Are you in favor of a ban on assault style rifles?

Created by American Patriot on Jan 12, 2013

364 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

Since: Sep 10

Columbus, OH

#170 Jan 16, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Defense is where toughness lies, who has said otherwise?
It also lies in deeds and not words. As they said about sex in high school, those who talk about it the most, do it the least.

The few suburban commandos (as they see themselves) are more accurately like this:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-repo...
Robert

Lees Summit, MO

#171 Jan 16, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
What is a "partisan sniper?"
Equal opportunity killer!
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#172 Jan 17, 2013
Karl Monday wrote:
<quoted text>And they won the political battle, the data is now off limits in NY.
Until the courts set things straight.

woof
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#173 Jan 17, 2013
Karl Monday wrote:
<quoted text>The public schools are a land of the soft bigotry of low expectations.
Answer honestly Karl: How many decades has it been since you have actually set foot in a public school while classes were in session?

woof
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#174 Jan 17, 2013
Karl Monday wrote:
<quoted text>
You are dealing with a person who thinks that an insurrection is impossible in the US, but denies the obvious fact that 12 years later the Taliban are not defeated.
Let's see. I wonder if there are any substantive differences in either culture, or the socioeconomic or political climates of the United States of America and Afghanistan that might render the analytical value of such an analogy meaningless?

hmmmmmmm

woof
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#175 Jan 17, 2013

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#177 Jan 17, 2013
Jon Stewart, as always, provides a witty summation:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/17/jon-...

Location hidden

#178 Jan 17, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
And on a completely unrelated note, but certain to draw crude jokes:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/17/health/disg...
woof
Eeeeew.

And you beat hey now to it!
WiseAmerican

Columbus, OH

#179 Jan 17, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see. I wonder if there are any substantive differences in either culture, or the socioeconomic or political climates of the United States of America and Afghanistan that might render the analytical value of such an analogy meaningless?
hmmmmmmm
woof
Right on point! Until these so-called patriots are willing to strap explosives around their 8 year old sons or wives, they will never have the total evil intentions that Islamic fighters have. Fighting for a religion and it's rewards in the afterlife for being a martyr is a far cry from being upset because 'certain guns' are becoming unlawful. And these A-holes have the nerve to criticize Bill Ayers! Hypocritical in my opinion.

Weathermen splintered from the SDS when several members believed that the non-violent protests against the war in Viet Nam and racism at home were not bringing about the desired changes. Due to this belief the Weathermen often used and were criticized for using violence as a way to affect social and political change. The violent overthrow of the U.S. government became their aim. Their methods included what have been described as acts of terrorism which killed many people doing the most active years of the Weathermen, but when the organization realized that the number of deaths caused by their actions was not being well received, they began to take steps to minimize risk to human life before setting off any bombs. They did this by allowing areas to be evacuated before a bomb went off or waiting until night time to set off the bombs, when most targets were closed for the night.

The Weathermen believed that what they were doing was just and necessary in order to stop what they considered acts of violence perpetrated by the U.S. government.
WiseAmerican

Columbus, OH

#180 Jan 17, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
Jon Stewart, as always, provides a witty summation:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/17/jon-...
Oh my goodness!!! And we wonder why things are the way they are? No ATF director for six years because of a Republican senator adding the conformation in the Patriot Act has to be from Congress!!! And there's footage of this creep getting a plague from the NRA! Man, if these Republicans only were more informed about what's really going on with members of their own party who are bought and paid for by lobbyist!!!
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#181 Jan 17, 2013
WiseAmerican wrote:
<quoted text> Oh my goodness!!! And we wonder why things are the way they are? No ATF director for six years because of a Republican senator adding the conformation in the Patriot Act has to be from Congress!!! And there's footage of this creep getting a plague from the NRA! Man, if these Republicans only were more informed about what's really going on with members of their own party who are bought and paid for by lobbyist!!!
They know full well. By and large, the Repubican party is a bunch of one issue voters. They would vote for Satan himself he said the right things about guns, gays and abortion.
WiseAmerican

Columbus, OH

#182 Jan 17, 2013
Kemosahbe wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed, but they are still a tiny percentage of total B&Es.
Most thefts are for drug money. Sooner or later the perp is gonna sell his gun for more drug money. And a true thief won't take a gun with him unless it's an extraordinary situation. He will certainly steal one if he's got a buyer or thinks he will. But the true thief will very rarely use one on the job, and won't get hooked on drugs.
The majority of B&He's are juveniles who dropped out of school and target homes they feel no one is home. They sell the guns they find in the homes to the street dealers. There are some 20 & 30 Somethings who do it also, but they store the stolen goods to sell or barter with at later times. A person on then south side, I think around Parsons, was busted with a house full of stolen stuff. Not all are drug heads.
WiseAmerican

Columbus, OH

#183 Jan 17, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
They know full well. By and large, the Repubican party is a bunch of one issue voters. They would vote for Satan himself he said the right things about guns, gays and abortion.
Absolutely! There are a lot of little Satan's that are in Congress right now that they've put in office because of guns, gays, and abortion issues.
WiseAmerican

Columbus, OH

#184 Jan 17, 2013
Good ideal or not?
We have liability for car insurance and even for our homes if someone slips on ice on our driveway or sidewalk. Liability for gun owners; would it be unconstitutional?

Published: Fri January 11th, 2013
By: Isa-Lee Wolf
Category: Opinion and Editorial
COMMENTARY | A retired Navy commander, left unnamed in this innovative article from the Boston Globe , may have arrived at one of the best suggestions to date for our nationwide gun crisis. The commander thinks that gun owners should have to carry liability insurance for the firearms they own.
The more you think about it, the more brilliant it gets. Scot Lehigh, author of the editorial, goes through most of the reasons why. As with anything that incurs risk, the cost and ease of obtaining the insurance will rely on many factors, such as the mental health of the people in the household and the level of danger and scale of potential damage from the weapon. I'd add that having children in the household should also increase the cost of coverage.

There is a real question as to whether insurers would get on board. If guns really were as benign or risk-free as gun advocates like to claim, then there would be no problem in this regard. But, of course, they're not.

On Thursday, a 16-year-old student in California shot another student with a shotgun before surrendering his weapon. On Tuesday, a 12-year-old boy in Alabama was accidentally shot and killed by his 12-year-old cousin. The boy wanted to show his cousin the gun he got for Christmas; Alabama reportedly does not have restrictions prohibiting children from using guns according to the local CBS42.

Would either of these youngsters have access to guns if their parents had to insure them?
Posting at work

Akron, OH

#186 Jan 17, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Until the courts set things straight.
woof
The courts have never struck down a law restricting access to gun permit information, the Plain Dealer tried to do this in Ohio, and failed.
Posting at work

Akron, OH

#187 Jan 17, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
What is a "partisan sniper?"
In WWII, the resistance against the Nazi occupation were called "partisans", I presume that "partisan sniper" means someone operating like a WWII partisan resistance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yugoslav_Partisa...
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#188 Jan 17, 2013
Posting at work wrote:
<quoted text>
In WWII, the resistance against the Nazi occupation were called "partisans", I presume that "partisan sniper" means someone operating like a WWII partisan resistance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yugoslav_Partisa...
Who would they snipe?

Location hidden

#189 Jan 17, 2013
WiseAmerican wrote:
<quoted text> The majority of B&He's are juveniles who dropped out of school and target homes they feel no one is home. They sell the guns they find in the homes to the street dealers. There are some 20 & 30 Somethings who do it also, but they store the stolen goods to sell or barter with at later times. A person on then south side, I think around Parsons, was busted with a house full of stolen stuff. Not all are drug heads.
I saw that. When I worked in the South End we had a pretty high recovery rate on stolen goods (cash excepted). Some stuff we found dropped in the nearest alley. Other stuff turned up in nearby pawn shops. Other stuff was brought back to us by kids we knew who knew it belonged to us.

Had one stupid quasi-staff member one time who left his leather jacket lying around. Took about a minute after it walked to piece together who took it. When the po po showed up at the person's house I got a phone call from the alleged (someone I had worked with when they were a kid) trying to whine about why the police were there, they didn't do anything. I just flat out said I believed that they did. Turned into a bargaining session--what if I bring it back? Told them to try it and see. Jacket came back.
Posting at work

Akron, OH

#190 Jan 17, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Who would they snipe?
If you are a "rebel" you are against the "regime" or "government"
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#191 Jan 17, 2013
Posting at work wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are a "rebel" you are against the "regime" or "government"
Well the original poster said the partisan snipers would be the result of gun control. So in that case, who would they snipe?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Public Flogging 8 min Blemhein LMAO 5
Merry Christmas! What's your favorite memory? 8 min Duke for Mayor 244
CIA Torture Report Comes Out Tomorrow 12 min Reality Speaks 285
MixedRelation.com The best and largest commun... 18 min Christ Get A Clue 8
Columbus 24 Hour Plumber Shares Christmas Plumb... 40 min Blemhein LMAO 2
Topix gets rid of Canton and Twinsburg posters!!! 1 hr Big Papa Tea 16
Was the "War On Christmas" cancelled this year? 2 hr I Do Know 1
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web