Deputy apparently involved in cancer ...

Deputy apparently involved in cancer scam | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 176 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Oct 7, 2009, titled Deputy apparently involved in cancer scam | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

A Marion County deputy's suicide and his apparently bogus claim that he suffered from cancer to solicit donations of money will be detailed this morning at a press conference by Sheriff Tim Bailey.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

From Marion Ohio

Edison, OH

#96 Oct 7, 2009
OMG!! This is a very odd story. Didn't he need to complete FMLA papers? Didn't anyone think of attending appointments/treatments with him? My mother is currently in cancer treatment, didn't he have a port put in to receive his treatment? Even if he didn't he should have had severe brusing on his veins from treatment site infusion. I just can't beleive that no one thought to question him more. Who drove him to his surgery? No one stayed at he hospital with him? No one spoke with the doctor after surger? I think that is a little odd, as family I would think someone would need to be with him. Dealing with my mother, there is no way she could go thru this on her own...However the most upsetting part about this is that he is faking an illness that millions of people have prayed and wished they didn't have and so many have died. That to me is one of the most unconcivable things...my heart is to big, I would only be able to think of all of the millions of people going throught this awful diease for real! May his childern be able to move on in their lives someday and not be tagged by what their father and possiblly mother have done!
From Marion Ohio

Edison, OH

#97 Oct 7, 2009
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Forget it. They're too busy worrying about the Buckeyes. After all, that's the only thing that matters in this town.
Amen to that...real news would be nice too!...or maybe not!
TruthSerum

Indianapolis, IN

#99 Oct 7, 2009
Actually the coroner was wrong...he didn't have balls.
Delaware Resident

Powell, OH

#100 Oct 7, 2009
sorry to bring this up, but anyone else wonder if the wife was involved in the scam? Wouldn't she have went to a few of these "appointments" with him? I surely hope she wasn't but seems like it would be hard to fake cancer to your wife.
Ginny

Dayton, OH

#101 Oct 7, 2009
Where was his wife during all this, or did he hoax her too? What about anyone ever visiting him in the hospital? You know, you can fool some of the people some of the time, but? It is still a terrible sadness that he felt so compelled to take his own life.My sincere sympathy to his family. May he rest in peace, and all anger at him be gone. Apparently, he had no peace in this life.

“Er...Protector of Free Speech?”

Since: Mar 08

The AKR

#102 Oct 7, 2009
Wow.

:0(

“Er...Protector of Free Speech?”

Since: Mar 08

The AKR

#103 Oct 7, 2009
I posted previous just to get a feel for how this thread is all panning out. I haven't been back to Topix in quite some time.

I am "extended" family. Never met the guy, but have talked to some "folks at home", tonight, who knew him. Even they, still, do not know the truth at this time. We/they are not sure if the police will ever know the cause of his suicide. Regardless, we are all very sad that it had to come to this end.

The wife and children are in my prayers, and I will pray for his soul as well.

VERY Sad times.

:0)
K Roley

Andover, CT

#104 Oct 7, 2009
bye, bye, maggot
Anna Reed

Jacksonville, OH

#105 Oct 7, 2009
Being overly sexed up as you put it has NOTHING to do with knowing if your husbands balls are missing earplug!!!
Diana Smith wrote:
<quoted text>My statement does not jive?Apparently you feel like you have the right to be judgmental when you don't have a clue about his wife.You act like you have never been deceived by anyone.My are you not the smart one.She trusted her husband and apparently she had no reason to question him until recently.Apparently you don't think he would have made excuses why he could not dress or undress in front of her.Apparently you focus too much on your husbands privates some women don't tend to get that overly sexed up earplug.I find it offensive you automatically have ruled her guilty without knowing and that does make me passionate about a situation.You buy in to the hype of others without using your own sense of thinking,that is what does not jive.
Anna Reed

Jacksonville, OH

#106 Oct 7, 2009
Well what happened to allthe money it WASN"T spent on cancer and to fake this he couldn't have been out having a good times so where is the money WHO did spend it find where the money went and you will know who all was in on it!!
Diana Smith wrote:
<quoted text> According to articles I read his co-workers would drop him off at the place he was supposed to go for chemo and pick him up after wards so apparently your assessment of the wife is completely false.I mean don't you think she has enough to deal with without everyone saying all this crap about her and accusing her of stuff.Leave her alone and get a life why don't all of you?
NAV

Minneapolis, MN

#107 Oct 7, 2009
Stevo711 wrote:
How come the wife wasn't arrested for going along with this scam? I do feel sorry for the Sheriff's department, they were just trying to help, what they thought was, a very sick co-worker......
Dude, shove your face back into that pillow you were biting and hush up over things you know nothing about. I am ashamed of all you morons with these ridiculous comments about his wife being in on it. She is suffering enough as it is without having pin heads like you trying to play "investigator". You were not directly affected so worry about whether or not you will be on the fry station or rgister tomorrow and keep your stupid comments to yourself.
NAV

Minneapolis, MN

#108 Oct 7, 2009
K Roley wrote:
bye, bye, maggot
Really? Wow? I can only imagine what the rest of the level of intelligence is out there in Conneticut. I mean it must have taken you...what...30 full minutes to think of that? See, it's people like you who make comments like this that deserve no place in this society. Ask yourself this a-hole... would you tell that to his wife and kids? Think about it... because I will bet his kids are going to be hearing enough crap from the media alone to damage them for life.

Since: Oct 09

Lexington, KY

#109 Oct 8, 2009
Amurica-Since you KNOW the requirements to getting hired on to a Police Department then why haven't you become an officer yet? According to YOUR OWN specifications all you need to get hired is an extra couple hundred pounds and barely a G.E.D. and I'm sure you've got that part down. Let me tell you, you wouldn't pass the first test to get your foot in the door. Most Agencies are hiring college graduates and encouraging their other officers already on the street to attend college. Judging by your hostility, you surely would never have passed the psychological either. You must still be mad about a ticket. Keep hatin but we now who you'll be calling when you need help. And to post that crap about all police officers in this foum was classless.
Uncle Harry

Columbus, OH

#110 Oct 8, 2009
No empathy anymore wrote:
Amurica-Since you KNOW the requirements to getting hired on to a Police Department then why haven't you become an officer yet?
Maybe he is allergic to doughnuts.
Timmy

Youngstown, OH

#111 Oct 8, 2009
This is why I don't donate or get involved with these do good events. How does one know ? I know in my village there were two people that had dinners to raise money for there illness. Both people are now dead, but while alive they used the charity money to buy things that wasn't going to make them healther or related to their illness.So why get involved ?
NWA

Columbus, OH

#112 Oct 8, 2009
HOMER wrote:
There is good and bad out there. It doesn't matter what job you have. You can't judge the whole police dept. by one bad apple.
Homer, where's your racist all-encompasing remarks on this one? Doesn't sound like the rules you live by apply to everyone. I can only imagine what you'd say if this guy had been "of color". Respect to his family, friends, and bretheren.
Timmy

Youngstown, OH

#113 Oct 8, 2009
No empathy anymore wrote:
Amurica-Since you KNOW the requirements to getting hired on to a Police Department then why haven't you become an officer yet? According to YOUR OWN specifications all you need to get hired is an extra couple hundred pounds and barely a G.E.D. and I'm sure you've got that part down. Let me tell you, you wouldn't pass the first test to get your foot in the door. Most Agencies are hiring college graduates and encouraging their other officers already on the street to attend college. Judging by your hostility, you surely would never have passed the psychological either. You must still be mad about a ticket. Keep hatin but we now who you'll be calling when you need help. And to post that crap about all police officers in this foum was classless.
Anymore, Come to my Town. I like you to talk to these college Grads. What you'll find in your discussion is they all graduated from Tech School in Jefferson County. Now with that being said I went to school with all of them. They didn't even take out their parents ashes when heating with coal. As being schooled they were lucky to get out of High School. So in my opinion they are lazy and slow ! No tickets here.
Joe Blow Of Columbus

Cleveland, OH

#114 Oct 8, 2009
Misses Joe Russell wrote:
<quoted text>
No he was not pathetic...he was a wonderful human being and I don't believe a word of this story to be true. With the recent cancer scam in Delaware, Joe is being targeted and unfairly so. He underwent chemotherapy and his appearance at that time is proof of this. You do not put yourself through that treatment for a few thousand dollars and no doctor would perform it unecessarily. His family and friends are grieving from this tragic loss and his memory is being dragged through the mud. Shame on our media.
Come on, did the autopsy find no operation marks/cuts? Are you trying to shield him? Or are you like him? A thief. Hope you are not in his field of law. Don't blame the media when you are found out too. He scam everyone in one way or the other. The people I blame most are those who should know since there was no medical insurance claim. For all these years he been scamming them and no medical claim forms. That is a shame. I am, however, sorry for his kids.
earplugs

Columbus, OH

#115 Oct 8, 2009
Diana Smith wrote:
<quoted text>My statement does not jive?Apparently you feel like you have the right to be judgmental when you don't have a clue about his wife.You act like you have never been deceived by anyone.My are you not the smart one.She trusted her husband and apparently she had no reason to question him until recently.Apparently you don't think he would have made excuses why he could not dress or undress in front of her.Apparently you focus too much on your husbands privates some women don't tend to get that overly sexed up earplug.I find it offensive you automatically have ruled her guilty without knowing and that does make me passionate about a situation.You buy in to the hype of others without using your own sense of thinking,that is what does not jive.
So knowing if my husband had his balls removed equates to overly sexed up? Wow, I feel sorry for your husband.

And yes, I've been deceived but I'm not deaf, dumb and stupid. If my husband was diagnosed with cancer, I'd be at those doctor appointments with him, whether he wanted me there or not. And if I felt like something was going on, I'd find out.

And I never accused the wife, I questioned her because the story does not make sense. Obviously, I'm not the only one that had that same question.

Finally, I have the right to my opinion, just like you have the right to yours. See, that opinion thing, they are like a**holes, everyone has one!!! Good day Diane.
JLO

New York, NY

#116 Oct 8, 2009
earplugs wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Diana, you seem to be very passionate and know an awful lot about this situation... but as a wife, if my husband had surgery to remove his testicles, regardless if we were being intimate or not, I would notice if they were removed. Your statement just does not jive... I can understand trusting your husband and even being gullible but this just does not add up.
Earplugs, you are not thinking rationally. The point is, whether Mr. and Mrs. Russell were being intimate or not - which, BTW is none of any of our business - if he didn't TELL her about the 'cancer' and didn't TELL her he was going to have his testicles removed, she would have no cause to question why they were still intact. Next time before you hit "Post Comment" take a deep breath and try to process what you are replying to.

I agree with Diana's (and others)multiple comments regarding Mrs. Russell -- LEAVE HER ALONE. None of us have ANY CLUE what really was going on. I hope to God none of you have anything horrible ever happen to anyone in your family; I hope all of you and your family members are perfect, saintly citizens who have never, ever done anything wrong, because in my opinion you get the mercy you've shown yourself. Good luck with that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
America Held Hostage Day 127 18 min MarkJ- 8
Obama's NSA Spied on Americans illegally 1 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 7
!!Add a word drop a word !! (Jun '12) 1 hr Mimzy 573
Giant Coyote near Marysville 2 hr Mimzy 20
News Wea re No. 14! Columbus tops Indianapolis in po... 3 hr Hail Hydra 3
KASICH should have been elected president. 4 hr They cannot kill ... 20
HA-LOL - Muslim gets pizza with pork pepperoni;... 6 hr Sally 10

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance