Deputy apparently involved in cancer ...

Deputy apparently involved in cancer scam | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 176 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Oct 7, 2009, titled Deputy apparently involved in cancer scam | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

A Marion County deputy's suicide and his apparently bogus claim that he suffered from cancer to solicit donations of money will be detailed this morning at a press conference by Sheriff Tim Bailey.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
pikkil47

Hilliard, OH

#1 Oct 7, 2009
"Just as every cop is a criminal, and all the sinners saints as heads is tails just call me....."
Thanks Stones
earplugs

Columbus, OH

#2 Oct 7, 2009
I wonder if he would have gotten 8 years? I guess he decided on a life sentence.
Jone

Columbus, OH

#3 Oct 7, 2009
What a pathetic person. I was scammed by him.

“Anniesgothergun”

Since: Aug 09

johnson city tenn.

#5 Oct 7, 2009
WOW im just in shock on this one! its sad but also upsetting . for a officer sworn to uphold justice to betray family & friends & public, guess he truely got what he deserved " death sentence " .
sad

Beachwood, OH

#6 Oct 7, 2009
I wonder what made him feel he had to do this? Nothing is that bad. My prayers to his family. I am sorry for your loss.
A Cops Son

Columbus, OH

#7 Oct 7, 2009
People need to remember that cops are just a cross section of society. Just like we all know a few people on our job who are bad people and yes, some who are basically good people, but just do something incredibly dumb. There is probably a back story here of debt or mental illness I'm guessing. Either way, now is not the time to rip on him, but to feel so sorry for his wife and kids he just left behind. No husband, no dad and no money since life insurance and workers comp probably will not pay because it is a suicide. Heart breaking.
Marchbaby

Little Hocking, OH

#8 Oct 7, 2009
He still had so much to live for... To bad it is to late for him to learn this. I am sure he will be missed by his children and wife. My heart goes out to them.
HOMER

Pickerington, OH

#9 Oct 7, 2009
There is good and bad out there. It doesn't matter what job you have. You can't judge the whole police dept. by one bad apple.
charlie

Westerville, OH

#10 Oct 7, 2009
Thankfully I read the Bible and one thing that keeps me in check is the scripture that says "Your sin will find you out." Certainly he had some type of pathological condition. I know someone who is a pathological liar and he is always suffering from some incurable disease. Unfortunately you don't believe him when something might be true. He said his mother was dying and I didn't believe him until I read the obituary. But to dupe your coworkers is beyond lying, that's fraud and punishable.
Hilliard Man

Columbus, OH

#11 Oct 7, 2009
How would someone carry this out for several years without actually going for any treatments? Wouldn't someone be suspicious if there were no insurance claims, etc? Just curious.

“jimmy agler”

Since: Jul 09

grandview hts

#12 Oct 7, 2009
man,first we read about a lady yesterday getting 8 years for a cancer scam,now this.my wife has cancer and there is a special place in hell for the people.

“jimmy agler”

Since: Jul 09

grandview hts

#13 Oct 7, 2009
Marchbaby wrote:
He still had so much to live for... To bad it is to late for him to learn this. I am sure he will be missed by his children and wife. My heart goes out to them.
my prayer go out to his family,but not him,first he pulls one of the most disgusting scams there is,then he took the cowards way out.he will answer to a higher authority than us.
Dr Overcharge

Grove City, OH

#14 Oct 7, 2009
How bout the wife? Man, there are all kinds of questions. Insurance forms, billing for the treaments? Who drove him to chemo? You can't pull this off very easy. Will some JOUNALIST please ask a bunch of questions??? In the old days someone would be on this story.
Misses Joe Russell

Lewis Center, OH

#15 Oct 7, 2009
Jone wrote:
What a pathetic person. I was scammed by him.
No he was not pathetic...he was a wonderful human being and I don't believe a word of this story to be true. With the recent cancer scam in Delaware, Joe is being targeted and unfairly so. He underwent chemotherapy and his appearance at that time is proof of this. You do not put yourself through that treatment for a few thousand dollars and no doctor would perform it unecessarily. His family and friends are grieving from this tragic loss and his memory is being dragged through the mud. Shame on our media.
DeeDee

Columbus, OH

#16 Oct 7, 2009
My prayers goes out to his wife and children.... They are the true victims in this sad situation.
Bodie

Columbus, OH

#17 Oct 7, 2009
Sheriff should freeze his PERS retirement account until court can determine whatt needs paid back..
ALB

Columbus, OH

#19 Oct 7, 2009
Corruption at it's finest!!! My heart goes out to his wife and children. Could you imagine having to explain this to your child. May God be with them.
IBCNU

Columbus, OH

#23 Oct 7, 2009
WOW! You mean to tell me that the insurance company did not cover his expenses. I sure would not want to be a deputy for any county in Ohio. Wonder if any of the other deputys have insurance policys?
Deputys also came to his home to sit with him during his sickness and he made deputy of the year in 2007, sounds like no one reads the paper, or reads on line news nor asked any questions because he was a sheriff, sounds like we can't trust any federal government employees, state employees, city employees or town employees to make sure that their co-workers are legitimate and doing the right thing. Look at the highway patrol who turned off him camera so his buddies doing 145 mph on the freeway would not be on camera. Wonder if these sheriff's deputys or the sheriff even know what their insurance benefit policys say.
bob

Columbus, OH

#24 Oct 7, 2009
this is not a isolated case of bad lawenforcement personel.that is why we need our constitution to be upheld.officers like this do not need access to our breath,cell phones,computers or cars without a proper search warrant.criminals with a badge.there is no way to pick them out so just how they treat us as guilty until proven innocent they should also be treated. stand up for your right to privacy.speak out and stop there roadway searches.make them accountable for there actions!!
Topper

Chillicothe, OH

#25 Oct 7, 2009
........"The sheriff said he was starting to become suspicious, but that medical privacy laws prevented him from delving into the illnesses of his constantly sick deputy"..........

We'll see more and more of these frauds, because employeers are not allowed question an employees claim of illness.
Columbus just lost in court over a radio tech, who refuses to verify her illnesses....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
!!Add a word drop a word !! (Jun '12) 4 min Mimzy 497
America Held Hostage Day 124 5 min Trouser Cough 17
Trump bungles again, reveals top secret info t... 10 min Trouser Cough 5
Anyone seen Sidekick or Tip 13 min UTrashy 44
Cute note Trump left at Holocaust Memorial 26 min consortium 1
Most Posts Wins 44 min RUNNER 8
America Held Hostage Day 123 1 hr Reality Speaks 92
President Trump's Budget Proposal 8 hr Reality 26

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web