Two die in Rt. 33 crash near Nelsonville

Two die in Rt. 33 crash near Nelsonville

There are 78 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Sep 26, 2008, titled Two die in Rt. 33 crash near Nelsonville. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Two people were killed this afternoon in a two-vehicle crash on Rt. 33 just north of Nelsonville in Athens County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

tGbtg42

Mount Dora, FL

#41 Dec 4, 2008
Betteh,

I would like to get an update on Rodney's recovery, also how are his friends doing? I hope they all are doing well. I haven't seen anything in a while and I would like to know how they are doing. Please keep us all posted. It's hard to believe that it's been 2 months since the accident. Thanks so much.
betteh

AOL

#42 Dec 6, 2008
Thank you so much for asking. Rodney is in rehap in Cleveland. His recovery will be slow. He's up, walking, talking, singing, lont term memory seems to be fine, but not his short term. Doctors did say this will probably happen. It might take 2 years or more if he gets it back at all. We're all hopeful, because of his injuries. They talk of replacing his skull in March, but releasing him to out paticence around the first of the year. For this, we are truly grateful for all of your prayers. Jon and Shawn are both home and still recovering. We met Shawn going to visit Rod and he was the least injured, so his recovery has been quicker then the other 2. Jon, who was enrolled with Rod, hope to go back to school next fall. He's still recovering. His injuries were heart related, so he's got a way to go also. I know all our families thoughts still go to Angles' and Jason's families. Keeping them all in our prayers. Wishing everyone out there a very Merry Christmas. You all deserve it because of your concern, care and prayers to complete strangers who have touched your lives. You've all touched ours also. I'll keep you updated from time to time, especially with good news. Thank you all!!
tGbtg42 wrote:
Betteh,
I would like to get an update on Rodney's recovery, also how are his friends doing? I hope they all are doing well. I haven't seen anything in a while and I would like to know how they are doing. Please keep us all posted. It's hard to believe that it's been 2 months since the accident. Thanks so much.
tGbtg42

Mount Dora, FL

#43 Dec 9, 2008
Thank you for replying and giving an update on Rodney and Shawn and Jon, I am so glad that they are recovering. I will continue to keep them in our prayers. I was wondering how your daughter made out is she doing better, I also hope the son-in-law and those you talked about are turning to the Lord and I pray they all do surrender their lives to Jesus, sometimes something happens that is bad and the good Lord turns it in to something good and it is my prayer that they will get closer to the Lord. Thanks so much for your prayers to everyone that is involved. Please keep us posted.
betteh

AOL

#44 Dec 12, 2008
Dear tGbtg42, thank you for your prayers for Rod and our family. That is kind of you to do. Sherry is healing, but the process will take sometime. She's having trouble regulating her meds along with this healing process. She's gets depressed, but that also comes with this kind of surgery. She continues going to the doctors almost on a weekly basis, and just wishes to feel better soon.
I saw that your in Eustis Fla. We're wintering in Georgetown this year. I'm under the impression that Angle was a part of your family. Pleae be assured that we're also praying for you all. We can only be there for you all also. May you realize your pain & grief. May you all have a blessed Christmas and may God see you through this time.
tGbtg42 wrote:
Thank you for replying and giving an update on Rodney and Shawn and Jon, I am so glad that they are recovering. I will continue to keep them in our prayers. I was wondering how your daughter made out is she doing better, I also hope the son-in-law and those you talked about are turning to the Lord and I pray they all do surrender their lives to Jesus, sometimes something happens that is bad and the good Lord turns it in to something good and it is my prayer that they will get closer to the Lord. Thanks so much for your prayers to everyone that is involved. Please keep us posted.
betteh

AOL

#45 Dec 22, 2008
Just to let you all know that Rodney is being released from the hospital tomorrow. We are so thankful to celebrate Christmas with him at home. Our thanks to everyone who has held him and us in their prayers. We will forever be eterally grateful for your kindness for him. His short term memory is still not back, but hoping for the best in his own home with family around him. He'll have surgery to replace his skull around in March, the drs. have said. Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a healthy New Year.
tGbtg42

Mount Dora, FL

#46 Dec 27, 2008
Betteh,

I am glad Rodney was released from the hospital and was able to spend Chritsmas at home with his family, thanks so much for the update. I will continue to keep him in prayer for the upcoming surgery and his health in general. I am associated with Angel and thanks for your prayers they are gratefully appreciated, it's been a rough road but with God's help and love we are able to slowly heal, but will always miss her presence she was a lovely person. THanks and have a Healthy New Year to you too. Please continue to keep us posted. I believe it helps us to heal and prayerfully hoping that somethig will come out good from the accicent that took Angels and Jacob's lives. Rodney's recovery is one of them, and Shawn and Jon, I hope they are doing ok too.
WELL, take care.
betteh

AOL

#47 Jan 10, 2009
Dear tGtg42, Rodney update: Dr. who did surgery in
Columbus wants to replace his skull with a mold or his ASAP. He's had 2 infections which prevents him for getting his skull back. But Dr. is sure that will help with his short term memory. He also thinks a good possibility of him returning to college in the fall. How wonderful is that news. Hurtle to jumb: needs to be off blood thinners for 10 days. Waiting to hear from another dr. for his ok. In asking him about why he has a 'dent' in his head, he know he's been in an accident, with Jon & Shawn, and their all ok and getting better. Not much more than that though. That might not come back at all. Will keep you updated!
Bette
tGbtg42 wrote:
Betteh,
I am glad Rodney was released from the hospital and was able to spend Chritsmas at home with his family, thanks so much for the update. I will continue to keep him in prayer for the upcoming surgery and his health in general. I am associated with Angel and thanks for your prayers they are gratefully appreciated, it's been a rough road but with God's help and love we are able to slowly heal, but will always miss her presence she was a lovely person. THanks and have a Healthy New Year to you too. Please continue to keep us posted. I believe it helps us to heal and prayerfully hoping that somethig will come out good from the accicent that took Angels and Jacob's lives. Rodney's recovery is one of them, and Shawn and Jon, I hope they are doing ok too.
WELL, take care.
tGbtg42

Mount Dora, FL

#48 Jan 16, 2009
Bette,

Thanks for the update on Rodney, It's so good to hear that he will soon be going back to college in the fall, and I hope he is succesful with his short term memory after the operation on his skull, I pray that he does ok with being off the blood thiners if the dr. ok's it. I also pray that he has no more infections to stall the operation, but the good Lord above has his hand on him and I pray for his recovery. I am also glad to hear shawn and Jon are doing better, Just wondering if I might ask how did they take the news about Jacob and Angel? I am sure it wasn't easy at all. I am praying something will continue to come out of all this to the good. Well thanks so much for the udate keep me posted and remember you all are in our prayers. Take care.
betteh

AOL

#49 Feb 13, 2009
Dear tGbtg42, haven't written, just waiting for drs. & their tests. that takes forever. they have scheduled surgery to place a stint into the artery that has a gas bubble in it. it is around one of his ears. again, he has to be off the blood thinners for this. after this, they will talk about replacing the skull. all of this takes so much time. oh, well. he's doing just fine. don't know how Shawn or Jon reacted to Angel or Jason's deaths. I've not been in contact with any of them. When I hear, I'll let you know. Thanks for your concern. I'll keep you updated. I've placed pictures of our daughter, rodney & us on my space. Bette Hynd. please visit to see how he's doing. How is Angels, family doing. I continue to keep everyone on my prayer list. Let them know that there's someone out there who cares about them. More later. Bette
tGbtg42 wrote:
Bette,
Thanks for the update on Rodney, It's so good to hear that he will soon be going back to college in the fall, and I hope he is succesful with his short term memory after the operation on his skull, I pray that he does ok with being off the blood thiners if the dr. ok's it. I also pray that he has no more infections to stall the operation, but the good Lord above has his hand on him and I pray for his recovery. I am also glad to hear shawn and Jon are doing better, Just wondering if I might ask how did they take the news about Jacob and Angel? I am sure it wasn't easy at all. I am praying something will continue to come out of all this to the good. Well thanks so much for the udate keep me posted and remember you all are in our prayers. Take care.
betteh

