But...science said so.....

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#41 May 16, 2014
d pantz wrote:
<quoted text> Well, it should be put into layman's terms or explained in the reports the "terms of art" so people who arent in the medical field dont have "uneducated knee jerk reactions" based on the english definition of a word.
You don't have to be in the medical field to understand basic scientific terms.

It might be more productive for you to brush up on the fundamentals of science, rather than wait for everyone else to dumb down discourse till you understand it.
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Medina, OH

#42 May 16, 2014
d pantz wrote:
<quoted text> kinda like laws. Everybody (according to you) should be able to understand, yet from statute to statute the same word can have different meanings and 9 times out of ten it's nowhere close to the definition in the english dictionary.
You are starting to figure this out, pantz. Experts are experts for a reason. They know more about a certain discipline than most other people. Disease scientists know more about diseases than you do. Climate scientists know more about the Earth than you do. Attorneys know more about the law than you do. So when those people say something about their discipline, you shouldn't pretend that you know more about it than they do.
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Medina, OH

#43 May 16, 2014
d pantz wrote:
<quoted text> Well, it should be put into layman's terms or explained in the reports the "terms of art" so people who arent in the medical field dont have "uneducated knee jerk reactions" based on the english definition of a word.
Now you regressed a little bit by advocating that we dumb things down for people rather than ask that people take the time and effort to educate themselves.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#44 May 16, 2014
Pope Che Reagan Christ I wrote:
<quoted text>
You are starting to figure this out, pantz. Experts are experts for a reason. They know more about a certain discipline than most other people. Disease scientists know more about diseases than you do. Climate scientists know more about the Earth than you do. Attorneys know more about the law than you do. So when those people say something about their discipline, you shouldn't pretend that you know more about it than they do.
expert

ex= past wife
spurt= drip under pressure.

experts are only experts until someone proves them otherwise.

Science is only as good as the next experiment, and the opinion of what was learned.

Conclusive science on a billion year old planet will take another billion years for conclusive evidence. A hundred year old snapshot is just a blink.
Urinal Deuce for Mayor

Akron, OH

#45 May 16, 2014
tranpsosition wrote:
If nothing else, I hope you've learned a lesson about checking your understanding of concepts before having a giggle about how stupid the science community is.
Having an unquestioning, blind faith in all science published is pretty dumb. But an uneducated, knee jerk reaction against science seems somehow more sad.
Only it wasnt a study. It was cold hard facts (reported cases) that proved eradication. Simple math, 0 plus 0 equals 0.
Urinal Deuce for Mayor

Akron, OH

#46 May 16, 2014
<quoted text>
Trans said blind faith is dumb.
Urinal Deuce for Mayor

Akron, OH

#47 May 16, 2014
d pantz wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah i was going with the english dictionary http://i.word.com/idictionary/eradicate
Didnt know the "scientific term" wasso far off base from the literal meaning of the word. Amazing.
Wrong again, stupid. In the "news report you read did they say it was eradicated in the whole world, or just the States?
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#49 May 16, 2014
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
expert
ex= past wife
spurt= drip under pressure.
experts are only experts until someone proves them otherwise.
Science is only as good as the next experiment, and the opinion of what was learned.
Conclusive science on a billion year old planet will take another billion years for conclusive evidence. A hundred year old snapshot is just a blink.
Pithy.
Neutral Party

Prospect, KY

#50 May 16, 2014
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
The scientific answers about termination would reflect on the processes and outcomes.
You're looking for a legal, ethical, social science or cultural explanation if you're looking for a justification of a practice.
Which should be fairly straightforward, really. I don't really understand how people who know so little about science can get so hostile about it, rather than just start developing basic science literacy. It's not hard. Or scary.
There you go again. You come across as a deep thinker yet no one really cares what you say. You must be very proud of yourself.

Termination is more of a reference to losing your job.

Stopping the heartbeat of an unborn child is murder.

You should thank your mom for her "choice". If it was left up to the people of Topix there might have been a different outcome.
They cannot kill a Spook

Toledo, OH

#51 May 16, 2014
Neutral Party wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go again. You come across as a deep thinker yet no one really cares what you say. You must be very proud of yourself.
You should thank your mom for her "choice". If it was left up to the people of Topix there might have been a different outcome.
It is still not to late. Maye a muzzy bust a hole in Trans head and insert a shop vac hose. I know, I know they usually don't do something useful like that.

“Meh.”

Location hidden

#52 May 17, 2014
Urinal Deuce for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text> Only it wasnt a study. It was cold hard facts (reported cases) that proved eradication. Simple math, 0 plus 0 equals 0.
Still getting it wrong.

