much to blame as anybody else.
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#18 Mar 2, 2013
Ben Casey wrote:
Wasn't Christie the slobbering princess that begged for and received multi-billions of taxpayer funds to give to his rich people in New Jersey whose beachfront properties were destroyed by hurricane Sandy?
Christie had his tongue up the behind of Obama trying to get taxpayer nuggets for the rich beachfront property owners in New Jersey.
I can imagine why some rump rangers would approve of Christie, probably admiring all the junk in his trunk.
Well, among those rich property owners were also a lot of modest people who live paycheck to paycheck and lost everything. Yeah, I get the fact that they live in a high risk area and all that, but should people lose everything they have because of a freak storm?

Tough decision.
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#19 Mar 2, 2013
P.S. For all you gun rights people, we are all aware of how enlightened some of our founding fathers like Jefferson and Franklin were.

If they were around and writing up the Constitution today, do you think they would not understand the difference between the dynamics in a densely populated urban area and a rural area?

Yes, they would stand for the right to bear arms. But don't you think they would have pushed to have things tweaked a little?

I am for the right to bear arms, 100%

But reasonable restrictions?

Should any dumbass have the right to carry a gun onto a plane? That's a pretty densely populated and dangerous place, isn't it? That's a reasonable restriction, isn't it?

Can't you argue that having a gun in Camden NJ isn't much different than bringing one onto a plane?
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#20 Mar 2, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, among those rich property owners were also a lot of modest people who live paycheck to paycheck and lost everything. Yeah, I get the fact that they live in a high risk area and all that, but should people lose everything they have because of a freak storm?
Tough decision.
Whoever voted clueless in this post again needs to think beyond dogma. If a modest person loses everything and the government isn't there to help them out, ask yourself what happens?

They lose everything?

They stiff the bank if there's a mortgage?

They file bankruptcy?(Which screws them even more?)

Bottom line is that for many homeowners, it is also too late in life to accumulate anything again. Do you know what that means? They're on the government dole one way or another.

It probably costs us less to do some disaster relief than it does to make them paupers who lose everything and can't get any credit/too late to start over again.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#21 Mar 2, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
P.S. For all you gun rights people, we are all aware of how enlightened some of our founding fathers like Jefferson and Franklin were.
If they were around and writing up the Constitution today, do you think they would not understand the difference between the dynamics in a densely populated urban area and a rural area?
Yes, they would stand for the right to bear arms. But don't you think they would have pushed to have things tweaked a little?
I am for the right to bear arms, 100%
But reasonable restrictions?
Should any dumbass have the right to carry a gun onto a plane? That's a pretty densely populated and dangerous place, isn't it? That's a reasonable restriction, isn't it?
Can't you argue that having a gun in Camden NJ isn't much different than bringing one onto a plane?
http://www.jta.org/news/article/2012/04/17/30...

N.J. Gov. Chris Christie: Jerusalem must stay Israeli
April 17, 2012
PRINCETON TOWNSHIP, N.J.(JTA)-- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said Jerusalem should remain under Israeli control.

Speaking at a news conference Tuesday following his first trip to Israel earlier this month, Christie, who has been mentioned by Republicans as a possible vice presidential pick, said his tour of the Old City of Jerusalem "further reinforced my view that Jerusalem has to stay under Israeli control."
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#22 Mar 2, 2013
6was9 wrote:
<quoted text>

N.J. Gov. Chris Christie: Jerusalem must stay Israeli
See, he is one of you people. Another ConservaTARD lemming trying to pacify his Jewish constituents in Jew Jersey.

If I can live with him sucking up to the Jews, you people can live with his reasonable view on guns, and the fact that he was smart enough not to go down on Romney's sinking ship!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
COPS lives MATTER 18 min Neutral Party 182
2 magical days until Christmas 28 min Neutral Party 70
Gas Prices Dip Below $2 A Gallon Across Central... 2 hr d pantz 2
Who do you side with in New York and why? 2 hr d pantz 18
Carolyn Bruck, channel 6 (Jan '12) 4 hr They cannot kill ... 328
Everyone have a good Christmas? 5 hr They cannot kill ... 5
Joe Cocker is dead. 6 hr d pantz 67
Merry Christmas everybody 9 hr Duke for Mayor 35
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:46 pm PST

NBC Sports 1:46PM
Mike Pettine: Our first-round picks aren't busts
Bleacher Report 2:15 AM
Should New England Patriots Rest Key Starters in Week 17?
NBC Sports 6:16 AM
A.J. Green's injured arm "feeling a little better"
NFL 7:11 AM
Mike Pettine: Browns won't write off Manziel, Gilbert
Bleacher Report10:17 AM
Complete Week 17 Preview for Baltimore