AOL

#50 Feb 16, 2009
Dear tGbtg42, Have had a nice long talk with Rodneys dad. He said that Rod doesn't remember anything about the crash. Since he had only met Jacob days eariler, he can't remember anything. He does know, from those talking to him about it, he's been in an accident with Jon & Shawn. Those 2 are remembering more & more. Rodney was behind Jacob, that is the main reason for his injuries. There seems to have been trouble with Jacobs auto and he couldn't control it & it went left of center. The boys, not Rod, do remember that. We don't really know if Rod is really aware of what truly happened. With his lack of short term memory, it's all we know. His dad did say he tires easily, especially doing his physical therapy. We did find out he won't have operation on skull until June, to recover completely from upcoming surgery for artery. Will keep you informed.
tGbtg42

Mount Dora, FL

#51 Feb 19, 2009
Dear Betteh,
Sorry I haven't responded lately, I haven't been on line in a while. I just want to thank you for keeping in touch with me. I am sorry to hear about the complication concerning Rodney's heart,and I pray all goes well with inserting the stent in his artery, I will continue lifting him up in prayer, as well as the whole family. Thanks for talking to Rod's dad about the accident, its such a hard subject to talk about, I hope and pray that shawn and Jon will be able to talk about it one day. Tell Rod to hang in there with the phsical therapy he will grow stronger and his determination will do him well and it is expected to tire him out but it is determental that he keeps doing it. I am sure he is determined to get stronger. In time he will heal, and God has a purpose for him and I pray that his operation goes well and that when he does get surgery on his skull and get past the hard things it will get better for him. As far as Angel's family we have God's hand on us and we are healing, but we miss her terribly, not a day goes by that we don't think of her. I could say so much more but for times sake and because this is public I won't. THanks for letting me into your lives believe me it's a healing process and God is so good to us. I will check out your my space, that way I have faces to see and know who I am praying for and the most important God knows who you are. God bless you all and keep me posted. Take care.
tGbtg42

Mount Dora, FL

#52 Feb 19, 2009
Betteh,

I am sorry, i meant to ask how your daughter is doing? Please let me know thanks.
betteh

AOL

#53 Feb 22, 2009
rGbtg42
Thanks for asking about Sherry. She's still healing. Her heart rate is still elevated, they adjust meds, but can't get it down. They don't know why, but continue to monitor her. My e'mail is eahynd525@aol.com. It willbe more private. Bette
tGbtg42 wrote:
Betteh,
I am sorry, i meant to ask how your daughter is doing? Please let me know thanks.
betteh

AOL

#54 Mar 16, 2009
For those of you still keeping up to date with this accident, this update is about Rodney. He had a stint placed into his corated artery, and injury from the accident. They did a catherazation, like done with heart people. He is doing just fine. There was a tear there along with the artery looking like tissue paper. There was also an blockage, which could have caused a large number of problems, but it got corrected, also. The doctor said the operation went better than expected. Praise God for him & his team. Metor Hospital in Cleveland can work miracles, just like Grant in Columbus. I would like to know how Kym is doing. Several people have been asking. Pleae respond when you can. Thank you all for your prayers and support. We remember you also.The next step is to replace Rod' skull, hopefully in June. I will keep updating as we go along.

Since: Oct 08

Sutton Twp, Ohio

#55 Apr 20, 2009
Hello ladies. I can't tell you how happy I am to hear about Rodney's progress. I have been sick and too scared to look for updates. I couldn't handle bad news. I am so glad to see so much progress.

As for Jacob, an organization associated with my church has set up a memorial scholarship in his name. That is going very well and has collected a good amount. There are 3 bands, I don't remember who but they are famous, have contacted us and agreed to play for free to help the fund raising. The concert will be Sept 26, 2009.(The anniversary.)

The scholarship will be for children in the Forestry field of science.(Whatever that field of study is called - my mind is going.) Jacob's desire to improve the enviroment, and his memory, will live forever through the students that receive these funds. I find it very fitting.

Myself, I have given up my ministry and have sold off most of my farm to make up the income. My husband has retired because I am unable to care for myself most of the time. Really, the only thing that keeps me alive is knowing that my mother would feel this pain if something were to happen to me. I really don't want her to feel this.