Eradication = gone everywhere and the disease is no longer an active or potential threat.
Elimination = disease removed from a specific population or interaction.

Smallpox, for example, has been eradicated. Nobody has, is getting or at risk of getting smallpox.

“Meh.”

Location hidden

#53 May 17, 2014
Neutral Party wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think that the moral or legal classification of an act as "murder" would be the responsibility of the science community?

Or is that just as silly as asking a social scientist or a lawyer to craft scientific responses aimed at disease control?
d pantz

Toledo, OH

#54 May 17, 2014
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have to be in the medical field to understand basic scientific terms.
It might be more productive for you to brush up on the fundamentals of science, rather than wait for everyone else to dumb down discourse till you understand it.
Really? I bet confusing the literal definition while reading or hearing the news is pretty common among people who dont work in medicine.
What I can't understand is that you act so suprised when people are wrong on Topix. You're always so astounded that people are so "stupid" yet you have a phd and don't try to find a different forum. Your whole bleak outlook of the world is based on topix Columbus. Though the truth always lies in between http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superiority_co...
d pantz

Toledo, OH

#55 May 17, 2014
<quoted text>
Now you regressed a little bit by advocating that we dumb things down for people rather than ask that people take the time and effort to educate themselves.
Youve been nothing but a cnt no matter what. I start a yhread about beer an you try to ridicule me. You in no way try to encourage anybody to do anything except think that you're an angry person. Men who act this way usually have a tiny phallus.
d pantz

Toledo, OH

#56 May 17, 2014
Urinal Deuce for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text> Wrong again, stupid. In the "news report you read did they say it was eradicated in the whole world, or just the States?
the states. Jeez.
d pantz

Toledo, OH

#57 May 17, 2014
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think that the moral or legal classification of an act as "murder" would be the responsibility of the science community?
Or is that just as silly as asking a social scientist or a lawyer to craft scientific responses aimed at disease control?
You're usually all over the place on what you expect out of people

“Meh.”

Location hidden

#58 May 17, 2014
d pantz wrote:
<quoted text> You're usually all over the place on what you expect out of people
I actually have some fairly concrete principles about what I expect from people, to try and keep discourse as fair as possible in an environment where not everyone may have the access to or ability to process further education.

As a general rule I expect someone wishing to engage with a topic to have the same rough level of subject knowledge and fluency level with the medium of exchange as someone with half a high school education. This is only, of course, if you're talking to other adults who are native speakers of the language used and not suffering from conditions that limit their ability.

For example, if someone wanted to talk about art in English, at a party. Assuming no handicaps, I would expect them to have the same level of knowledge about art and a command of the English language that a 10th grader would be required to demonstrate to move into the next level of their studies.

“Meh.”

Location hidden

#59 May 17, 2014
d pantz wrote:
<quoted text> Really? I bet confusing the literal definition while reading or hearing the news is pretty common among people who dont work in medicine.
What I can't understand is that you act so suprised when people are wrong on Topix. You're always so astounded that people are so "stupid" yet you have a phd and don't try to find a different forum. Your whole bleak outlook of the world is based on topix Columbus. Though the truth always lies in between http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superiority_co...
I'm not astounded at general stupidity, I don't think.

Just the rather stubborn and repeated stupidity of individuals with the resources to address their failings.

I suppose I'll never really understand the drive to bury your head in the sand and yell inanities ever louder, when fact checking and having an informed, adult conversation would take less time and energy. It's not so much that you're stupid, but that you pour so much time and energy into it when fixing it is so much easier.
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Medina, OH

#60 May 17, 2014
d pantz wrote:
<quoted text> Youve been nothing but a cnt no matter what. I start a yhread about beer an you try to ridicule me. You in no way try to encourage anybody to do anything except think that you're an angry person. Men who act this way usually have a tiny phallus.
Aww, shucks. You're welcome.

Since: Apr 14

Location hidden

#61 May 17, 2014
<quoted text>
You misread him, "lawyer".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Russian investigation update🙀 2 min Hail Hydra 20
Seth Rich, slain DNC staffer 3 min Free Pizza 4 U 56
Zbigniew Brzezinski is dead. 7 min fred 11
!!Add a word drop a word !! (Jun '12) 16 min Mimzy 621
Republicans Cannot Create Jobs 20 min Mimzy 23
America Held Hostage Day 129 44 min Guest 3
FBI and the Trump brothers ..... 1 hr Trooff 16

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance