Sears Store Pushing Extended Warranties

Posted in the Columbus Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Warning

Groveport, OH

#1 Jul 9, 2013
Found that Lancaster, Ohio Sears store employees will add the extended warranty to your purchase even after being told that the buyer does not want it.

These extended warranties are a big money maker for Sears and other stores. Stores now pressure their employees to push credit cards and extended warranties. Employees who push the most cards and warranties get more work hours than those who doesn't.

It's proven that stores are now making big profits on the product extended warranties and credit card late payments and interest charges. The purchase of an extended warranty is a total waste of money. The LANCASTER SEARS EMPLOYEES GET YOU INVOLVED IN CONVERSATION AND ADD the extended warranty to your purchase. WATCH you Sears transactions closely before signing the receipt.

Some stores now offer and extended warranty on a number 2 pencil... Definately a money making store gimmick!!

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#2 Jul 9, 2013
Who shops at Sears?
They cannot kill a spook

Toledo, OH

#3 Jul 9, 2013
-tip- wrote:
Who shops at Sears?
Not bad place.for hand tools or.appliances.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#4 Jul 9, 2013
They cannot kill a spook wrote:
<quoted text>
Not bad place.for hand tools or.appliances.
Used to be, Spook.
About 8-9 years ago, Sears(Craftsman) stopped making the tape measure, chalk-line, hammer, utility knife and maybe a few others due to people bringing them back so often. I remember people breaking them on purpose to get a new one just because they were near the store.
One story i recall: This stupid mexican thought you could take the chalk-lines back when they ran out of chalk. Idiot didn't know there was a re-fill hole.
Anyhow, FuQ extended warranties.
Neutral Party

Evansville, IN

#5 Jul 10, 2013
We found similar example at our Sears. Went in for a garage door remote and they wanted to send us specials via text, offered extended warranty and more.

It's like whey they finally get you to come to their store they are so desperate they'll do anything to keep you their.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#6 Jul 10, 2013
use the internet, save gas, save time, save money.

Sears used to have sign on door....satisfaction guaranteed or money back

now they force you to pay for that guarantee.

best to buy online, save the tax, and skip the wasted time at brick and mortar soon to be ghost.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#7 Jul 10, 2013
Reality Speaks wrote:
use the internet, save gas, save time, save money.
Sears used to have sign on door....satisfaction guaranteed or money back
now they force you to pay for that guarantee.
best to buy online, save the tax, and skip the wasted time at brick and mortar soon to be ghost.
Every retailer is pushing extended warranties and have for years. I bought a new fridge at Lowes two months ago and took the extended warranty. Got a letter in the mail yesterday wanting me to extend it for a further 1-3 years,lmao. I bought a car DVD player at HH Gregg a couple of years ago on sale for @199.00, guess what they wanted for extended warranty? That's right,@199.00
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#8 Jul 10, 2013
Will Sears be around long enough to acknowledge an extended warranty?
I'm surprised when half the junk they make anymore makes it passed the first initial warranty in the first place.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#9 Jul 10, 2013
Edit: No just pertaining to Sears above, actually Sears has some great appliances and tools, but they're not what they used to be.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#10 Jul 10, 2013
Edit #2: ^^^ NOT
They cannot kill a spook

Toledo, OH

#11 Jul 10, 2013
sidekick wrote:
I'm surprised when half the junk they make anymore makes it passed the first initial warranty in the first place.
The craftsman wrenches will be I see them at Menards and several other stores not part of Sears Holdings.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#12 Jul 10, 2013
<quoted text>
The craftsman wrenches will be I see them at Menards and several other stores not part of Sears Holdings.
Probably due to their lifetime guarantee arguments. I haven't noticed them gone from Sears anyhow.
I luckily got a great deal on a bunch of Mac tools years ago, although if i need anything new nowadays, I tend to buy Kobalt from Lowes...and some Husky tools are OK from Home Depot.
They cannot kill a spook

Toledo, OH

#13 Jul 10, 2013
sidekick wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably due to their lifetime guarantee arguments. I haven't noticed them gone from Sears anyhow.
I luckily got a great deal on a bunch of Mac tools years ago, although if i need anything new nowadays, I tend to buy Kobalt from Lowes...and some Husky tools are OK from Home Depot.
Depending. What it is going to be used for and the price I buy from all the truck brands Snap-on Mac/proto/blackhawk, Matco Cornwell. For impact sockets can't beat the price of Grey pneumatic. Lifetine warranty and Spartan Tool has never turned me down when I have even modified the socket or extension. Pliers though are Knipex Klein or channel lock. Vise grip for holding pliers and rounded off nuts etc.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#14 Jul 10, 2013
<quoted text>
Depending. What it is going to be used for and the price I buy from all the truck brands Snap-on Mac/proto/blackhawk, Matco Cornwell. For impact sockets can't beat the price of Grey pneumatic. Lifetine warranty and Spartan Tool has never turned me down when I have even modified the socket or extension. Pliers though are Knipex Klein or channel lock. Vise grip for holding pliers and rounded off nuts etc.
I still have a bunch of my grandfathers tools from the early 19s-50s. I'm not sure if they have name brands on them, but they're in need of no damn warranty, I guarantee.
They cannot kill a spook

Toledo, OH

#15 Jul 10, 2013
sidekick wrote:
<quoted text>
I still have a bunch of my grandfathers tools from the early 19s-50s. I'm not sure if they have name brands on them, but they're in need of no damn warranty, I guarantee.
I have sone wizard brand wrenches old no idea of when they were made seem as well made as old mac or snap on.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#16 Jul 10, 2013
Warning wrote:
The purchase of an extended warranty is a total waste of money.
Unless your product breaks one day after the manufacturer's warranty expires....

While I would agree with you it would be stupid on an item such as an iron or coffee maker, when you get into the thousands of dollars range, it makes a little more sense. Especially on electronics (not computers). Major appliances probably have adequate standard warranties.

You might have a credit card that doubles manufacturer warranties for no extra cost... this could be worth it if you can pay off the card in a reasonable amount of time (before the interest paid is more than the cost of a new item).

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#17 Jul 10, 2013
sidekick wrote:
Worse than that, most extended warranties are through a third party (the store gets a percentage), and who knows if THEY'LL be around.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#18 Jul 10, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Worse than that, most extended warranties are through a third party (the store gets a percentage), and who knows if THEY'LL be around.
Here's another warranty gimmick I ran into. Firestone put new tires on a work truck of mine, and asked if I wanted their extended road hazard warranty($14 extra per tire). They said it covers flat tires from nails and what not, plus some other issues.
Come to find out, They'll only patch a tire 3 times(within room), and to cover uneven wear- You'd had to of had them align them(extra), plus rotated on their scheduled timespan. And then the really hidden one... If there is a defect in the tire, you get a used replacement "IF" the thickness in tread is less than so & so.
All untold at the initial question of wanting the warranty.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#19 Jul 10, 2013
BTW, Where's Bob hiding at?
He always had a comment about Sear's history.
They cannot kill a spook

Toledo, OH

#20 Jul 10, 2013
sidekick wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's another warranty gimmick I ran into. Firestone put new tires on a work truck of mine, and asked if I wanted their extended road hazard warranty($14 extra per tire). They said it covers flat tires from nails and what not, plus some other issues.
Come to find out, They'll only patch a tire 3 times(within room), and to cover uneven wear- You'd had to of had them align them(extra), plus rotated on their scheduled timespan. And then the really hidden one... If there is a defect in the tire, you get a used replacement "IF" the thickness in tread is less than so & so.
All untold at the initial question of wanting the warranty.
Never had that from Discount tire. I had two that were wearing fast on a rod pulling truck they guy put new ones on no charge with the warranty starting over on those two. Tire Discounters same thing.

On big trucks though I use Buckeye tire Wd tire warehouse in columbus. And various Michelin Yokohama or toyo dealers . Bandag trash hualer recaps on drive axles with virgin casings from Yokohama mostly

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Autopsy, toxicology report on Michael Brown 19 min Male 59
Whitehall Bus Driver Charged For Alleged Assaul... 1 hr Jonathon 1
Change to Columbus schools might come without -... 1 hr hey Chocolate Jimmie 1
Good morning BizzyBee and friends 2 hr Seriouslady 25
President Ebola 3 hr Male 669
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 4 hr Male 3,962
Breaking: Second Nurse w/ Ebola flies with 99.5... 4 hr d pantz 118
Columbus Dating
Find my Match

Columbus Jobs