I'm in my 3rd round with Cancer. Cancer doesn't hurt so I'm okay with it. I know my family doesn't read this so I'll be honest. I'm not asking for treatment anymore. I'm only asking to be kept comfortable. I will be with Jacob one day. That is the day that I pray for.

Karma... Last Saturday, 4/18, my 22-year-old neice was killed in an auto accident. Her drunk boyfriend was trying to scare her. He drove over 80mph down a dark side road and kept swerving towards the ditches in order to scare her. He ran the stop sign so that she wouldn't jump from the car. The next time he swerved the car went airborne and her side of the car hit a telephone pole. Her head exploded and she was dead on impact.(Heather Fiorelli in Eastlake, OH.)

We know what happened because she was on the phone with her father. She was begging him to pick her up. He was all ready on the road looking for her but the boyfriend didn't drop her off at any of the places she asked to be dropped off. She was relaying all of the events over the phone as she talked to her dad, my brother. He killed our angel.

It seems like the horror of death will never leave us. But, I am so glad that Rodney is recovering and some of this madness will end. Bless him for restoring some hope!

Kym
Jacob's mother (11/21/1988-9/26/2008)
betteh

AOL

#56 Apr 21, 2009
Dear Kym. I am so glad to hear from you. My e-mail is eahynd525@aol.com. I certainly would like to be kept up to date from you. I am also in touch with Beth and tGbtg42. I will let them know about you and your family. So very sorry to hear about that terrible accident. I just can't figure out why pain has to be placed on the your.

As for Rodney, talked with his dad today. He is now starting to remember things in his recent past. They have a drs. appt. with the vascular dr. to see if and when he can see the nurosurgeon in Columbus to replace his skull. Billy told me that through all his reading, it sounds like Rod is almost half way back to full recovery. Praise the Lord for our miracle child. He gets frustrated easily, more than before. He talks a lot more, also. That's the only personality changes I can see.

Don't know where we'll be on Sept 26th. But maybe someone from our family will be able to attend the concert. I'll keep them informed.

I've had you on our prayer list for months, now. So very sorry to hear about another round of cancer. My husband had just 1 bout 8 years ago. We charish every day together. We travel with God always daily. I just can't figure out those who deny His presence in their lives.

I'm so very glad I posted that last note on here. I didn't know if anyone looked back on it. Thank you for your words. You are in our prayers and thoughts.

Bette
betteh

AOL

#57 Jun 17, 2009
Rodney Hynd will be having surgery to have his skull replaced on July 16th in Cleveland. We ask again for your prayers. He's been doing well since surgery in March. Hopefully, this will complete his healing. We thank everyone for their prayers and support during this time.

Bette
Kymberlyn

Omaha, NE

#58 Jun 17, 2009
Hi Betty,
Thank you for your kind words and prayers for me. Also, thank you for the update on Rodney. I am so happy to see him come so far. I will keep him in my prayers and wish him a speedy recovery after his surgery.
Kym
betteh

AOL

#59 Jun 18, 2009
Dear Kym, We also have you on our prayer list daily. Hope that things are going better for you. So glad to hear from you. Keep in touch when you can.
Bette
betteh

AOL

#60 Jul 22, 2009
Rod's surgery went well. Spent 4 days in Columbus. Had trouble at home. Fainted because of blood was low. Spent 3 days in Metro. Had 2 pints of blood and came home. Numbers are up and doing well. Looks better, color in his face. Feeling well. Hopefully, this will be the last surgery we can see. Thanks to all for prayers.
Bette

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OMG is it just me IR commercials 2 min Reality Speaks 43
6 Cops Guarding Coward $75k Deputy Scot Peterson? 5 min Reality Speaks 14
Black Panther Sucked 9 min White Panther 80
Democrats decline to endorse Dianne Feinstein f... 29 min a1 b2 c3 d4 e5 f6... 2
nancy say's......CUT THE GRASS! 38 min a1 b2 c3 d4 e5 f6... 5
BOBB Automotive West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 59 min 404 not found 10
Public Breastfeeding Age Restriction 1 hr Reality Speaks 69

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages