Placenta nutrients might aid new moms...

Placenta nutrients might aid new moms | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 23 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Oct 8, 2010, titled Placenta nutrients might aid new moms | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Kelsie Meyers, holding 6-month-old Marion, is shown with her husband, Kyle, and three other children.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sacred birther

Columbus, OH

#1 Oct 8, 2010
thank you for bringing some attention to this subject. I suffered from extreme mood swings and was severely depressed after my first child and decided to try this for my second. I had read about it for some time and knew I couldn't afford to not try it. I have to say the postpartum difference between the two births were night and day. This is something worth considering for anyone who wishes to facilitate and balanced recovery.
Macktrapper

Newark, OH

#2 Oct 8, 2010
If this is helpful, that's a great thing, but I'm about to gag.
The Best you got

Columbus, OH

#4 Oct 8, 2010
Macktrapper wrote:
If this is helpful, that's a great thing, but I'm about to gag.
eh, yeah. Indeed.
Tia

Reynoldsburg, OH

#6 Oct 8, 2010
This is AWESOME! I am so proud of The Dispatch for covering placenta consumption/encapsulation! I was helped profoundly post-partum by my caps. I continue to be helped during my cycle. This was one of the best choices I made pospartum. Great Article!
Birth Supporter

Ashley, OH

#7 Oct 8, 2010
Great article, Dispatch! Kuddos for shedding light on this topic. While I know it certainly has the "gross" factor for many people - it can be a very valuable tool in reducing postpartum depression in some women. Thanks!
AmberDru

Columbus, OH

#8 Oct 8, 2010
Cannibalism?
OH YEAH

Dublin, OH

#9 Oct 8, 2010
YUM!! Some society's actually eat the placenta. Flavor it with some Flava beans and a nice chianti and you have yourself a nice, nutritious meal!
Jen S

Columbus, OH

#10 Oct 8, 2010
Thank you for this article! I chose placenta encapsulation when my daughter was born in 2008. It wasn't something I knew much about before my midwife (a certified encapsulator) suggested it and having been through a very difficult period of depression after my son was born two years earlier, I decided to give it a try. It only cost $75 and my midwife brought my capsules to me less than 2 days after I gave birth. They were easy to take and I really believe that they helped me to feel so much better in the weeks after giving birth.
I got a variety of reactions from people I told about it and there were others I just didn't even mention it to because I knew the response would be unfavorable. But as someone in the article pointed out, this isn't some far-out idea that a few eccentric people think is nice. A significant number of mothers in and around Columbus, probably in the hundreds by now, have made this simple and effective choice for their postpartum health. I would recommend encapsulation to any woman who is interested in a natural way to keep hormones balanced after birth and especially to anyone who has suffered from postpartum depression in the past.
Anyone who wants more information should check the site placentabenefits.info
Jen S

Columbus, OH

#11 Oct 8, 2010
@AmberDru: no, it's not cannibalism, which is the (highly offensive) eating of another person.

Consumption of placenta capsules is as simple as this: a woman's own placenta is dried, powdered, and encapsulated, meaning it is put inside small pills that you simply swallow.

Two different things entirely.

Since: Jun 10

Canal Winchester, OH

#12 Oct 8, 2010
Aha!
Another new fad in back-alley medicine.
Medicine? Based on what? Anecdotes? Old wives tales?
Eventually, there will be enough folk-lore publicity that someone will come up with the funds for an honest scientific study. At that point, the ideal will most likely go the way of the Dodo.
Jen S

Columbus, OH

#14 Oct 8, 2010
FreeloaderFred wrote:
Aha!
Eventually, there will be enough folk-lore publicity that someone will come up with the funds for an honest scientific study. At that point, the ideal will most likely go the way of the Dodo.
No alleys involved ;) My midwife came to the front door...of my home...where I wanted her to be.

It's not medicine. It's a nutritional supplement and if it helps women (it does!) to avoid postpartum depression and subsequent treatment with medications that they may not wish to have, especially while breastfeeding, then there is no reason why it should not be a choice.

(Also, I'm from Columbus, not sure why it thinks I'm from CA)
Eliza

Columbus, OH

#15 Oct 8, 2010
Thank you Misti for writing about this topic! It's been tweeted all over and sent all over facebook as well.
I know for sure when I get pregnant with my next child I will have Amy encapsulate my placenta. The benefits are worth it to myself and my family. Plus if I don't use them all I can save them for menopause.
To the naysayers- no one is saying you MUST ingest your placenta, but it's good to know this option is here in our community.
Worthington mom

Columbus, OH

#16 Oct 8, 2010
Bravo to the Dispatch for covering this. I gave birth 2 weeks ago and have been taking the capsules, and I have much more strength and vitality than I did after my first daughter was born years ago. Even herbivorous animals like cows eat their placentas after giving birth. Our own placentas are tailor made for our postpartum needs. I can understand the initial grossout factor but I'd remind folks that we humans somehow don't blink at swallowing capsules of animal liver concentrate when we take iron supplements, etc. Anyway I was very happy with the encapsulation service. My wonderful midwives brought me my capsules a few days after the birth when they came to my house for one of the postpartum followup visits (yes they come to your house just like doctors used to do once upon a time). I am so thankful that this service exists here in central Ohio!
OSU student

Dublin, OH

#17 Oct 8, 2010
Worthington mom wrote:
Bravo to the Dispatch for covering this. I gave birth 2 weeks ago and have been taking the capsules, and I have much more strength and vitality than I did after my first daughter was born years ago. Even herbivorous animals like cows eat their placentas after giving birth. Our own placentas are tailor made for our postpartum needs. I can understand the initial grossout factor but I'd remind folks that we humans somehow don't blink at swallowing capsules of animal liver concentrate when we take iron supplements, etc. Anyway I was very happy with the encapsulation service. My wonderful midwives brought me my capsules a few days after the birth when they came to my house for one of the postpartum followup visits (yes they come to your house just like doctors used to do once upon a time). I am so thankful that this service exists here in central Ohio!
Placebo effect.
Radar U

Delaware, OH

#18 Oct 8, 2010
Why not?
Granted,we don't have to consume the placenta for reason #1,but reason #2 is a valid point.
The reason animals eat the placenta is twofold.
#1.To hide the smell,blood and evidence from predators to protect both the young and the mother from detection.
#2.For the nutrients and vital minerals that remain in the placenta after birth.The mother requires these nutrients to rebuild her body strength and integrity back up.
Sure,the thought sounds hideous,but,youo're not eating it as animals do.It would be dehydrated,granulated and given in pill form.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#19 Oct 8, 2010
Well that was disgusting!
OSU student

Dublin, OH

#20 Oct 8, 2010
The placenta is the fetus' bathroom. I think I just vomited in my mouth a little!
Westerville Dad

United States

#21 Oct 8, 2010
FreeloaderFred wrote:
Aha!
You might try doing a little research before making a post like this.

http://www.placentabenefits.info/research.asp

There are multiple scientific studies dating back over 50 years on this supplement. Not to mention Traditional Chinese Medicine has been using it for 100's of years.

It also follows logically that when a mother loses almost 20% of the Iron in her body (when she loses the placenta), this would cause an anemic/ fatigue reaction. It is also an emotional rollercoaster when she loses all those hormones. Why not avoid that?

And to those who think it is placebo. Placebo has been accounted for in the Studies. I think that more study is definitely in everyone's interest. The more we know, the better.

My wife has had two wonderful babymoons because of it. Thank you for covering this in the Dispatch!
Dr Yuck

Newark, OH

#22 Oct 9, 2010
OSU student wrote:
The placenta is the fetus' bathroom. I think I just vomited in my mouth a little!
Don't worry about it. It's just going back where it came from.
hilary

Akron, OH

#23 Oct 10, 2010
of course this would get bad and good publicity....BUT women shouldnt let either sway them. The placenta belongs to the woman so what she wants to do with it is her business. People will judge, that's what humans have been doing for a very very very looooong time. The internet just makes people more brazen about their judgemental-ness than they would otherwise be. A very curious thing indeed. I personally chose to have my placenta encapsulated, life is too short to pussy foot around not trying things you wonder about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Russia Investigation 9 min Male 14
Erase ObamaCare, It Doesn't Work, Its Unaffordable 13 min d pants 2
Ramadan, Does Anyone Understand It? 17 min d pants 21
Dems in disarray- Well, yeah! 1 hr Male 225
Obama Hiding Documents In A Library 1 hr d pants 10
A taste of their own 3 hr d pants 260
News Judge temporarily shuts down strip club after v... 10 hr They cannot kill ... 1
Robert Mueller Investigating Donald Trump 17 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 173
Health Care/The Wall 18 hr Reality 103

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages